Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight schedule change . What is my option ?

Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

My flights were scheduled 6:30am SFO to JFK 3:30PM .
Then JFK to PRG 8:30PM to 10:40AM in June . Now The second leg changed JFK to PRG 9:29pm to 11:55am . I already accepted flight change knowledgement .

Can I change or cancel the flight without fee ?

If the flight that I will change costing more miles , Do I pay the differences ?

Thank you for your time !
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:18 pm

Yes, you arrive more than an hour later so this will allow you a free change to flights that better fit your schedule. You will need to call though and if the first agent is not helpful, hang up and call again. Be prepared with the flights #s of flights you want to change to and it should be pretty painless.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:12 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
In general -
You can change flights with no added cost if a schedule change results in:
  • 60 earlier departure
  • 60 minute later arrival
  • Connection drops below MTC

You can cancel for full refund if a schedule change results in:
  • 90 earlier departure
  • 90 minute later arrival

As mentioned, it is best to call Delta with your desired flights in mind to make the call go as quickly as possible. In addition, since you mentioned this was a mileage ticket note that Delta can open mileage space on their own flights only, i.e. you won't be able to change to a SFO-CDG-PRG flight on AF if low space isn't released by AF on those flights.

NB: I say in general because YMMV. You may be able to cancel for a sub 90 minute schedule change - a lot depends on the rep you get on the phone.

Text from Delta's schedule change notification:
If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
•Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
•Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
•Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by bayareas
My flights were scheduled 6:30am SFO to JFK 3:30PM .
Then JFK to PRG 8:30PM to 10:40AM in June . Now The second leg changed JFK to PRG 9:29pm to 11:55am . I already accepted flight change knowledgement .

Can I change or cancel the flight without fee ?

If the flight that I will change costing more miles , Do I pay the differences ?

Thank you for your time !
The two posts above give you good advice about making the changes, but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

I don't know what day you are flying, but looking at June 8th at random, you're on the only direct flight, so most of the flights that leave earlier than 9:29 arrive later. The ones that arrive earlier seems to have short connections and, as pointed out for award tickets, are not on Delta.

If you do find something, Delta tends to be accommodating to the degree that they can.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold
Need some advice here as I've spent the past 3 hours getting the run around from Flying Blue and Delta, both phone and twitter support. Itinerary is to go SFO-SEA-AMS-FCO in J in December. Flights booked with FlyingBlue miles at saver level. SFO-SEA-AMS is on DL, AMS-FCO on AZ.

Due to schedule changes the SEA layover is down to 30 minutes. If SFO or SEA has any rain I figure I'll miss the onward flight and same day rebooking in J will be almost impossible. The first Delta agent I talked to indicated it would be possible to get on the previous flight so I have a much longer layover, but was disconnected while being transferred to what I was told was the "change" desk. However, when I called back I was transferred to Flying Blue, who basically take the position there are no flights with award availability left. Now when I call Delta they transfer me to Flying Blue even when I have told them specifically not to, claiming they have no ability to modify my reservation. Whose problem is this to solve and what if anything do I need to say/do to get onto a safer itinerary?

If nothing can be done, any thoughts on what a 30 minute transfer in SEA will be like. Will they hold the plane?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by gobears787
Need some advice here as I've spent the past 3 hours getting the run around from Flying Blue and Delta, both phone and twitter support. Itinerary is to go SFO-SEA-AMS-FCO in J in December. Flights booked with FlyingBlue miles at saver level. SFO-SEA-AMS is on DL, AMS-FCO on AZ.

Due to schedule changes the SEA layover is down to 30 minutes. If SFO or SEA has any rain I figure I'll miss the onward flight and same day rebooking in J will be almost impossible. The first Delta agent I talked to indicated it would be possible to get on the previous flight so I have a much longer layover, but was disconnected while being transferred to what I was told was the "change" desk. However, when I called back I was transferred to Flying Blue, who basically take the position there are no flights with award availability left. Now when I call Delta they transfer me to Flying Blue even when I have told them specifically not to, claiming they have no ability to modify my reservation. Whose problem is this to solve and what if anything do I need to say/do to get onto a safer itinerary?

If nothing can be done, any thoughts on what a 30 minute transfer in SEA will be like. Will they hold the plane?
DL isn't going to be able to change a Flying Blue award ticket. Unfortunately you're going to be be stuck dealing with them.

They probably have the same issue DL does with partners, that if it's not available, they can't overbook it

I don't know if it would work, but if FB works like DL, then I'd ask you can switch to the SFO/AMS KL flight and then on to KL for the flight to FCO. It should also work for AF's flights through CDG.

