Using CPAP Onboard

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The HDM Z1 uses a disposable coupler with a sponge in it. The coupler goes between the mask hose and the CPAP hose. Supposedly, it picks up moisture from exhaling and returns the moisture when inhaling. It's better than nothing, but less good than a full-size home model with a water tank.

Overall, the HDM Z1 works, but is noticeable louder than a home CPAP. You have to expect some compromises for something a little less than half the size.

For specific models that Delta allows to be used in-flight, check out this list on this web page under the link for "assistive devices."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...abilities.html
Sharing my experiences as a Z1 and nasal gel user:

Nasal Gel:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ay...od4998-product
This is what I found, it works on a flight where you are not sleeping for 8hrs. I use something similar to the US Walgreen product.
But again nothing works like the Resmed 10 with the humidifier and the heated hose.

Z1:
This is my short term travel machine. the reason why I call it short term is that I prefer my Resmed 10. If I can carry the Resmed 10 for a trip where I am at one or two destination I would.

Benefit of Z1: small unit. even smaller if I know I won't need the battery pack. the self contained battery pack is great as I do work with a NGO and sometimes I have to overnight without AC power. The Z! OEM pack would give me two nights of sleep and it is 12V solar panal rechargable.

Drawback to the Z1 as a perfect unit: no real humidification. The inline "sponge" is a stopgap idea which doesn't work that well. The sponge was meant as a single use. I tried to re-use it and after a few days there is a moldy aroma. I just ditch the whole idea and stay with my gel.

Fortunately for me is now my biz travel are all on the west side of the Pacific rim so humidification is not as big an issue as it was when I travel in Canada and US in winter.

Battery packs:
CPAP suppliers carry battery pack for CPAP use which are heavy duty and more robust than the Mixmart. They are about 3/4 to one inch thick and the size of a 8 inch Samsung tablet.

Resmed has packs for their units. I have not tried the latest model which will power my S10 and humidifier and heated hose. Will share when I get my hands on a test unit.

Disclaimer:

I am good friends with my CPAP supplier. I get to play with the latest machines, mask and accessories. Insurance pay for the one that I like and keep within my payment schedule. I give him feedback which he post without my name.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great tips Tentseller, thank you!

Please update us on any new travel models. The Z1 noise doesn't rate as a drawback ? Is it because it's not that loud or you don't mind?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
From what I remember researching, DL (and BA who I also researched) won't guarantee the power is available so if you call ahead they require you to have a battery that lasts the flight. I wasn't investing in one of those and was willing to not use the device if power wasn't working or I was not allowed, so I just showed up and plugged it in on an A330 in DeltaOne after dinner. If it had not worked, I would have just kept the J cabin awake all night with my gasping and snoring.

On JAL, the chief steward (cabin manager? I don't know their terms) came over with a tablet to check my machine against a list of approved devices. Which mine is (I made sure when I bought it!), and then I got a good night's sleep.

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
I also have no idea how people can use their CPAPs without a humidifier - what gel are you talking about? I cannot leave my mask on for 10 minutes if its dry, my nose will start "burning" from the dryness. When I have set my humidity too low, i've managed to wake up with a dry nose and have cold symptoms for a few hours as things re-hydrate.
To me, the option is "an uncomfortable dry nap" or no nap at all, so I suck it up on the plane. I would think, as long as the humidifier is off, you could have it present and filled with water, so you get some passive humidity.

A tip, that might help some, is to have a spare humidifier chamber for travel. My logic here is that I don't worry as much about using normal bottled water in the hotels (which has minerals but no chlorine), and I can just descale it when I get home.

Last edited by Gig103; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: Tip about humidifier.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
In November, we flew DeltaOne MSP-LHR and CDG-SEA. I used my ResMed AirSense10 with no hassle or problem. I didn't contact Delta ahead of time and just set it up as normal and plugged it in to the seat outlet with no issues. I always use the humidifier, but I was fine going "dry" in this instance (though others may have more of a sensitivity to dry air).

I think the concern with using the humidifier on board, more than the electricity it will draw, is the chance water will splash around during turbulence and damage the machine. So even turning the humidifier off and having it filled would seem like a bad idea to me.

I did purchase a battery to take just in case they didn't let me plug it in, but I never had a need for it. I figure I can use it for camping or power outages or whatever (I got the Pilot-24 CPAP Backup Battery Power Supply on sale through Apria).
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan

Please update us on any new travel models. The Z1 noise doesn't rate as a drawback ? Is it because it's not that loud or you don't mind?
On a plane, with the noise canceling earbuds in, I don't hear it.
But short overnight trips I hear it. But it is a constant wind noise so I am ok with it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RESMED joins the Mirco CPAP game.

Got word from my friend that he got the ResMed Air Mini demo unit in. Smallest in the market with a new waterless humidification system.

