Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you avoid short connection times?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Same here. As well as it being somewhat route dependent.

First flight of they day in to a hub with 20 different possible later flights? Sure, book that MCT connection, I'll risk it.

Mid-day flight that catches the last flight of the day or a once daily connection? Lets pad that out a bit.
I guess for me (us I suppose) it's risk vs. reward. If I take the 30-45 min connection over the 2 hour connection, I can keep ~90 minutes of my time either at home or my destination. I'll only gamble for those 90 minutes if I'm only risking 2-3 hours. If I'm gambling 4+ hours or a forced overnight, the odds are no longer in favor of the 90 min savings.

It's a conservative strategy, but maybe it's because I've (and most of us here) seen what can really go wrong with poor planning.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I tend to try give myself a little time if I need to connect, especially if it is the last flight of the day to my destination. Luckily for me, its mostly at SLC.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Some of us can work where-ever we are. Have laptop and cell phone - check. OK then, I'm at the office.
This applies for me as well. So in most cases whatever I do to kill time during a layover is something I was going to do when I got where I was going anyway, thus I haven't really lost anything by increasing my connection time (or for that matter, taking a longer routing, since what I'm doing usually doesn't require low latency or high bandwidth, so as long as Gogo is vaguely usable... )

I realize that doesn't work for everyone though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:33 pm

Being a bargain seeker, in addition to maintaining a good seat, place to put luggage, etc., a major reason is this: Having bought a NW lifetime lounge pass, I want to get the most for my money. This means allowing enough connection time to use it for myself and guests as many times as possible in the Skyclubs. It's down to $6.80 per admission and still dropping. Needless to say, the improved food has made the visits more enjoyable.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by rcurry01
1) If I miss my connection because of delays, that is Delta's problem, not mine. They still need to get me to my destination.
If I have a 10 day vacation, I don't want to lose one of them because a misconnect on a once-or-twice daily international flight. Being re-accommodated also means losing my selected aisle seat or possibly being not seated near my wife. Once, the only replacement availability (due to a cruise departure) was a Jetblue economy seat when I had paid for AA F. I was glad to make it but the reimbursement for the wrong cabin didn't fully compensate me.

If I can avoid those types of situations by planning a longer layover, so be it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Being a bargain seeker, in addition to maintaining a good seat, place to put luggage, etc., a major reason is this: Having bought a NW lifetime lounge pass, I want to get the most for my money. This means allowing enough connection time to use it for myself and guests as many times as possible in the Skyclubs. It's down to $6.80 per admission and still dropping. Needless to say, the improved food has made the visits more enjoyable.
Do you buy flights with connections when a nonstop is available just to max it out?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Being MEM based and having what seems like 90% of my flights go through ATL, I usually pick the short connection. This is especially true on the way home because if I miss one flight, there is another leaving an hour after it.

That said, those choices are for work travel, where I'm travelling alone and usually arrive the day before and leave the day after any meetings I have.

For leisure travel, I want to maximize my time at the destination, but I prefer the 1+ connections because my wife and/or kids are with me, placing a premium on keeping routing/seats in tact. I have a trip to San Diego planned where I had to book a 38 min connection via ATL because we can't make the earlier departure from MEM due to childcare arrangements. I'm a little nervous about that one because if we missconnect, we lose the whole day in SAN (12:45pm arrival vs almost 7pm arrival).

And as anyone who has young kids knows, vacations without the kids (as this one is) DEMAND maximizing your time at the destination!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
Also, people tend to put really weird valuation on things like lounges.
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you buy flights with connections when a nonstop is available just to max it out?
I mostly agree with you, in that I would not add a connection or lengthen one for the purpose of visiting one. Although, all other things being equal, schedule permitting etc. I might book a slightly longer connection after a redeye if would give me time for a shower.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
This is a really advanced concept a lot of people don't understand. Some people are willing to trade efficency for more certainty, obviously, and that's not inherently a bad choice but a lot of people don't really think about how much they're giving up and what they're getting in return.

Also, people tend to put really weird valuation on things like lounges.
"Weird" is in the eye of the beholder and is going to vary from person to person. And this forum is filled with users that many other people would find "weird" for finding value in airline status (and who do "weird" things to achieve it). I have family member who find it "weird" that I would pay $400 to fly DL when AA is $350 and Spirit is $250.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Timely thread. I was agonizing over a 45 minute connection at SEA. If I get in late there is an AS flight I can get pushed to.

I am going to let it ride and not worry.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I've had no fear of short connections at most airports.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I avoid it as much as possible, unless I am certain that the flight has a consistent record of arriving at a given time and that airport transit time is minimal (e.g. connecting flight is within the same terminal). Although the airline is obligated to book you a new flight and provide additional compensation where required, it just isn't worth the stress or headache to deal with GAs and customer service to get it sorted out.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Leisure traveller priorities here:
AMS: 5 hours please (lounge, maybe shower); 9 is cool too for daytrips;
CDG: 4 or 5 hours mandatory (inc. lounge, shower);
ATL: 3 hours - - thunderstorms then no real problem;
MSP DTW even SLC: 1 hour generally okay; 3 hours okay too;
LGA: always 3 hours plus - - delays are the norm;

One hour quickies are nice: 1) if there is protection on a later flight; 2) if losing the prime seat on the ongoing connection does not represent disaster; 3) if VDB is not in the picture (longer layovers allow time for schmoozing at the gate). But international connections? Three hours minimum, 5 hours no problem; more than that can be a benefit sometimes, in fun connecting cities.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Of course. (You've got my number) And it is usually a less expensive fare.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keith2004
I tend to do 1.5 hrs minimum for domestic and 2 hr minimum for international, especially if their is only 1 international flight per day to that destination.

But I don't mind waiting 1-2 hrs in the airport, especially if I can go to the Skyclub

30-45 mins is a definite no-go for me, but I'm risk averse when I travel and rather travel my original itinerary

That is pretty much my policy on each point. Having a buffer makes it less stressful. Also, I fly First and nothing will screw up my trip more than having to fly coach because I didn't make my connection. I do have to emphasize that Sky Clubs do make connections a lot more tenable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.