CDG / CPT / AMS transfers

Old Jan 10, 19, 10:44 pm

There will be security but not passport control at AMS. When I flew CPT-AMS we exited on the "untrusted origin country" level, where you have have to go through security to connect or to go anywhere airside.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post
If I remember correctly, no passport control either direction, but security both directions (possibly not in AMS). I get mixed up between schengen/non schengen and different destinations so I just go with the flow.

With 90 minutes in CDG you may or may not have time for lounges, but you'll really only have one choice. One of them is kinda run down at the moment. They all have pretty good food. No idea about DF but there is plenty of shopping. Never paid any attention to any of it, shower, food, e-mail are always my priority.

Lounge in AMS sucks. The other day it was a 45 minute wait to get in and a total rat race once in. Under renovation. Lots of DWKIA's trying to skirt the line to no avail - kinda funny to watch. Shower? Fuggetaboutit (go to the hotel directly across from the lounge @$30).

DL metal flights departing AMS have a PITA security process which sends you to D1 or (E1?) for passport check, eliminating the need for the old gate security check. They usually have someone outside the lounge to do it so you don't have to go to the check. Look for a little rolling cart. Occasionally there is no one there.

I prefer CDG over AMS these days but don't like short connections in either.
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by WidgetsOfTheSkies View Post

Actually, an update you may enjoy hearing- as of Jan 1st, the D1/E1 document check step is gone; everyone departing on a Delta flight from AMS is now directed to their actual departure gate.
Great! I just went through in late Dec and it was still there. That is very good news.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck View Post
I hope you realize that CDG-CPT is operated by Joon and is decidedly subpar compared to the usual AF experience. I'd pick AMS everyday of the week if it meant the difference between KLM and Joon, and that being said I'm not a huge KLM fan
Yes I was aware CDG-CPT was operated by Joon. That's why I put "(Joon)" in my OP. I've flown Korean Air so i'm use to subpar experiences. *wink*

No choice on my flights. super cheap ($600) flight to CPT without much choice of flights. We'll see how it goes on Joon.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM

Actually, an update you may enjoy hearing- as of Jan 1st, the D1/E1 document check step is gone; everyone departing on a Delta flight from AMS is now directed to their actual departure gate.
That's amazing news. I always skipped that checkpoint anyways and went straight to the gate but some of the "security" agents there had massive attitude about doing that.
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat

thats awesome! but is the questioning done at the gate now instead? assuming you don't have a sticker already
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by runningformqm View Post
thats awesome! but is the questioning done at the gate now instead? assuming you don't have a sticker already
It's gone, those people questioning you lost their jobs.
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by runningformqm View Post
That’s right; the questioning process has changed slightly and is now done at the gate.

Search this Thread