FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Status match Delta from United?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1830924-status-match-delta-united.html)

bballdad175 Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Status match Delta from United??

I fly mainly SFO to Europe, but some domestic and Asia. Closer to SJC actually but SFO itineraries fit pretty well.

United is not doing a great job of maintaining me as a customer, job doesn't pay for business and getting tired of basically 0% upgrade rate.

is the grass any greener with Delta? I can status match through a program at work. I am United 1K but would match to platinum .

javabytes Mar 21, 2017 1:22 pm

For international flights? No. No complimentary upgrades unless you use a GUC (equivalent of GPU). Or op-ups if the back is oversold.

For domestic flights? Those are disappearing greatly too. Word is Delta wants to fill 80% of the front cabin with paying customers by 2020. Since SFO is a UA hub, and conventional wisdom is that upgrades are much tougher if you're a hub captive, things *may* be slightly better on DL... but don't expect the world. Upgrades are dying out.

mnbp Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bballdad175 (Post 28067487)
I fly mainly SFO to Europe, but some domestic and Asia. Closer to SJC actually but SFO itineraries fit pretty well.

United is not doing a great job of maintaining me as a customer, job doesn't pay for business and getting tired of basically 0% upgrade rate.

is the grass any greener with Delta? I can status match through a program at work. I am United 1K but would match to platinum .

What exactly are you looking for? DL is currently a highly reliable airline, but complimentary upgrades can be few and far between. It depends on what you want.

ATOBTTR Mar 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 28067590)
For international flights? No. No complimentary upgrades unless you use a GUC (equivalent of GPU). Or op-ups if the back is oversold.

For domestic flights? Those are disappearing greatly too. Word is Delta wants to fill 80% of the front cabin with paying customers by 2020. Since SFO is a UA hub, and conventional wisdom is that upgrades are much tougher if you're a hub captive, things *may* be slightly better on DL... but don't expect the world. Upgrades are dying out.

I wouldn't expect it, unless OP is flying SFO-SEA or SFO-LAX. For anything else, word around here is the east-coast hub-SFO routes are regarded as some of the most difficult upgrades in the network on DL. Not sure about the DL routes out of SJC routes.

xliioper Mar 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 28067590)

A lot depends on where OP flies domestically. If it is mainly to other western destinations, he should do relatively well through LAX and SEA hubs. If most flying is to the east through SLC/MSP/ATL/DTW/JFK hubs, then yes, rates will probably be no better than UA.

apodo77 Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Delta will only match you to Platinum I believe.

I did the challenge and have been upgraded once in 30 segments in 2017.

On both the ATL-SFO and SFO-ATL fights I was in the 20's on the upgrade list on a Tuesday and Friday.

Living in PBI and commuting through ATL weekly I don't expect much on the upgrade front.

Zorak Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Similar recent thread: Bad idea trying to get DL status based in SFO?

everyone's situation is different but some of that might be useful too.

CKinMD Mar 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 28067891)
Delta will only match you to Platinum I believe.

I did the challenge and have been upgraded once in 30 segments in 2017.

On both the ATL-SFO and SFO-ATL fights I was in the 20's on the upgrade list on a Tuesday and Friday.

Living in PBI and commuting through ATL weekly I don't expect much on the upgrade front.

I'm PBI based and fly through ATL weekly as well. We are probably on the same flights!

nfg05 Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

DL is overall a better airline than UA

-Better operations (on-time performance, cancelations, mishandled bags, timely baggage delivery)
-Better J product
-Friendlier staff

Everyone's situation is different, but if you can tolerate the increased # of connections given your flying patterns and complimentary domestic upgrades are what you're after I'd venture a guess that you'll likely get more as a DL Plat than UA 1K out of SFO.

StayingHomeIsBetter Mar 21, 2017 6:46 pm

If complementary UGs are your focus point, I'll quote Dilbert:

"Run for it, Jennifer!!! It's too late for me but you can save yourself!!! Run!!!" (3/3/1996)

I can't comment on the UG situation up and down the west coast, but I never count on an UG into/out of SFO or LAX to/from elsewhere in the US.

And my experience flying to SFO tells me to expect the availability of coupon UGs to be limited to the very first and very last flights of the day. The "dented can goods" of the schedule.

JustinTJ Mar 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by CKinMD (Post 28068358)
I'm PBI based and fly through ATL weekly as well. We are probably on the same flights!

Make that 3 of us!

apodo77 Mar 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by JustinTJ (Post 28069559)
Make that 3 of us!

Sounds like we all need to meet up.

WillFlyer Mar 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 28068967)

-Better operations (on-time performance, cancelations, mishandled bags, timely baggage delivery)
-Better J product
-Friendlier staff

I'm an SFO-based former UA 8-year 1K that defected to Delta about 18 months ago. Everything that was said above is true, but I would add that the Delta's Y product is superior to United's. My rationale for switching was that if I'm going to be in Y even with relatively high spend then I should be in the best Y product available.

How is Delta's Y better?
  • If you're in Comfort +, you get free snacks and booze
  • Much more comfortable seating, with the exception of the 737-900.
  • Larger overhead bins on the A320s
  • Fewer RJs

Plus the SFO SkyClub is better than any UA lounge, and far less crowded that the Centurion Lounge.

minnyfly Mar 22, 2017 12:08 am

These days switching or chasing a certain status for complementary upgrades is a very unwise move IMO. Airlines are unashamed at their plans to reduce the availability of them more and more. What you get know is not what you will get in the near future. Since you say you're flying mostly long-haul international from SFO, I really don't see how DL is a compelling switch for you now or in the foreseeable future. The only significant advantage I see is the option to use SJC for a few flights.

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 28068967)

-Better J product
-Friendlier staff

What you list is either subjective or misleading for this person. For example, UA is the better ontime arrival performer at SFO. Plus, since switching to DL would mean more connections, that naturally increases chances of late flights, mishandled bags, etc. Any advantage DL would have in those areas is mathematically gone and/or reversed.

LondonElite Mar 22, 2017 12:25 am

Why would you expect upgrades on international flights???