FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Avoiding the mess at ATL E international arrivals security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1829526-avoiding-mess-atl-e-international-arrivals-security.html)

kthomas Mar 14, 17 6:46 pm

Avoiding the mess at ATL E international arrivals security?

Howdy,

Just landed < 5pm, took me more than 2 hours to get to the F lounge given the mess at E security.

Rather young agent there told me that Sky Priority was "closed." Haven't had that happen in a while.

For those not intent on having an argument with a TSA agent half our age while jetlagged, is there always an option to exit and enter upstairs where one has both PreCheck and Sky Priority? I've done this in the past after asking at bag check, but was well down the kettle before I realized how bad it was tonight.

As well, is there or is there not supposed to be a priority lane at E? For the previous couple years, it seems it's always "closed" in the sense that the rope is closed, but if you ask the agent opens it and lets you through.

Thanks.

P.S. OK, who moved the input on the fax machine to the wrong port?

NotHamSarnie Mar 14, 17 8:16 pm

There was no priority line last time I arrived at E either - the person sitting there let me through the rope but then shunted me to the regular line. Next time I'm going through the "Atlanta bound" line and going landside.

apodo77 Mar 14, 17 8:42 pm

Flew LHR-ATL in February and experienced the same mess in F. Is F separate or does E and F all funnel to the same security point.

said precheck and priority lanes close at 5:30 when I asked an agent.

No clue if they have either but the one hour trek through security was a beat down.

KDCAflyer Mar 14, 17 9:06 pm

TSA post-customs is pretty much always terrible. I usually try to just go landside and clear through the main checkpoint wherever I'm arriving at. It might take a bit longer, but after years of pre-check I find taking off shoes and such to be downright aggravating. Often these checkpoints don't have the PreCheck cards.

mot29 Mar 15, 17 7:25 am

So, what are the options for connections if you arrive at E or F?
I've got a trip coming up that arrives at ATL at about 8 pm from LHR, connecting to DCA at about 10 pm.
If you just exit through F, there is no pre-chek international after 5:30 pm. And main pre-chek closes at 9 pm? If you exit going to main terminal, then you still have a security check, right because the trains stop on the way to the main terminal?

davetravels Mar 15, 17 9:20 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 28039659)
If you exit going to main terminal, then you still have a security check, right because the trains stop on the way to the main terminal?

Righto! :)

I guess you could alwayz take the shuttle from Term F ALLLLLLLLLLL the way around to the main entrance to the airport and get PreChek! :p (If you think it's worth it!)

exwannabe Mar 15, 17 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 28039659)
So, what are the options for connections if you arrive at E or F?
I've got a trip coming up that arrives at ATL at about 8 pm from LHR, connecting to DCA at about 10 pm.
If you just exit through F, there is no pre-chek international after 5:30 pm. And main pre-chek closes at 9 pm? If you exit going to main terminal, then you still have a security check, right because the trains stop on the way to the main terminal?

Your picture is way off.

First, if you have checked luggage, you MUST clear at the concourse you land in as that is where your bags will be. If that is E then you MUST clear TSA at E as there is no other option.

Second, there are no train options in play. The airside train is only airside. The outside train does not connect to the International terminal.

Third, as dave said jokingly, you most certainly do not want to circle groundside. That will almost always be longer than any TSA line.

Fourth, the TSA lines at F are not bad at all. Yes, shoes off, but still reasonably quick.

You are making way too much of an issue out of this one.

sbr7d Mar 15, 17 11:25 am

Piggy backing of the OPs original post...

I will be returning from LHR to ATL connecting to another smaller regional airport. The connection is 100 minutes. I have Global entry and I am TSA pre... Think I will be able to make my connection? Delta recently bumped my last flight to the regional airport up so in theory I could possibly get a change for my last flight.

Thanks

dilbertsdaddy Mar 15, 17 11:33 am

F is a nightmare. E can be good or bad depending on the time. Both are subject to the mood of the TSA on duty.

Priority line? Good luck with that.

Never tried the landside trick but I have thought about it.

100 minutes with GE is no problem if you do not have bags. If you have bags it depends on how long DL takes to get them up....not consistent.

mersk862 Mar 15, 17 2:50 pm

Last month was doing MEX-ATL-EWR, landing at 5 pm time, no checked bags. Landed at E35 and knowing how E can be a mess, I trekked over to F on foot, cleared GE there, went upstairs through Pre-Check and then went to my departure gate (which just so happened to be B34). Time from getting off my inbound flight to sitting on my connecting flight was under 30 minutes, even with pretty much the most walking one would have to do.

CaptainCajun Sep 17, 17 3:01 pm

Arrived for FRA at E Saturday 16 at around 3:30, took over an hour to get through the security line. As mentioned by the OP, the SkyPriority lane was roped off. According to one of the line monitors, that was a TSA directive. Next time, I'll try the walk to F. Thank goodness I had carry-on, by the time the luggage had been delivered the waiting line looped twice around the bag drop area.
Also, TSA was requiring IPads AND cellphones to be removed and screened separately.

davetravels Sep 17, 17 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainCajun (Post 28826501)
the SkyPriority lane was roped off.

Every time I can remember, it's ALWAYS roped off, but, there's someone there checking boarding passes and allowing people who are eligible through.

Schuhfly Sep 17, 17 3:30 pm

I hate security after arriving from an international flight. We all have GE (even my 16 month old son) and have priority written on our boarding pass, but always get sent to the line for people who need extra time because of the stroller. This line is always full of people! It takes maybe 15 seconds to fold it up and pop off two wheels to fit through the scanner.

I just wait in line and want to gouge my eyeballs out. Waiting 50 minutes in line when you can see people going through the priority line in under 10 minutes drives me nuts. Where can I submit a complaint? They probably won't do anything...but it might make me feel a little better.

CaptainCajun Sep 17, 17 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28826509)
Every time I can remember, it's ALWAYS roped off, but, there's someone there checking boarding passes and allowing people who are eligible through.

That's what I was expecting. As there was no-one there I asked the line monitor closest to the Priority line if I could enter and was strongly told "no, TSA has it closed off". In the hour I was in the conga line, no-one got to use the Priority line.

sethb Sep 17, 17 5:59 pm

Does it have CLEAR?