Wiki Posts
Search

Connection question from SPN>HKG>SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Connection question from SPN>HKG>SEA

I need help with the following upcoming trip please...
I am flying from SPN>HKG at 4.40 am arriving at 8.10 am with checked-in luggage on HK Express.
Then I'm flying from HKG>SEA>SFO at 10.35 am the same morning on DL. My question is will HK Express check my bag through to SFO? If not, what happens when I arrive at HKG? I would be in transit at that point, and would I still have to go through Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs, and then re-check my bag with DL? That does not give me much time with less than 2 1/2 hrs layover to connect to the DL flight, but I assume that it's doable! Thoughts anyone please?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
According to EF, UO does not interline bags with DL. Assume you must claim luggage in HKG and recheck with DL.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
One ticket or two? If one ticket, then your luggage should be checked all the way through. If two, then it's up to HK Express whether they're willing to send it to DL or not at HKG, and frankly, I would not bet money on that. So you would have to do exactly as you say--go through immigration, get your bag, check it at the DL desk, and then go through emigration. 2.5 hours is enough time to do all that at HKG but not by much, and of course if the HK Express flight is late, then DL doesn't have to help you at all.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
It would be on two tickets, as I shall be in HK for four days before flying to SPN, unless there is a way to put all the flights onto one ticket. Routing is SFO>SEA>HKG on DL (for four days). HKG>SPN>HKG (on UO) and then on the same day HKG>SEA>SFO on DL.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
If one ticket, then your luggage should be checked all the way through.
Only if there's an interline agreement, which according to mnbp there isn't, so putting the flights on one ticket won't help.

This is an itinerary requiring a moderately high risk tolerance, IMO. Keep in mind the DL flight will start boarding around 9:45, and bag drop will close at T-60 (9:35). That gives you 1:25 to get off the plane, clear immigration, claim your bags, get to the check-in counter, and check-in. It'll probably work out, but if it doesn't it may be a mess to clean up.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
What you need to do is doable unless the inbound flight is late as there is a check-in bags cutoff time limit that is airport clock controlled.

Issues you need to aware of:

HK Express is a quasi-LCC. As someone used to Skypriority bag service waiting for bags from LCC at HKG can be painfully slow.
However once the bags are claimed it is exit, up to departure check in and drop the bags off.
Skypriority check in line is always very short at HKG for DL38.^

There is no quick immigration line (unless you qualify to use egates).

There is no priority security line. There are usually many noobs going through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.