Wiki Posts
Search

extra itinerary "open jaw"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
extra itinerary "open jaw"

I am confused, partly my fault and partly a fellow flier. So I have a coach seat booked R/T to NYC, 4 day trip. Now I need to make an overnight or day trip to DFW while I'm NYC.

Is this allowed? I don't quite understand the jaw stuff. Just want to make sure I get my mileage credit, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:02 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You intended to fly home-NYC-home but within that do a NYC-DFW-NYC trip?

Shouldn't be an issue. Nested ticketing is only really an issue if you are doing so to circumvent minimum stay requirements.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
There is never an issue with this. Delta will be glad to accept the money and fly you an extra round trip.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
And perhaps to clarify, an open jaw would be something like LAX-BOS, then JFK-LAX.
What you are doing is not an open jaw. It is a nested ticket, which means one round trip nested within another one.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

so it sounds like I would have a nested ticket. Is that legal? My first outbound is on Thursday and I return on Monday. Looking to got to DFW most likely on Saturday.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Well now that you've posted it here the NSA knows about it and will alert the proper authorities. Be ready for jail SUCKER.

In all seriousness, this is not only "legal" but also rather common. The only danger is if there is a problem getting you back from DFW-NYCbefore your return flight to 'home'.

If your intent is to fly DFW-Home and ditch the JFK-Home flight you will be fine as long as you don't make it a habit.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
perfectly legal in this case
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I will wear a disguise. Maybe someone will mention me on the celebrity sighting page!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.