Three Cheers for @Delta

Old Mar 9, 17, 8:24 am
pbj
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up Three Cheers for @Delta

Just a little positivity to start the day. Was on the short hop LAN-DTW connecting to DCA yesterday. Had a tight connection anyway, then a maintenance issue after pushback + dealing with 55mph+ winds we were running late enough that when I landed I was almost certain to miss my DC flight (after taking some crazy route over Canada I've never seen before). I tweeted @Delta that I was almost certain to miss the DC flight as I had 15 to scheduled departure, probably 5 minutes realistically to get from Mid C to Mid A concourse, so I asked to be backed up on the next flight to DC (which meant missing a customer dinner). Not only did they protect me they alerted the Elite Services team, got picked up plane side and delivered to my waiting plane to DCA. Not expected, but definitely much appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 17, 8:26 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Was it in a Porsche . . . . .

Or a Pinto?!?

Old Mar 9, 17, 8:28 am
pbj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Was it in a Porsche . . . . .

Or a Pinto?!?

The ever sought after luggage tug.
Old Mar 9, 17, 8:39 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
The ever sought after luggage tug.
WOW! Seriously?!? No pics?!?

THAT would be COOOOOOL!
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it like this?

Oh wait, that's a tug boat.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 9, 17, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
I contacted @Delta from the air yesterday when I noticed on the app that arrival into SEA was delayed and I'd been protected on a later flight SEA-SFO. Seats were under gate control, but @Delta assigned a seat for me, and later also was able to put me back on my original flight in case we made up time in the air (the system had automatically removed me from it).

Didn't get the Porsche transfer but did make the original connection ^
Old Mar 9, 17, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I'd been protected on a later flight SEA-SFO.
Did they protect'ya on SEA/NRT/PDX/SFO in J with a $2000 voucher for yer inconvenience?!?

Old Mar 9, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Is there any way to contact @delta through email? Text message? There are numerous reasons people specifically don't want a presence on "social media" such as twitter, Facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:34 pm
pbj
Original Poster

I don't have much social media presence.. My twitter account is used explicitly for contacting Delta. It's just some random user name, strong password and no personal info tied to it. When I contact them via Direct Message I just include my conf # and they take care of whatever I need.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Is there any way to contact @delta through email? Text message? There are numerous reasons people specifically don't want a presence on "social media" such as twitter, Facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc.
I guess this is the FT version of HUCA

You can send email to [email protected] but if you need something done quickly from the air, I think Twitter is pretty much the only way.

I can appreciate why people might want to avoid a social media account, but as adequately discussed in previous threads, there are plenty of workarounds for creating a one-off or burner email account that forwards into your default email account, or using "plussed" addressing if your email provider supports it (and then you don't even have to create an additional account).

If none of those are appealing, that's your choice of course.

Is there a way to reach these people without using twitter? Perhaps a phone number or an e-mail address?
Wouldn't it make sense to integrate on-line chat and @DeltaAssist so that people wouldn't have to go through Twitter? Also, they should have an option on the home page to go directly to online chat, rather than waiting for the box to randomly pop up.
Is it possible to access @DeltaAssist if you don't have a Twitter account? Can they be emailed or reached through some other mechanism that doesn't require creating an account? Or is there a way to use Twitter without an account?
Has anyone figured out how to use the Delta twitter service without having to subscribe to twitter?
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:47 pm

Someday, I'll hafto find a good IT person to explain to me how Twitter works.

Old Mar 9, 17, 1:48 pm
pbj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I guess this is the FT version of HUCA

I can appreciate why people might want to avoid a social media account, but as adequately discussed in previous threads, there are plenty of workarounds for creating a one-off or burner email account that forwards into your default email account, or using "plussed" addressing if your email provider supports it (and then you don't even have to create an additional account).

If none of those are appealing, that's your choice of course.
I don't get how twitter is any different than FT. Within 2 minutes I can make a fairly strong case I know who JimRPA is based on his FT profile guessing, title, education, etc...
Old Mar 9, 17, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
It's just social media--no quotation marks.

Why are you willing to join and post on Flyertalk, but not create a dummy twitter account solely to contact Delta?

If you're not willing to do so, you can't contact them on twitter. Similarly, you can't email them without an email address, and you can't send them a hand-written letter if you're morally opposed to pens and pencils.
Old Mar 9, 17, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an attempt to respond constructively I will point out the way Twitter works (including the fact that you can do a lot of it over SMS even if you don't have a Twitter client) makes it well-suited for low-bandwidth, high-latency situations (like being on a plane) where being able to communicate asynchronously is desirable.
Old Mar 9, 17, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
I don't have much social media presence.. My twitter account is used explicitly for contacting Delta. It's just some random user name, strong password and no personal info tied to it. When I contact them via Direct Message I just include my conf # and they take care of whatever I need.
The social parts of most, if not all, social networks is only half of what they do. They are communication tools, and you can communicate privately on Twitter. You can have an account and send private messages to Delta (or anyone else) without sharing anything publically on the internet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: