Search

Help with booking a mixed itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Question Help with booking a mixed itinerary

Hello All:
This has a very attractive price (Delta + Philippines Air) but I cannot find a way to book it online. When I try to recreate the schedule as connecting flights, I get a much higher price on Orbitz, Vayama, etc. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Wed, May 10

8:20 AM – 10:29 AM
New York City (LGA) – Minneapolis (MSP)
Delta 121 · Economy Class · MD-90

11:20 AM – 1:45 PM+1
Minneapolis (MSP) – Tokyo (HND)
Delta 121 · Economy Class · Boeing 777

3:05 PM+1 – 6:55 PM+1
Tokyo (HND) – Manila (MNL)
Philippine Airlines 421 · Economy Class · Airbus A330

Return flight
Thu, May 18

8:05 AM – 1:25 PM
Manila (MNL) – Tokyo (HND)
Philippine Airlines 422 · Economy Class · Airbus A330

4:20 PM – 1:35 PM
Tokyo (HND) – Minneapolis (MSP)
Delta 120 · Economy Class · Boeing 777

3:16 PM – 7:10 PM
Minneapolis (MSP) – New York City (LGA)
Delta 120 · Economy Class · MD-90

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:50 pm

What price were you finding? Hard to tell give you advice if we don't know what fare you were seeing
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
There is an excellent fare of $571.00 roundtrip. Sadly the PR flights are not
available in the class of service required for that fare. Also, your NYC/MSP flights
do not have enough connect time. You would have to do the next earlier flight to MSP and the next later flight to LGA.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry my bad! I was looking at $563 on Google flights
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Try Priceline:

https://www.priceline.com/m/fly/sear...0&num-youths=0

This is the sort of thing ITA Matrix Powertools was made for
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-lh-lx-tk.html
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
W/o looking into the details of this specific ITN, agree with SEAFlyer here.

Sometimes neither airlines wants to book these fares even though they publish them. And you are forced to use a third party to book them.

ITA Matrix (the underlying engine behind Google Flights) will find the fares same as GoogleFlights, but also will not book them.

The ITA-Matrix PowerTools is a add-on (well, really a script that runs under grease-monkey or such) that will enhance ITAMatrx by searching several popular OTAs (and airlines) to find one that will book the fare. Sometimes it can really work.

BTW, "priceline" in ths context means the OTA they run, not the "name your price" operation. Could have been one of several OTAs that popped up though.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:12 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I have recreated this itinerary in ITA-Matrix with some very slight tweaks to the exact flights. If you run ITA-Matrix powertools the link to book with Delta works properly. This is obviously preferable to booking with an OTA.

Getting to know how to use ITA-Matrix with powertools is an activity well worth your time. If you're trying to recreate the search in Matrix I used the multi-city search legs LGA-MNL and MNL-LGA with advanced routing codes of DL DL PR and PR DL DL respectively.

Does anybody know if I can send OP the booking link that powertools generates? Or will that not work properly?
Attached Images   

Last edited by C W; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:14 am Reason: Added ITA Search Parameters
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much SEA-Flyer and CW. You were both very helpful.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spc354
When I tried to book, through Delta, I completed all the steps, including seat selection and entering payment information, here is the message I got:

Looks like there's high demand for this flight. The originally quoted fare increased to $1,814.26 (USD). To book at this price, select "Continue" to purchase and reselect seats, if needed. To refresh your search, return to the Advanced Search page by selecting "Start Over".(#3005R)
START OVER CONTINUE

I then tried to book through Orbitz, and actually got the same flights and fare classes for $557. Thanks guys. Actually even more grateful that you got me turned on to ItaMatrix Powertools!

Last edited by spc354; Mar 23, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:09 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
No problem, happy to help

When I tried to book, through Delta, I completed all the steps, including seat selection and entering payment information, here is the message I got:

Looks like there's high demand for this flight. The originally quoted fare increased to $1,814.26 (USD). To book at this price, select "Continue" to purchase and reselect seats, if needed. To refresh your search, return to the Advanced Search page by selecting "Start Over".(#3005R)
START OVER CONTINUE

I then tried to book through Orbitz, and actually got the same flights and fare classes for $557. Thanks guys. Actually even more grateful that you got me turned on to ItaMatrix Powertools!
That increased price message is annoying. Often Medallion Desk reps can override it if you call right away and tell them what price and fare buckets you had. Glad you managed to get it booked though!

Have fun with Matrix and Powertools. It can get addictive and open up some previously unimaginable routings, think 4-5 connections each way if you're mileage running!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM

START OVER CONTINUE

Makes sure you get a confirmation number on the PR flights. When I checked, they only had straight "Y" inventory and the inventory needed for that fare was "X" inventory. It is always possible the reservation could "bounce". Just a word of warning. Delta also showed PR in X was available, but when I did a test booking Delta realized it was not really there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.