Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover at PVG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by moondog
-the longest it's ever taken me to get through border control in either direction is 30 minutes
-while it's true that the Maglev runs 3-4 times per hour (so the maximum wait is 20 minutes), they generally stick to their schedule exactly so it's possible to plan around specific trains
-taxis shouldn't be overlooked either (often no waiting required)
Technically, it is a "Temporary Entry Permit" for "Visa-free Transit" glued in my passport, but it still took over an hour to get. After waiting in a long line, a supervisor had to check something, making a few phone calls and copying my passport and boarding card. He read me the riot act about returning for my flight. On the return, I was in the premium security line after immigration which took an hour. The other lines were going much slower. And the taxi I took into the city (was staying at the JW so it made more sense) took 40 minutes late at night without traffic. I'll stand by it not being worth going into the city for a seven hour layover. A couple hours more, not an issue, but seven for someone who hasn't done it before might be too close for comfort.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by No_Name
So I ended booking a flight to Jeju City and the only option that Delta could book me on that met my travel dates was on China Eastern transiting at PVG. I was a bit surprised that Korean Airlines was not available--the mysteries of the booking algorithms I guess.
I don't think KE flies ICN-CJU. Only GMP-CJU (the world's busiest single airline route, I believe). You could have likely got the KE connection by booking xxx-ICN/GMP-CJU. Or, DL could have given you xxx-NRT(or elsehwere)-GMP-CJU, which I guess it didn't.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are these MU coded flight numbers? If so then R only earns 50% mileage, but 100% MQM. EQD are calculated at 10%.

If however the flights are DL coded, then they earn under the DL earnings.
Delta issued the ticket, but the flight are MU coded flight numbers. As long as the MQMs are at 100%, I'm happy.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by No_Name
Delta issued the ticket, but the flight are MU coded flight numbers. As long as the MQMs are at 100%, I'm happy.
Then what I stated applies except EQD will be actual fare paid since on a DL 006 ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
On a seven hour layover this would be a bad idea. It can take an hour to get the visa and another hour to get back through security. Planning to be at the gate an hour before take-off eats a third hour. The Maglev Train runs every 20 minutes, eating up perhaps 40 minutes waiting. It takes 8 minutes to ride between the city and the airport. While it's doable, it's rushed IMO. Granted, these are long, but realistic, time estimates, but even if everything goes right, how much time does that yield in Shanghai?

OP, if you are interested in going into Shanghai, which I did recently, call the airline and see if they will move you to a connecting flight the next day. I actually called from the SkyClub after checking in for my departure flight and they were able to move me for free. Do not attempt going in on a seven hour layover unless you enjoy a lot of rushing for a relatively small payoff.
While your suggestion is excellent and normally I would try to make the change you suggested. Unfortunately I am stuck between two hard dates that I squeezed this trip into.

I would like to thank everybody for the excellent information and, more importantly, taking the time to post the information. The signal-to-noise ratio in this forum is outstanding.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I thought I would follow up with my experience thus far on my trip--the information on Flyer Talk about China Eastern and the lounge at PVG appears to be a bit inconsistent (unless you pay close attention to the dates).

The main cabin experience on the MU 777-300ER was pleasant--I would put the quality of the product solidly above average (in the 50% to 75% interval). The cabin crew was very friendly and helpful, the food was good (I had the rice noodles), and there was good attention to detail (clean cabin). The boarding process at LAX was smooth and efficient. The seats were not the most comfortable (the seats on the MU A319 that I took as a connection to Jeju was more comfortable), but the legroom was good. During the boarding process you pass through the J cabin and it looked quite good. It does appear that one can buy an upgrade to J once you boarded (10,000 Renmibi) or F (30,000 Renmibi) via the seatback AVOD.

The MU lounge at PVG was excellent (easily on par with or better than the B Sky Club at ATL). Good variety of food, self service wine, showers, massage chairs. The staff was friendly and efficient. The signage to get to the lounge is not super clear, but the directions on FlyerTalk (after passing through transit security go right) helped.

Transit at PVG was easy (and fast because of my early morning arrival). The only negative (as others have mentioned) are the frequent flight delays. My connection departure was delayed and we ended up waiting for 3 hours (we boarded for the original departure)--fortunately the seat was comfortable and I ended sleeping for most of the delay. I definitely recommend having a snack handy.

Hopefully my flight back on Thursday will be equally pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.