CDG / CPT / AMS transfers

Old Mar 19, 17, 3:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Posts: 275
CDG / CPT / AMS transfers

Heading to Cape Town soon. Anything I need to know about transfers between these EU airports? I've been told CDG might be tight even with a 1.5 hour connection?
PirateJeff is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 3:08 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,064
Originally Posted by PirateJeff View Post
Heading to Cape Town soon. Anything I need to know about transfers between these EU airports? I've been told CDG might be tight even with a 1.5 hour connection?
UM, CPT isn't in the EU. Not sure what you mean by transfer between these two.

CDG is an decent place to transfer and depending on where you're coming from 1.5 hours should be very doable.

Edit - I get it it now. Your post is not at all clear what you're talking about, but upon looking at the title I think I understand.

You're flying AMS-CDG-CPT, correct? You'll have to clear exit immigration at CDG since AMS is in the Schengen area. You won't need to reclear security. 1.5 hours should be perfectly doable unless immigration is running slowly. Since this is basically outward immigration airside this is unlikely. The reverse coming back isn't true. Coming back you're entering Schengen and this can get backed up. However outbound you should be fine.

Last edited by flyerCO; Mar 19, 17 at 3:14 pm
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 3:18 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LAX/BUR, RDU
Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by PirateJeff View Post
Heading to Cape Town soon. Anything I need to know about transfers between these EU airports? I've been told CDG might be tight even with a 1.5 hour connection?
Assuming you mean your outbound or inbound requires transiting at CDG:
Transiting 2E International-->International at CDG should be fine with 90 minutes. IME, the entire transit process doesn't take more than 35 minutes.

Switching terminals or doing Schengen <--> International requires more time, but I don't have experience doing so.
FlyerWx is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 7:06 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 16,248
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Edit - I get it it now. Your post is not at all clear what you're talking about, but upon looking at the title I think I understand.

You're flying AMS-CDG-CPT, correct?
Agreed that the question could use some clarification...

I think OP might be in SEA based on this post and might be asking whether it's better to connect in AMS or CDG if given the choice?
Zorak is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 7:12 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,064
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Agreed that the question could use some clarification...

I think OP might be in SEA based on this post and might be asking whether it's better to connect in AMS or CDG if given the choice?
If that's the case, then pick AMS. Hands down the easiest international to international connecting airport.
manacit and jspruit like this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 8:39 pm
  #6  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If that's the case, then pick AMS. Hands down the easiest international to international connecting airport.
Completely agreed, especially for a tight connection.

I do like the AF lounges at CDG for longer layovers though. Spa treatments and Billecart-Salmon
C W is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 10:08 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 24,064
Originally Posted by C W View Post
Completely agreed, especially for a tight connection.

I do like the AF lounges at CDG for longer layovers though. Spa treatments and Billecart-Salmon
Agreed. I love the ease of AMS and the fact I get to add to my Delft house collection by flying KLM. However for onboard service and on ground lounges I much prefer AF. I also like KLM since they fly their JNB flight in the morning. No needing to wait around 10-12 hours getting in late morning a day later. Can instead be in bed by midnight same day and ready to work the next morning.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 5:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE USA
Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Posts: 1,964
I used to avoid CDG like the plague, but they seem to have fixed their problems. I actually prefer it over AMS now. I had a horrible wait at security in AMS the other day - "priority lane" was not so much. When I tried to switch to the regular lane I got shooed back.

I think a lot of it is just time of day. Early morning in CDG is a breeze.

Of course you could encounter strikes at either.
dilbertsdaddy is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 7:16 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,653
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post
I used to avoid CDG like the plague, but they seem to have fixed their problems. I actually prefer it over AMS now. I had a horrible wait at security in AMS the other day - "priority lane" was not so much. When I tried to switch to the regular lane I got shooed back.

I think a lot of it is just time of day. Early morning in CDG is a breeze.