Then you can cut out a stop, unless you have a strong preference for DL metal over the water, it's probably the best way for you to go.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
DL isn't going to be able to change a Flying Blue award ticket. Unfortunately you're going to be be stuck dealing with them.

They probably have the same issue DL does with partners, that if it's not available, they can't overbook it

I don't know if it would work, but if FB works like DL, then I'd ask you can switch to the SFO/AMS KL flight and then on to KL for the flight to FCO. It should also work for AF's flights through CDG.

Then you can cut out a stop, unless you have a strong preference for DL metal over the water, it's probably the best way for you to go.
Thanks for the suggestions. Flying Blue's position unfortunately has been, there isn't award availability on the direct AMS or CDG flights from SFO and so we can do nothing to help you. First they transferred me to Air France who said it was Flying Blues problem and then they transferred me to Delta who said it was Flying Blue's problem. Anyone know who within Flying Blue can open up award availability?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Will they hold the plane?
This: No.
kop84 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the reply KOP84. Cutting out the stop was more most preferred outcome, but over 5 HUCA tries Flying Blue is taking the position that if there is no award availability on the flight nothing can be done, even on AF/KLM flights.

Flying Blue refuses to let me talk to a supervisor and seemingly nobody has any authority to make decisions beyond "no award flights are available on Dec 21-22." Any suggestions on what I have to say to get to the appropriate level of decision making on opening up award space? Both direct flights to CDG/AMS have revenue tickets in J for sale.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
This: No.
I figure people DL would hold a plane for, are people who don't fly commercial
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

I figure people DL would hold a plane for, are people who don't fly commercial
I realize my question sounds ridiculous but it's about as ridiculous as DL offering tickets with a 30 minute layover before an international flight with an expected terminal change. Even if there were no problems with the flight, I fail to see how your average Y passenger could make this connection unless DL assumes the TATL segment will be held for those passengers to arrive assuming an on time arrival. If it rains, of course all bets would be off.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:59 pm

I realize my question sounds ridiculous but it's about as ridiculous as DL offering tickets with a 30 minute layover before an international flight with an expected terminal change. Even if there were no problems with the flight, I fail to see how your average Y passenger could make this connection unless DL assumes the TATL segment will be held for those passengers to arrive assuming an on time arrival. If it rains, of course all bets would be off.
DL probably doesn't offer that as a connection for sale but you've been sked changed into it. Prior to day of departure disruptions it's always up to the ticketing airline to fix issues. And you're likely eligible for a free change Which is why I suggested moving to KL or AF metal as FB should be able to open inventory on their flights.

Holding planes is something that does happen, but they are incredibly rare, and asking for one to be held, regardless of the reason, means that you put your time as more valuable than every other person on the plane combined.

When planes are held for connecting passengers, it's typically because there are quite a few passengers, or if the flight is the last flight of the day for that plane and it will RON there and no one is connecting onward, and then only for a few minutes typically.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:16 pm

DL probably doesn't offer that as a connection for sale but you've been sked changed into it.
Amazingly DL is still selling the flight combo with a 30 minute layover: DL 5692/142 (late December travel dates for me). And I agree, "holding" a plane is both incredibly rare and incredibly rude, which is why it's so ridiculous DL would offer flights that are almost guaranteed to misconnect even on a good day.

KOP84, thank you so much for your help. The best outcome would be FB giving me a flight on AF/KL metal. Every time this has happened before (I'm generally a OneWorld flyer) this has been easy. FB refuses to let me talk to a supervisor or open up award availability and nothing I can do/say can convince them otherwise.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you checked whether 30 minutes is a legal connection? If not, they're obligated to change it.

Unfortunately it's more than two weeks before departure, so EC261 rules about schedule changes don't apply, although be careful if you don't want to end up with just a refund.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
In general -
You can change flights with no added cost if a schedule change results in:
  • 60 earlier departure
  • 60 minute later arrival

You can cancel for full refund if a schedule change results in:
  • 90 earlier departure
  • 90 minute later arrival

As mentioned, it is best to call Delta with your desired flights in mind to make the call go as quickly as possible. In addition, since you mentioned this was a mileage ticket note that Delta can open mileage space on their own flights only, i.e. you won't be able to change to a SFO-CDG-PRG flight on AF if low space isn't released by AF on those flights.
TTT, I am aware DL cannot force book J space on AF/KL on an award ticket. My question is, if the AF or KL operated flight has a DL flight number can they force it? Is the functionality based on the other airline flight being "operated" by non-dl or just flight number?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.