Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL Highways Traffic Warning for Fri 31 MAR 17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Highways Traffic Warning for Fri 31 MAR 17

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
How does this even happen -- a spontaneous fire underneath an overpass severe enough to cause the concrete to collapse?
An early news report said plastic pipes stored under the freeways were burning.

Here are my assumptions in light of that report:

1. The pipe, and there was probablly a whole lot of it, was probably the type called "ADS". This pipe is black viny-like material that is ribbed on the outside and smooth on the inside. The stuff is very light and easy to install, but you can get it to catch fire with a lighter. Big disadvange, and bums setting camp fires in large diameter sections have been known to set it on fire.
(PVC is typically used for smaller diameters, and it doesn't burn as easily.)

2. Reinforced concrete is not resistant to a direct and intense fire. The concrete gets brittle and the rebar melts. Not surprising that the bridge span above the fire collapses.

3. Probably not the best of practices to store combustables under a bridge.

4. Driving though a black smoking fire on a bridge is dangerous to suicidal. I am amazed no one died doing that.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
How does this even happen -- a spontaneous fire underneath an overpass severe enough to cause the concrete to collapse?
One of General Sherman's descendants set the fire.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by diverdave
One of General Sherman's descendants set the fire.
TOO SOON

EDIT: wow, the first time I posted this it got converted to all lowercase, maybe because TOO SOON was all caps and the emoji is colon-capital-D -- hidden FT "feature" I guess

EDIT #2 : seems this is a long-standing feature that I've just never run across. But it downcased the quoted part too. If it's smart enough to exclude the quoted part to decide if I typed in all caps shouldn't it be smart enough not to convert the quoted part also?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
It actually happens fairly regularly. A bad enough accident (especially with a fire) can do a lot of damage. I was in DTW a few years ago when a tanker hit one of the I-75 bridges near 9-mile. Took months for the bridge to be replaced.

I do feel sorry for the ATL commuters or anyone transiting the area. Going to be a big mess for months to come.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
CBS is reporting that inspectors have found damage on 85 southbound lanes and will need to take down/rebuild part of that side, as well.
Wow. That's going to be a complete mess for months. I thought driving through Atlanta was bad before... Prior proper planning many years ago would've had a bypass toll road that completely skips the entire area with no exits or entrances en route. Some private company could've made a mint charging $20 a car to bypass one of the worst planned cities.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by rafalojc
Wow. That's going to be a complete mess for months. I thought driving through Atlanta was bad before... Prior proper planning many years ago would've had a bypass toll road that completely skips the entire area with no exits or entrances en route. Some private company could've made a mint charging $20 a car to bypass one of the worst planned cities.
Well, they are adding more pieces of toll roads on the Interstates in and around ATL. Here in Orlando, they did find a private consortium to build 4 toll lanes in the middle of I-4 going through town. It will be interesting to see when it is finished how much they charge (it will be variable pricing depending on the demand).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rafalojc
We're not one of the worst planned cities in the world. That would imply there was some level of planning.

I've lived/worked in DC as well, which is a highly planned city. I suppose I'm biased, but I thought traffic in and around DC was far, far worse than Atlanta (under regular circumstances - both cities of course have extraordinary events like snowstorms, massive wrecks, bridges collapsing, etc.).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
LA lost two sections of I10 in 1994 due to the Northridge earthquake. At the time (and may still be) one of the busiest highways in the US.

Took 3 months to replace and that was 70 or so days ahead of schedule. Contractor was paid $200K bonus for every day early -- so he got a $14 Mil bonus.

One thing was they literally worked 24/7 -- they got exceptions from regulations about how early/late construction could go on. Some people close to the site were upset (I guess I would be too) but also got the street traffic out of their neighborhoods nearly twice as fast.

So I feel for the folks in ATL...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:58 pm

Yeah I think we need to prepare to PAY to get this done ASAP! This is not a time for "low bid contracting"
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
We're not one of the worst planned cities in the world. That would imply there was some level of planning.

I've lived/worked in DC as well, which is a highly planned city. I suppose I'm biased, but I thought traffic in and around DC was far, far worse than Atlanta (under regular circumstances - both cities of course have extraordinary events like snowstorms, massive wrecks, bridges collapsing, etc.).
Good point. Sprawl on the north side of Atlanta is completely of their own doing.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Amazing pics online. Ajc.com
Whats worse the upcoming snow storm in the Northeast, this bridge outage and opening of a new Stadium or 75 degrees weather in the SF Bay Area with clear blue skies?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Yeah I think we need to prepare to PAY to get this done ASAP! This is not a time for "low bid contracting"
Wasn't aware there was any other type of government contracting.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Doesn't seem to be spontaneous.

AJC reporting three suspects in custody. At least one is suspected of setting the fire. Also reporting the three in custody are homeless.

Sad all around.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:50 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Just add it onto Mexico's tab.

Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:37 pm

Ideally they could pre-fab the section, or at least the major pieces, off-site and then bring it in and put it together in a weekend! But alas, it is Atlanta soo.....probably not going to happen.

The Dutch built an entire TUNNEL under a busy highway in one weekend!
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...unnel-building

Last edited by Burj; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.