Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skyclub in Austin [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 11:21 am

Video of the progress posted today. I think the atrium view is part of the SkyClub and it doesn't look like it could be anywhere else based on the overhead mock ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2Y...ature=youtu.be
Old May 7, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by highlander_10
Video of the progress posted today. I think the atrium view is part of the SkyClub and it doesn't look like it could be anywhere else based on the overhead mock ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2Y...ature=youtu.be

Wow - that's awesome. Thank you for sharing - can't wait to use the new AUS SkyClub!
hnewman likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Based on that video, DL must be planning a full-blown focus city operation at AUS. That Sky Deck looks bigger than the one at JFK.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WWads
Based on that video, DL must be planning a full-blown focus city operation at AUS. That Sky Deck looks bigger than the one at JFK.
I don't see the correlation
Old May 7, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Do they have current double entrance jetways now? Expecting some heavies?
Old May 7, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Do they have current double entrance jetways now? Expecting some heavies?
Not sure how they load the BA LHR flight, but we have had some 747s at AUS. From the video it looks like they'll have double entries! Not sure they look like they'll be A380 compatible for 2-deckers...
Old May 7, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Lol really?
Old May 8, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
I'm very impressed at how fast this is going up; obviously these are not the same guys who worked on the Mopac expansion :P Have a trip out next week so excited to see the progress in person.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WWads

Lol really?
yes
Old May 8, 2018, 6:56 pm

To clarify - do you not see the correlation between requiring a focus city classification before installing a SkyClub or between the size of a SkyClub SkyDeck and the traffic through a particular airport?
Old May 8, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
To clarify - do you not see the correlation between requiring a focus city classification before installing a SkyClub or between the size of a SkyClub SkyDeck and the traffic through a particular airport?
Between the size of a SkyClub SkyDeck and the traffic through a particular airport.

For clarification the poster I referred to said "Based on that video, DL must be planning a full-blown focus city operation at AUS. That Sky Deck looks bigger than the one at JFK."

1. Club sizes are limited by airport layout restrictions. RDU and IND (larger stations than AUS)both have sky clubs that are only around 5,000 square feet (RDU was 3,800 square feet until a couple years ago), because the terminal layout doesn't allow for those Clubs to be any bigger. DL is building a brand new 7,500 square-foot sky club in PHX, but that doesn't mean PHX will become a larger operation than RDU.
2. DL barely has any gates at AUS, and they won't be gaining that many once the expansion is complete, so even if they wanted to set up a full-blown focus city operation, they wouldn't be able to
3. DL is building a large 2-story sky club in MSY, I guess DL plans to make New Orleans a full-blown focus city as well.
4. Obviously ATL, DTW, MSP, e.t.c will have larger Skyclubs, but when it comes to outstations like AUS I don't think the size of a sky club correlates to whether or not an airport will become a focus city, especially considering what I laid out.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:18 pm

Between the size of a SkyClub SkyDeck and the traffic through a particular airport.

For clarification the poster I referred to said "Based on that video, DL must be planning a full-blown focus city operation at AUS. That Sky Deck looks bigger than the one at JFK."

