Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Highways Traffic Warning for Fri 31 MAR 17

ATL Highways Traffic Warning for Fri 31 MAR 17

Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't have quite that much. Secondary issue is Feb 1st I had a motorcycle accident and fractured my pelvis. Now I'm back working so carrying all the extra stuff isn't fun

And yes... North Springs long term is going to be jammed for sure. I'm sure many have my same idea. And agree again... I'm going to leave extra early and just sit in the SC.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Don't forget PDK and FTY! They could make a killing on a new category of flights - USH (Ultra Short Haul)
I'd love an ATL-PDK shuttle -- my mom lives not too far from PDK
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:47 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
my mom lives not too far from PDK
Wow! So, there really is a "PODUNK"?!?

Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I'd love an ATL-PDK shuttle -- my mom lives not too far from PDK
I've never pulled the trigger, but have seriously looked at ImagineAir and Southern Airways and the like from PDK. It's quite a premium, but if they go where you want to be I can see the appeal. Also, I can just about walk to PDK if I wanted to...would be a wonderful airport commute.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
It was a joke - that Delta would run USH flights from ATL to Charlie Brown Field (~11 air miles), Peachtree Dekalb Airport (~18.5 air miles), and Gwinnett County Airport (~35 air miles).
I realize you are joking, but this might be an opening a helicopter service from Gwinnett County to ATL.

Obviously commuters will not pay for such, but I could see a good uptake for biz visitors in town paying $100 or so for such while the "situation" exists.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I realize you are joking, but this might be an opening a helicopter service from Gwinnett County to ATL.

Obviously commuters will not pay for such, but I could see a good uptake for biz visitors in town paying $100 or so for such while the "situation" exists.
I'd agree. Definitely would seem viable.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I didn't know what that was until I read this thread, but I see PDK airport all the time from the air flying the DCA-ATL route.

Could DL start flying an emergency PDK-ATL shuttle until I-85 gets put back together? Is there a terminal at PDK where security could be handled? What is the parking situation like? I see from airnav.com that PDK's main runway 3R/21L is 6,001 feet long, and could handle the likes of an MD-88, A-319 or 737-800.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
Wow! So, there really is a "PODUNK"?!?

https://mobile.twitter.com/nwspodunk?lang=en

They even have their own NWS -
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; SPG Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; UA Silver
Originally Posted by EditingFX
I'm wondering about the MARTA North Springs station & parking; there's a large deck, but that's it. I don't think there's any additional space nearby, unless AT&T opens their deck temporarily to MARTA (I think it's AT&T parking next deck over).

North Springs is a GREAT option to Hartsfield from the north, but it can't handle long term parking for Hartsfield and extra riders from this mess.
In addition, both Sandy Springs and Dunwoody stations on the red line (one and two stops from North Springs), and Doraville station on the gold line have long-term parking decks. I always use Sandy Springs station and one-way trip to the airport is about 40 minutes. Great alternative if you live nearby. Btw, from time to time I see Delta crew members commute on red line trains.

Last edited by sqg13; Apr 2, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ND76
I didn't know what that was until I read this thread, but I see PDK airport all the time from the air flying the DCA-ATL route.
I've got a window-seat picture of FTY.

The open pit mines are sorta neat to see too.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
If I can figure out how to get them back to the northside after the pax dedrones (it's like deplaning, but off a drone), there's money to be made.....

Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by EditingFX
If I can figure out how to get them back to the northside after the pax dedrones (it's like deplaning, but off a drone), there's money to be made.....
Just fill them with people arriving at ATL and needing to get to the northside...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ND76

Could DL start flying an emergency PDK-ATL shuttle until I-85 gets put back together? Is there a terminal at PDK where security could be handled? What is the parking situation like? I see from airnav.com that PDK's main runway 3R/21L is 6,001 feet long, and could handle the likes of an MD-88, A-319 or 737-800.
I don't think this is feasible

1. There is not much parking at PDK
2. You have to get landing slots at ATL... working these flights into the system isn't going to happen overnight
3. There are lot of restrictions on this one due to noise as it's right in the middle of the city.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I don't think this is feasible

1. There is not much parking at PDK
2. You have to get landing slots at ATL... working these flights into the system isn't going to happen overnight
3. There are lot of restrictions on this one due to noise as it's right in the middle of the city.
Agree. PDK is a great thought, but the place simply isn't set up for commercial flights at all. And the neighbors pitch a fit anytime something larger than a single-prop comes in for a landing.

Whatever resources would go into making PDK commercially accessible, I'd rather have routed to improving MARTA service or fixing I85 faster.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by gooselee
And the neighbors pitch a fit anytime something larger than a single-prop comes in for a landing.
Can you blame them? Either the sellers and Real Estate Agents hid the airport from them when they purchased their homes or they expect that if they purchased a home near an airport the airport would be closed so they wouldn't have to suffer the noise. Either way, these people shouldn't have to put up with airport noise just because they chose to purchase a home near an airport.

Kinda like the woman a few years ago who bought a house off of Cheshire Bridge and tried to get dozens of legally operating adult businesses shut down because Cheshire Bridge isn't that kind of neighborhood. You had to wonder what type of neighborhood she thought it was given the plethora of adult businesses there when she bought her house.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.