Of course you could encounter strikes at either.
Agreed, but I am using KLM to go ORD-AMS-CPT later this year because of being able to use GUCs all the way with good seats on their 747 and 777-200.
Xeno is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 10:35 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Posts: 275
Sorry for the ambiguity - I'm traveling SEA-CDG-CPT-AMS-SEA and have ~90 min to transfer at both CDG and AMS.
PirateJeff is offline  
Old Mar 23, 17, 11:33 pm
  #11  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by PirateJeff View Post
Sorry for the ambiguity - I'm traveling SEA-CDG-CPT-AMS-SEA and have ~90 min to transfer at both CDG and AMS.
You'll have no problem at either airport and will probably have plenty of time in the Crown Lounge at AMS unless you're obsessed with being the first person on the plane.

CDG you won't have much lounging time but it won't be tight. Make sure to get a glass of the Billecart-Salmon. It beats trendier Champagnes many times its price.

Enjoy the trip!
C W is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Posts: 1,956
Bringing back an older thread for a bit of clarification on immigration/security.
I will be flying DTW-CDG-CPT-AMS-DTW later this month.

Questions:
@ CDG: 90 minutes connection but 8AM arrival should be okay.
1) I don't believe we clear passport control at all, correct? My understanding is we will proceed straight to international transfers for our AF (Joon) flight to CPT.
2) Do we have to clear security before boarding CPT flight?
3)Given our short connection, any suggestion on a quick AF lounge visit? it would be my first time at CDG AF lounges.
4) Any chance we could shop at duty free in CDG? I assume no since we will not enter Shengen area.

@ AMS: 4 hours layover so lots of KLM Lounge time. yay!
1) Same question, will we clear passport control at AMS? What about security before boarding DTW flight?

Thanks for replies & Happy flying!
mridley2 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE USA
Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Posts: 1,964
If I remember correctly, no passport control either direction, but security both directions (possibly not in AMS). I get mixed up between schengen/non schengen and different destinations so I just go with the flow.

With 90 minutes in CDG you may or may not have time for lounges, but you'll really only have one choice. One of them is kinda run down at the moment. They all have pretty good food. No idea about DF but there is plenty of shopping. Never paid any attention to any of it, shower, food, e-mail are always my priority.

Lounge in AMS sucks. The other day it was a 45 minute wait to get in and a total rat race once in. Under renovation. Lots of DWKIA's trying to skirt the line to no avail - kinda funny to watch. Shower? Fuggetaboutit (go to the hotel directly across from the lounge @$30).

DL metal flights departing AMS have a PITA security process which sends you to D1 or (E1?) for passport check, eliminating the need for the old gate security check. They usually have someone outside the lounge to do it so you don't have to go to the check. Look for a little rolling cart. Occasionally there is no one there.

I prefer CDG over AMS these days but don't like short connections in either.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Jan 10, 19 at 1:26 pm
dilbertsdaddy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 2:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post
DL metal flights departing AMS have a PITA security process which sends you to D1 or (E1?) for passport check, eliminating the need for the old gate security check.
Actually, an update you may enjoy hearing- as of Jan 1st, the D1/E1 document check step is gone; everyone departing on a Delta flight from AMS is now directed to their actual departure gate.

Last edited by WidgetsOfTheSkies; Jan 10, 19 at 2:29 pm Reason: Grammar
WidgetsOfTheSkies is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:33 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
Bringing back an older thread for a bit of clarification on immigration/security.
I will be flying DTW-CDG-CPT-AMS-DTW later this month.

Questions:
@ CDG: 90 minutes connection but 8AM arrival should be okay.
1) I don't believe we clear passport control at all, correct? My understanding is we will proceed straight to international transfers for our AF (Joon) flight to CPT.
2) Do we have to clear security before boarding CPT flight?
3)Given our short connection, any suggestion on a quick AF lounge visit? it would be my first time at CDG AF lounges.
4) Any chance we could shop at duty free in CDG? I assume no since we will not enter Shengen area.

@ AMS: 4 hours layover so lots of KLM Lounge time. yay!
1) Same question, will we clear passport control at AMS? What about security before boarding DTW flight?

Thanks for replies & Happy flying!
I hope you realize that CDG-CPT is operated by Joon and is decidedly subpar compared to the usual AF experience. I'd pick AMS everyday of the week if it meant the difference between KLM and Joon, and that being said I'm not a huge KLM fan
kiwicanuck is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread