Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUC and SDC question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK if the second itinerary RUC upgrade would clear from a single RUC, it would not be possible to switch the "payment" for the upgrade to a different RUC unless there's additional available upgrade space at that time. In other words, you wouldn't necessarily be free to just swap cert numbers without going back on the waitlist for upgrade inventory.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand that RUCs/GUCs aren't used if the requested upgrade was never confirmed, but the issue is whether there's a lag before they can be reapplied to a new flight. My guess would be potentially yes, but I've never tried to do this. There's surely something preventing a single RUC/GUC being used to waitlist several itineraries for upgrades. Maybe it's as simple as deleting the details of the previously requested flights and entering details for the new flights, but my impression is that the RUCs/GUCs are attached to a reservation somehow.
In my opinion as an observer of the RUC waitlist process for a few years and having discerned some clues from the details of the RUC T&C rules, an RUC upgrade request is just a very specific string of text that an agent types into a PNR (essentially, a structured comment).

Until the RUC is actually used as currency, the RUC is OPEN. There's nothing else here - no pending status, no data base, no nothing. It's just strings of text (essentially structured comments) added to a PNR. If the text is incorrect in just one character, the automation will refuse to use the RUC as currency to reissue the ticket and the request is ignored. And the kicker is that the agent has to type these structured text fields in manually - perfectly - and there is no error checking or validation at all.

It is actually amazing anyone ever gets RUC upgrades. What a dumb process.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you. I appreciate all the replies.

I have more than 1 RUC so even if there was a lag that should not be in issue (though I understand there is no lag regardless).

The main issue would be to go to the back of the line, but I think I'll take the risk as there are several seats open vs. 0 on my current flight. To be honest, I have used GUCs quite a few times, but this is my first attempting to use a RUC.

I will find out how competitive the upgrade list is soon
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Take a look in the upgrade cert T&Cs at the bottom and it details how to place requests and the comments needed. It is quite complicated and easy to make a typo.

For example, it states to refer to KM global upgrade instructions, and below is for travel agents but the general info is still similar:

Delta requires a minimum of two OSIs in the PNR. The first OSI advises what type of upgrade will be used and the second OSI provides the certificate information.

OSI DL GLOBAL UPGRADE

If flight is DL designated and you are using Amadeus:
OS DL UPGD. 006065xxxxxxx 99999999X PU590 ORGDST

The above upgrade request must be entered for each segment.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You can waitlist one RUC on multiple reservations. Whichever clears first is the one that it gets used on. However if you still wish to upgrade the other you must start with another UC and a fresh time stamp.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Both Twitter and an agent have told me that SDC with a RUC that has cleared does not transfer over the upgrade (would go back to the waitlist). Is this a new change or are they BSing me?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
“Both Twitter and an agent have told me that SDC with a RUC that has cleared does not transfer over the upgrade (would go back to the waitlist). Is this a new change or are they BSing me?”HUCA. They gave you the wrong answer. Cleared RUCs are considered paid instrument upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
“Both Twitter and an agent have told me that SDC with a RUC that has cleared does not transfer over the upgrade (would go back to the waitlist). Is this a new change or are they BSing me?”HUCA. They gave you the wrong answer. Cleared RUCs are considered paid instrument upgrades.

Talked with CS about this. Some Agents are apparently, by training, referencing the terms for the RUC/miles upgrade. The policy on them says if you change your ticket you must reclear. However this is for changes outside SDC. The SDC policy specifically says you don't have to reclear. Luckily they added a note to my account pointing agent to the correct section within SDC pplicy.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah unfortunately the change and SDC are different for upgrade instruments, so it makes it confusing and many agents say the upgrade doesn't carry.

Once you have the RUC cleared and ticket reissued, you have a first or business class ticket and can SDC into F/J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.