I will try in April and report back.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kchoya
We'll be flying SLC-LHR this fall (Delta One on a 767). I was hoping to use my CPAP device onboard to be able to get some semi-restful sleep. Has anyone had any experience using such a device during a flight?
Person in seat across the isle from me in business class slc-lhr a few weeks ago had a small cpap he used. Didn't see any of the FA's give him a hard time about it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

Check out the new(ish) Dreamstation Go. I travel almost weekly and used the Transcend for years but always found it to be too loud (except on airplanes - you'll never notice the noise over the cabin noise); I've been using the Dreamstation Go since this past June - including on airplanes with the available battery - and find it to be a much better CPAP (quieter than the Transcend, Z1 or Air mini, though still not as quiet as my home machine). It also packs into my roll aboard easier due to its flat shape and 12mm diameter micro flex hose. No humidification, though you could probably use the in-line HME from the Z1 (I used to do that with my Transcend).

There are detailed reviews of all these machines at the Cpaptalk and Apneaboard sites.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
i doubt noise level will be over ambient.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO these mini travel machines are only good for travel on airplanes as well as one or two night's sleep.

Simply physics of air movement work against a smaller unit blower and smaller diametre hose.

Any more than one or two nights of light travel the Resmed 10 comes along, quite, better air quality.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
IMHO these mini travel machines are only good for travel on airplanes as well as one or two night's sleep.

Simply physics of air movement work against a smaller unit blower and smaller diametre hose.

Any more than one or two nights of light travel the Resmed 10 comes along, quite, better air quality.
With the Transcend or most other travel machines I'd agree with you - less comfortable and whiney motors -- though I have out of necessity taken the Transcend on business trips of up to several weeks. But for vacations my preference was to take my home machine instead.

With the Dreamstation Go though, I don't foresee myself ever taking my home machine traveling; I just returned from a ten night overseas vacation and it worked like a champ, the pressure / air quality is fine, it's very comfortable to sleep with if very slightly noisy (to me, but not to my wife - the noise is really just that my breathing sounds a bit amplified, it's not noticeable except to the person wearing the mask). I'm lucky though in that I can get by without humidification if needed with no ill effects.

I've also tried different diameter hoses with it - made no noticeable difference and I find the smaller hose to be less intrusive.

To each their own though! I travel almost weekly and just happen to strongly prefer traveling light, and will put up with a little inconvenience to do so. For me the Dreamstation Go is a travel game changer, but I've seen others who are not quite as happy with it as I am.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levman

With the Transcend or most other travel machines I'd agree with you - less comfortable and whiney motors -- though I have out of necessity taken the Transcend on business trips of up to several weeks. But for vacations my preference was to take my home machine instead.

With the Dreamstation Go though, I don't foresee myself ever taking my home machine traveling; I just returned from a ten night overseas vacation and it worked like a champ, the pressure / air quality is fine, it's very comfortable to sleep with if very slightly noisy (to me, but not to my wife - the noise is really just that my breathing sounds a bit amplified, it's not noticeable except to the person wearing the mask). I'm lucky though in that I can get by without humidification if needed with no ill effects.

I've also tried different diameter hoses with it - made no noticeable difference and I find the smaller hose to be less intrusive.

To each their own though! I travel almost weekly and just happen to strongly prefer traveling light, and will put up with a little inconvenience to do so. For me the Dreamstation Go is a travel game changer, but I've seen others who are not quite as happy with it as I am.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

My top most need in a portable machine is the humidification. I live with the humidification adapter from Z1 as that is the best portable OEM solution during my replacement cycle. I use nasal gel in my nose when I am sleeping with anything other than my Resmed 10. Humidification is not a medical issue for me as it is more of a comfort issue as I suffer from allergies as well as mild asthma.

The Dreamstation GO and the AirMini have been released since then from the two major players.

I would test the Dreamstation when the real water chamber humidification is available for testing. I was told that it will be Q3 this year.
Real evaporation humidifier and the small tubing will be the big game changer if it works for me.
I only use battery power on airplanes.

Let me know if you get to test the Dreamstation with the humidifier and your usage report.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
The Dreamstation GO and the AirMini have been released since then from the two major players.

I would test the Dreamstation when the real water chamber humidification is available for testing. I was told that it will be Q3 this year.
Real evaporation humidifier and the small tubing will be the big game changer if it works for me.
I only use battery power on airplanes.

Let me know if you get to test the Dreamstation with the humidifier and your usage report.
I'm anxious to see what their humidification system looks like - I'd use it myself if it's small enough.

I almost got the AirMini but others reported it having the same whiny sound and Darth Vader issues as the Transcend and Z1. The Dreamstation Go is larger than the others, but still small enough to pack easily - I think the larger size let's them put a larger blower motor inside vs the tiny, whiny ones.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by levman

Check out the new(ish) Dreamstation Go. I travel almost weekly and used the Transcend for years but always found it to be too loud (except on airplanes - you'll never notice the noise over the cabin noise); I've been using the Dreamstation Go since this past June - including on airplanes with the available battery - and find it to be a much better CPAP (quieter than the Transcend, Z1 or Air mini, though still not as quiet as my home machine). It also packs into my roll aboard easier due to its flat shape and 12mm diameter micro flex hose. No humidification, though you could probably use the in-line HME from the Z1 (I used to do that with my Transcend).

There are detailed reviews of all these machines at the Cpaptalk and Apneaboard sites.
I was told the Dreamstation Go is not available in Canada yet (or at least the place I get my CPAP stuff from). However, I have the Dreamstation Pro and without the humidifier, it is small enough and with the Resmed AirFit F20 mask, it takes up hardly any space in my backpack.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.