Wiki Posts
Search

Six Hours in DTW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Six Hours in DTW

I've got some airport productivity time coming up soon. Flying BOS-DTW-ICN with a six hour layover in DTW. Any suggestions other than wasting time in the Sky Club?

I can easily spend a couple of hours eating in restaurants, but I'm looking for a spa or some type of massage option. I know there is a Be Relax in the airport. Is there a real spa in the Westin?

I'm not sure I want to leave the airport facility unless it's something incredibly close.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikehillwig
Is there a real spa in the Westin?
What did the hotel's website indicate when you checked?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
What did the hotel's website indicate when you checked?
They indicated in-room spa treatments but not an actual spas. That's what surprised me. Westins are known for their Heavenly Spas.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If you like aviation, there's the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run (a short 15-20 min cab ride from DTW).

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/

Or the Henry Ford Museum, also about a 20 min cab ride away:
https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I once saw a twenty-something couple with long hair dressed in tie-dyed clothes lay down in the middle of the tunnel between A and B/C to enjoy the changing colors. It looked like they were having a good time and could have stayed there for six hours, so maybe you'd want to do that. Of course, I think they prepared ahead of time by getting themselves in the necessary frame of mind, but if you're game, they seemed to be enjoying it, man.

Or the Henry Ford Museum as the other poster mentioned. If you have Pre-Check, DTW is usually very quick to get back in.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
I've got .... a six hour layover in DTW. I'm looking for.... some type of massage option.

I'm not sure I want to leave the airport facility unless it's something incredibly close.
Well you could always cab it to the Flight Club in Inkster
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Well you could always cab it to the Flight Club in Inkster
Haha, I've been to the Flight club
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, don't forget the "Landing Strip" -- a Romulus institution.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Another vote for the Henry ford here. Or even the DIA.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The Westin at the airport has a pool and jacuzzi along with exercise equipment; I had a long layover at DTW a few years ago and I think they sold access to that for $15 then. I had an enjoyable time, and it was easy to get back through security (there is a dedicated security entrance from the hotel to airside).
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
You could spend 3 - 4 hours in the Sky Club trying to find snacks and a seat.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PirateJeff
There are 4 of them. If the one you are in is crowded, go to another one. The B/C lounge generally doesn't get too crowded and has better views.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by PirateJeff
The peripheral Sky Clubs at DTW are great -- the standard food set but lots of nooks and crannies so it's quiet and easy to get away from people. The man one is much too open-air and gets kind of loud, so I wouldn't go there unless you need the shower or something.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I once saw a twenty-something couple with long hair dressed in tie-dyed clothes lay down in the middle of the tunnel between A and B/C to enjoy the changing colors. It looked like they were having a good time and could have stayed there for six hours, so maybe you'd want to do that. Of course, I think they prepared ahead of time by getting themselves in the necessary frame of mind, but if you're game, they seemed to be enjoying it, man.

Or the Henry Ford Museum as the other poster mentioned. If you have Pre-Check, DTW is usually very quick to get back in.
OP- I wouldn't risk bringing mushrooms through TSA
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
The peripheral Sky Clubs at DTW are great -- the standard food set but lots of nooks and crannies so it's quiet and easy to get away from people. The man one is much too open-air and gets kind of loud, so I wouldn't go there unless you need the shower or something.
Exactly. The layouts are horrible. I feel like I'm on a Zelda quest trying to find everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.