Community
Wiki Posts
Search

@Delta having a little fun

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
I can't speak for UA but on DL, I don't have to pay for the UM service.

But on a nonstop only, unless there is a diversion there isn't much to UM
However, you would fill out the UM paperwork well in advance, right, and not at the gate when the child is cleared onto the flight? That's the timing issue that I don't think would be possible.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, you would fill out the UM paperwork well in advance, right, and not at the gate when the child is cleared onto the flight? That's the timing issue that I don't think would be possible.
Correct all the paperwork is filled out at special services. At the smaller outstation it's done at the ticket counter, before even entering security. I honestly don't even know if the GA has the envelope/braclets on hand. But I've never worked at the airport so I wouldn't know for sure. But I do know they would not be very happy about it.

Theorectically I could make a record with both of us listed and just not board the flight, but 10 minutes at the special services counter doesn't feel inconvenient enough to risk my job.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
I honestly don't even know if the GA has the envelope/braclets on hand. But I've never worked at the airport so I wouldn't know for sure. But I do know they would not be very happy about it.
Since Medallions can upgrade and leave their kids in the main cabin now, gates started keeping UM envelopes and bracelets stocked sometime last year for last-minute UM paperwork. I know some gate agents who would let you take your non rev kid back to the ticket counter to check-in there for the envelope. If I had time, I would fill out the envelope, but I wouldn't guarantee it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
Since Medallions can upgrade and leave their kids in the main cabin now, gates started keeping UM envelopes and bracelets stocked sometime last year for last-minute UM paperwork. I know some gate agents who would let you take your non rev kid back to the ticket counter to check-in there for the envelope. If I had time, I would fill out the envelope, but I wouldn't guarantee it.
I learn something everyday from you! It's honestly invaluable to me in Sales as I know how things are SUPPOSED to work in the airport. But I know that's not how things actually work.

But I imagine the GA would not be happy with me bringing my kid through security without doing the UM packet and ask you to do it....note I would NEVER do that as I have way to much respect for you and your colleagues, as you all typically make my job much easier!

plus you answer questions I wouldn't have ever even thought to ask from some of the great people here too.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by apodo77
As a believer in karma I wouldn't have made that tweet.

Hopefully nothing comes to bite DL in the rear end.

Put me in the camp the nosy lady butted her head into a situation she had no business being a part of. Really empathize with airlines in situations like these.
Karma. It can be a beast sometimes.

Wonder if Delta is still having fun. :-)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I wonder why Delta's Twitter team hasn't made a comment about UA's events last night. This is a far more serious matter than leggings. I hope the poor guy puts UA back in bankruptcy.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I wonder why Delta's Twitter team hasn't made a comment about UA's events last night. This is a far more serious matter than leggings. I hope the poor guy puts UA back in bankruptcy.
Same here, but I'm sure DL social media team will be busy putting out the fires from this past week.

Even if DL had no meltdown, I would expect them to take the high road on this. Perhaps they could be the first major to "enhance" the CoC for actual good.

Wishful thinking, I know...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Yes that would be nice. JetBlue doesn't overbook flights and they seem to be getting along just fine. I'm not a big fan of regulation but you can't just go around assaulting your passengers because of your poor planning. Whoever authorized the oversell needs to be out on the street and the officer who beat up the passenger needs about 50 years behind bars.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes that would be nice. JetBlue doesn't overbook flights and they seem to be getting along just fine. I'm not a big fan of regulation but you can't just go around assaulting your passengers because of your poor planning. Whoever authorized the oversell needs to be out on the street and the officer who beat up the passenger needs about 50 years behind bars.
For not overbooking Jetblue sure has a lot of denied boardings (16x that of Delta and 3x that of UA [1.46 per 10k for B6, 0.09 for DL, and 0.46 for UA).

Source

To be fair I think it was mostly based on scheduling A321s when they often flew with A320s so not "overbooking" but selling more seats than they had.

Another important note is that B6 does not sell fully refundable tickets like DL does. With B6 if you no show without canceling you cannot get a refund but rather get B6 credit. With DL, AA, and UA you have up to 365 days from the day your ticket was issued to get a refund (regardless of when your reservation is). B6 also does not sell refundable fares up until departure and often cuts them off weeks before departure.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:07 pm
Suspended

A very small % of passengers purchase fully refundable tickets. And no Delta does not give your refund in cash if you have to cancel a ticket. I had to cancel my grandmothers and she was issued a credit (minus $200) that was good for one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.