1. Club sizes are limited by airport layout restrictions. RDU and IND (larger stations than AUS)both have sky clubs that are only around 5,000 square feet (RDU was 3,800 square feet until a couple years ago), because the terminal layout doesn't allow for those Clubs to be any bigger. DL is building a brand new 7,500 square-foot sky club in PHX, but that doesn't mean PHX will become a larger operation than RDU.
2. DL barely has any gates at AUS, and they won't be gaining that many once the expansion is complete, so even if they wanted to set up a full-blown focus city operation, they wouldn't be able to
3. DL is building a large 2-story sky club in MSY, I guess DL plans to make New Orleans a full-blown focus city as well.
4. Obviously ATL, DTW, MSP, e.t.c will have larger Skyclubs, but when it comes to outstations like AUS I don't think the size of a sky club correlates to whether or not an airport will become a focus city, especially considering what I laid out.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an AUS DL flyer, so the addition of a SkyClub will really benefit me. That being said, when I saw the sign last Xmas announcing the SkyClub I was flabbergasted. I never thought we would ever hit the SkyClub radar since we only have DL flights to 10 cities - ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MSP, LAX, SEA, SLC, JFK, RDU and seasonal to MCO and (very seasonal) AMS. Then I got to thinking, that's 10 regular destinations - when I first moved here, DL only served 3 or 4 cities from AUS. The massive influx of population and tech obviously tickled DL into taking advantage of the expansion opportunity. Your point is well taken that SkyClubs can only fill available space, but why would they put an oversized club in a location that didn't warrant it? On what basis are you making your assertion that DL will not get additional gates and, potentially, additional destinations?
Old May 8, 2018, 9:05 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm an AUS DL flyer, so the addition of a SkyClub will really benefit me. That being said, when I saw the sign last Xmas announcing the SkyClub I was flabbergasted. I never thought we would ever hit the SkyClub radar since we only have DL flights to 10 cities - ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, MSP, LAX, SEA, SLC, JFK, RDU and seasonal to MCO and (very seasonal) AMS. Then I got to thinking, that's 10 regular destinations - when I first moved here, DL only served 3 or 4 cities from AUS. The massive influx of population and tech obviously tickled DL into taking advantage of the expansion opportunity. Your point is well taken that SkyClubs can only fill available space, but why would they put an oversized club in a location that didn't warrant it? On what basis are you making your assertion that DL will not get additional gates and, potentially, additional destinations?
The Skyclub is definitely a great benefit, but since you are based in AUS I'm just wandering how come you aren't a UA/AA/WN frequent flyer considering they offer better flight options out of AUS?

Anyway I digress, based on Delta's schedule AUS doesn't have service to MCO or AMS on DL (outside of those 4 one-off r/t in March for SXSW). Furthermore, Sky clubs are extremely common, even some much smaller airports have them, MKE, JAX, PBI, MEM, e.t.c, so AUS getting a sky club isn't that surprising and in fact it probably should have happened a while ago. Furthermore, based on what I have heard, DL will be giving up its current gates in exchange for getting 5 gates in the expansion, which is enough to add some new destinations and flights but likely isn't enough to build a full-fledged focus city.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:15 pm

The Skyclub is definitely a great benefit, but since you are based in AUS I'm just wandering how come you aren't a UA/AA/WN frequent flyer considering they offer better flight options out of AUS?

Anyway I digress, based on Delta's schedule AUS doesn't have service to MCO or AMS on DL (outside of those 4 one-off r/t in March for SXSW). Furthermore, Sky clubs are extremely common, even some much smaller airports have them, MKE, JAX, PBI, MEM, e.t.c, so AUS getting a sky club isn't that surprising and in fact it probably should have happened a while ago. Furthermore, based on what I have heard, DL will be giving up its current gates in exchange for getting 5 gates in the expansion, which is enough to add some new destinations and flights but likely isn't enough to build a full-fledged focus city.
You're not the first to ask - but I can get everywhere I need to go on DL non-stop or 1 hop international, plus these days, AA and UA - how you say... Suck. I know I've done AUS-MCO-AUS... Like I said, it's seasonal, and your point about the super-seasonal SXSW AMS was reflected in my point about it being "very seasonal". I do fly WN when I need to fly non-stop to some locations (BNA, MDW, PHX, LAS) but neither UA nor WN (!) have a club at AUS. As far as I know DL only has gates 3, 4, 5 and 6, so to go to 5 gates would be an increase!
Old May 8, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You're not the first to ask - but I can get everywhere I need to go on DL non-stop or 1 hop international, plus these days, AA and UA - how you say... Suck. I know I've done AUS-MCO-AUS... Like I said, it's seasonal, and your point about the super-seasonal SXSW AMS was reflected in my point about it being "very seasonal". I do fly WN when I need to fly non-stop to some locations (BNA, MDW, PHX, LAS) but neither UA nor WN (!) have a club at AUS. As far as I know DL only has gates 3, 4, 5 and 6, so to go to 5 gates would be an increase!
aren't two of those gates really dual gates? I know at least gate 3 has two gates currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.