Delta Skyclub in Austin [Now Open]

Old May 9, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
You're not the first to ask - but I can get everywhere I need to go on DL non-stop or 1 hop international, plus these days, AA and UA - how you say... Suck. I know I've done AUS-MCO-AUS... Like I said, it's seasonal, and your point about the super-seasonal SXSW AMS was reflected in my point about it being "very seasonal". I do fly WN when I need to fly non-stop to some locations (BNA, MDW, PHX, LAS) but neither UA nor WN (!) have a club at AUS. As far as I know DL only has gates 3, 4, 5 and 6, so to go to 5 gates would be an increase!
I have the t100 data (a record of all the flights flown in the US) in front of me: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/DL_SelectFields.asp
In addition to DL's schedule: Delta Air Lines Map
So, DL doesn't fly AUS-MCO, neither seasonal or year-round. Maybe you are thinking of a different airline. I remember because the fact that they don't fly AUS-MCO is a bit odd considering DL flies BHM/CLE/CMH/GRR/BDL/MCI/SDF/MEM/MKE/BNA/PIT/STL/DCA-MCO sat only, and IND/GRU/MIA-MCO daily

And actually UA does have a club in AUS, I have seen it before but I will link the website so you can see it for yourself: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old May 9, 2018, 6:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
To clarify - do you not see the correlation between requiring a focus city classification before installing a SkyClub or between the size of a SkyClub SkyDeck and the traffic through a particular airport?
There's certainly no "requirement" that an airport be officially labeled a focus city to have a club. That's self-evident just by looking at the list of locations.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

You're not the first to ask - but I can get everywhere I need to go on DL non-stop or 1 hop international, plus these days, AA and UA - how you say... Suck. I know I've done AUS-MCO-AUS... Like I said, it's seasonal, and your point about the super-seasonal SXSW AMS was reflected in my point about it being "very seasonal". I do fly WN when I need to fly non-stop to some locations (BNA, MDW, PHX, LAS) but neither UA nor WN (!) have a club at AUS. As far as I know DL only has gates 3, 4, 5 and 6, so to go to 5 gates would be an increase!
Based on this criteria, MEM must be a focus city.

[x] has a club when neither AA or UA do
[x] I personally can get everywhere I want to go in 1 hop
Old May 9, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
There's certainly no "requirement" that an airport be officially labeled a focus city to have a club. That's self-evident just by looking at the list of locations.
Originally Posted by pvn
Based on this criteria, MEM must be a focus city.

[x] has a club when neither AA or UA do
[x] I personally can get everywhere I want to go in 1 hop
To be clear, I was not the one who claimed AUS was becoming a focus city, that occurred before I joined the thread. I was making a personal case for why I would fly DL out of AUS and why I'm glad that they're getting a SkyClub.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Delta will have 6-8 gates at the end of the terminal, once construction is complete. That's similar to the number they have at RDU, and an increase from what they have now at AUS.

My point is that DL almost certainly isn't building a giant new SC with a Sky Deck unless they have major plans for AUS. That amount of gate space alone should signal that they intend a major increase in operations. Not sure why that is so difficult for some people here to see.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Are all of the new gates exclusively for DL?
Old May 9, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Delta will have 6-8 gates at the end of the terminal, once construction is complete. That's similar to the number they have at RDU, and an increase from what they have now at AUS.

My point is that DL almost certainly isn't building a giant new SC with a Sky Deck unless they have major plans for AUS. That amount of gate space alone should signal that they intend a major increase in operations. Not sure why that is so difficult for some people here to see.
Delta had big plans for Boston in the early 2000's and look how that turned out. Half the gates went to Continental and one of the Crown Rooms became a President's Club. Never count your chickens before they hatch.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Delta had big plans for Boston in the early 2000's and look how that turned out. Half the gates went to Continental and one of the Crown Rooms became a President's Club. Never count your chickens before they hatch.
DL was in the middle of bankruptcy during that time and Ed has recently came out and said that they hope that DL can have access to the whole terminal again in a few years. (presumably when WN finnaly moves out)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Am at AUS right now. Checkin agent informed me that they announced today the SC opens May 19.
DeltaFan4Now likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Am at AUS right now. Checkin agent informed me that they announced today the SC opens May 19.
Any word on any new route announcements coming up?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by AvgeekDL
Any word on any new route announcements coming up?
Nothing definitive or official yet, but the former DL station manager is on the AUS airport leadership team. I hear rumors (not from him, just to be clear and not out anyone) of PDX, SJC, DEN, and BNA. As much as I would love every one of those routes, I hope DL has the endurance to start and maintain outstation service to destinations that are 3x, 4x, even 5x covered with competitors (inc. coterms for SJC).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swuglife
Nothing definitive or official yet, but the former DL station manager is on the AUS airport leadership team. I hear rumors (not from him, just to be clear and not out anyone) of PDX, SJC, DEN, and BNA. As much as I would love every one of those routes, I hope DL has the endurance to start and maintain outstation service to destinations that are 3x, 4x, even 5x covered with competitors (inc. coterms for SJC).
Interesting. Will be curious to see what plays out. I can tell you with the lineup you are quoting, that would likely cause my wife and I to significantly deviate from AA to DL. Those destinations, in addition to the already existing ones, really start to hit our needs with non-stop flights, which is fast becoming our preference. Additionally, though we love the staff at the Austin Admirals club, the physical space is becoming tired, worn and cramped. I suspect the new AUS SC will be much more attractive to my wife and I.

Exciting to see what 2019/2020 has in store for AUS and DL.

Regards
DeltaFan4Now likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
AUS-DTW needs a mid-afternoon (3:30pm-ish) departure, as the current evening departure gets in too late to connect to the last bank of flights to east coast cities. So the fare pressure on the 5pm AUS-ATL is crazy high and the 6:10pm AUS-ATL means you're looking at a 1am arrival into your connecting city.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
AUS-DTW needs a mid-afternoon (3:30pm-ish) departure, as the current evening departure gets in too late to connect to the last bank of flights to east coast cities. So the fare pressure on the 5pm AUS-ATL is crazy high and the 6:10pm AUS-ATL means you're looking at a 1am arrival into your connecting city.
That's probably the point.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thanks for the post. I hadn't heard when it was opening and came to FT to see if someone had the low down. I move to Austin in April so I just switched my Amex Plat benefit to Delta as the lounge swayed me. So stoked for this new club, I'll get some use out of it in 2019!
DeltaFan4Now likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.