Search

DL Price changing on payment attempt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG, Marriott, Hertz
DL Price changing on payment attempt

Originally found via Google Flights.

Total shows $314.50, but when I click to pay via Delta, I get a message about flight popularity and the new cost is $465.50

Close it all out, run again via bookwithmatrix and it once again shows up as 314.50..

Not sure why this isn't working:

Itinerary

Los Angeles (LAX) to Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) — Thu, Apr 27
Delta 2173
Dep: 11:05 am
Arr: 4:48 pm
3h 43m
Boeing 737
Economy (V)
Food for PurchaseMovieIn-seat Video Player

Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) to Anchorage (ANC) — Thu, Apr 27
Delta 1088
Dep: 5:40 pm
Arr: 8:47 pm
6h 7m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Food for Purchase

Anchorage (ANC) to Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) — Thu, Apr 27
Overnight flight
Delta 1088
Dep: 9:50 pm
Arr: 6:13 am
5h 23m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Refreshments for Purchase
Fri, Apr 28

Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Fri, Apr 28
Delta 1358
Dep: 9:38 am
Arr: 11:30 am
3h 52m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Food for Purchase
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Google Flights caches prices from the past. When you book, Delta checks for the current price. Try using another OTA to price or another OTA to book.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:49 am

I've seen the same problem with DL V fares on many C1-C1.5 routes. OTAs such as expedia/orbitz show the same price, even go through the check-out, create a reservation in DL system and give you the prn #, but Delta never tickets. If you try the same flights on DL.com the price will increase after a payment attempt, but searching the same route/flights gives you the old price back.

I've seen this happen with the Delta low-cost economy basic fares and many "tricked" itineraries. Dealing with one of those even now.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by steveholt
Google Flights caches prices from the past. When you book, Delta checks for the current price. Try using another OTA to price or another OTA to book.
ITA Matrix suffers like google?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by conflict
ITA Matrix suffers like google?
Of course
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:34 pm

Not at all unusual. ITA Matrix/Google Flights and nearly all OTAs cache flight details and prices.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Not at all unusual. ITA Matrix/Google Flights and nearly all OTAs cache flight details and prices.
Yes. So it could have updated minutes ago and that is the actual current pricing.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Orbitz currently pricing $572.10 for that itin -- K fare out, L fare return. Certainly looks like there is nothing currently in V bucket for those flights.

I currently see X outbound and V return on 4/5 for $334.51. Nothing else cheaper showing up in Google Flights with that routing. Although this could also be stale cached inventory.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Clear browser history or use a different browser on your machine. Also attempt using a different machine go straight to delta.dumb and try to purchase.

Dynamic pricing at DL like other airlines is real
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Clear browser history or use a different browser on your machine. Also attempt using a different machine go straight to delta.dumb and try to purchase.

However it's a know issue with Google Flights that it doesn't actually pull the latest inventory/fare.

Not sure what you mean by dynamic pricing either. The filed fare is the filed fare. The price for fare ABC doesn't change, however the ABC fare may not be available for all.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However it's a know issue with Google Flights that it doesn't actually pull the latest inventory/fare.

Not sure what you mean by dynamic pricing either. The filed fare is the filed fare. The price for fare ABC doesn't change, however the ABC fare may not be available for all.
This. You could even get a quote from the corporate travel agent but during the process of issuing the ticket the price returned to the TA will be different if the ABC fare was made unavailable or non-compliant with the established fare rules.

Lately I've been flying mixed class multi-city itineraries, often with <24hr connection, and it has been challenging for the travel agents to book the prices I get from their flight search engine, so I end up calling Delta and booking at the lowest available price they can get me.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
the fix

Most times when this happens you can get it to stick and ticket at the lower price via PRICELINE. If you hurry that is.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by conflict
Originally found via Google Flights.

Total shows $314.50, but when I click to pay via Delta, I get a message about flight popularity and the new cost is $465.50

Close it all out, run again via bookwithmatrix and it once again shows up as 314.50..

Not sure why this isn't working:

Itinerary

Los Angeles (LAX) to Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) — Thu, Apr 27
Delta 2173
Dep: 11:05 am
Arr: 4:48 pm
3h 43m
Boeing 737
Economy (V)
Food for PurchaseMovieIn-seat Video Player

Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) to Anchorage (ANC) — Thu, Apr 27
Delta 1088
Dep: 5:40 pm
Arr: 8:47 pm
6h 7m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Food for Purchase

Anchorage (ANC) to Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) — Thu, Apr 27
Overnight flight
Delta 1088
Dep: 9:50 pm
Arr: 6:13 am
5h 23m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Refreshments for Purchase
Fri, Apr 28

Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Fri, Apr 28
Delta 1358
Dep: 9:38 am
Arr: 11:30 am
3h 52m
Boeing 757
Economy (V)
Food for Purchase
The problem is that the originating flights are NOT available in "V" from starting point to end point. Lowest inventory available is "K". The lowest fare would have been $314.50, but since "V" is not available on the outbound, the fare is $465.50. Google is pulling the wrong availability. The individual flights are available in "V", but married segment logic will not allow them to be sold that way.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincentharris

It's not going to help. The V inventory does not exist on the outbound flights for OP's desired routing. There is only K bucket. It's got nothing to do with "dynamic pricing". As previous poster noted, it's likely the searches were tripped up by married segment logic and not looking at the inventory availability for the through fare. At any rate, it is now correctly showing only K bucket from multiple OTA's. Go ahead and prove us wrong.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I wonder if such a ticket could be issued on an OTA that uses its own stock rather than DL, such as Hahn Air (https://www.hahnair.com/). In contrast to Orbitz, Expedia etc, Hahnair which uses its own (169-) ticketing system, so perhaps it could be doable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.