Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why would they bother?

Suppose a pax is IROPPED with his bags in E and needs to leave the airport. Are they going to give him the third degree on what is going on? Call into the office and verify his ITN? Of course not, They will stick an ATL tag on and through it on the belt. They likely see this hundreds of times a day, and they are not "hidden city" police.

[Do not know if they still can come out at N/S or would be forced to the Int groundside carosale. ]
Hadn't considered that angle but certainly fair and there must be a plan in place. I'm sure it happens frequently that someone is arriving off an international inbound into ATL and connecting onward to any of the cities within easy driving distance of ATL (BHM, CHA, MGM, CSG, etc.) and if they have a tight layover and misconnect due to a delayed inbound or taking too long to process through immigrations and customs, they certainly can elect to terminate in ATL and find alternate ground transportation to their final destination rather than wait for the next available flight. Would DL or the ATL Airport Authorities really say "Sorry, you HAVE to check your bag onward"? I imagine they have to have some sort of logistical set-up for this type of scenario.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Great. Due to WX IRROPS, that next available original routing is three days from now and your boss expects you at work the day before that for a big presentation.

It's not paranoia and it's not nonsense. It's realistic information, expectation setting, and food for thought for those who may be considering hidden city but perhaps aren't as charming as you are.

If people still want to do it, by all means it's their choice. But I'm not going to apologize for giving them information relevant to their decision.
Well put. ^ I'm not for or against hidden city ticketing and don't really care what others do, but as you said, it's not unreasonable to point out the potential risks of hidden city ticketing when the question is posed in the forum to then allow others to decide what to based on their own weighing of those factors.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Colin
it was the process since god was a boy for ATL locals arriving home from abroad to recheck bags from E to landside baggage claim - there is a defined process to get bags from E to landside.

if you believe you don't have the ability to handle mild conflict, then go ahead and pay the reissue fee.
Originally Posted by RRDD
God must not be that old, as Concourse “E” opened in 1994.
Also, ATL-bound bags haven't been delivered to Concourse E carousels since the int'l terminal opened in 2012, and the int'l change fee hasn't been $150 for...a while.

If you believe you should make decisions based on information that was valid between 6 and 24 years ago, then go ahead and ignore the other valid information people are sharing here.

Again, FT is a place where it's useful to post about actual experiences and expectations. That's all most of us are trying to do - not sure why some people choose to take personal offense at that.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

says the guy who doesn't know the difference between a past vs. present tense verb and doesn't know that Delta charges $150 for award ticket changes
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Colin
says the guy who doesn't know the difference between a past vs. present tense verb and doesn't know that Delta charges $150 for award ticket changes
Aww.

Bless your heart.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by pvn
this can't possibly be correct. What do you do if you have a legitimate ticket terminating at ATL and you arrive at E???
Realizing that I’m late to the discussion, the missing link here is that your checked bags will have a different tag if you are ticketed to ATL as your final destination, depositing them at the F baggage claim. PAX ticketed onward will have their bags tagged to that destination but will be offloaded to the E baggage claim. So one flight has two offloaders, one to F and one to E.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Question DM Line Suggests International Throw-Away Ticketing?

All - long time lurker, first time poster here

Trying to figure out flights for a multi-continent summer trip - ATL to Belgrade, eventually Croatia -> Zambia, then back to ATL. Was on the phone w/ DM line trying to figure out Africa->ATL return flights because the website wasn't showing anything, comparing prices and miles for JNB->ATL, LOS->ATL, ACC->JFK->ATL, etc.

I was surprised when the rep, listing prices for JNB->ATL, said "it's ~2800 for the one way, but the round trip will be cheaper. Picking a random return date later it's showing as ~1600 for the round trip. So when you book you should do that". Looked through all the threads on here - Throw-Away ticketing is definitely against the CoC, but here I am w/ the Diamond Medallion rep suggesting I do it??

That got me thinking, and sure enough it's the same for ATL->BEG - round trip is much cheaper. For that I had planned on using a GUC to get some sleep on the ATL-FCO leg. So, questions:
  1. Anyone have recent experience booking a round-trip international fare w/ Delta and skipping the return leg? From what I've read, doing it once or twice shouldn't be a big deal, but most recent threads were from a couple years ago. I have a large skymile balance that I don't want frozen.
  2. Any additional issues doing it on the ATL-BEG trip alongside using the Global Upgrade Certificate?
Thanks in advance for any advice - normally traveling for business so I'd just book one ways, but this is personal and the savings are 2 grand+ here.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, UA Silver, DL Plat, AS MVP, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
I haven't had any issues and have done it maybe 3 times this year. It's just so much cheaper. I usually hold onto that ticket for as long as you can because sometimes there are schedule changes and weather waivers that will allow the return part of the ticket to be refunded. The only issue to watch out for is booking another flight on the same airline while you are supposed to be on the return trip. That new booking would then be cancelled a few hours-days later. International one ways generally force flexible YBM even if there are cheaper tickets available.

Can't speak to GUC issue since not DM yet but I wouldn't forsee a problem with it.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
This seems to be not materially different from hidden city ticketing, which I recall reading an argument about on here recently. Shall we infer from the agent’s instructions that that’s allowed now too?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by strickerj
This seems to be not materially different from hidden city ticketing, which I recall reading an argument about on here recently. Shall we infer from the agent’s instructions that that’s allowed now too?
Certainly not allowed. The agent wasn't speaking on behalf of Delta or quoting Delta policy. The agent, as an individual, was simply making a common sense suggestion. I sure hope that posting and talking about it here publicly doesn't get the helpful agent in trouble with RM now.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Certainly not allowed. The agent wasn't speaking on behalf of Delta or quoting Delta policy. The agent, as an individual, was simply making a common sense suggestion. I sure hope that posting and talking about it here publicly doesn't get the helpful agent in trouble with RM now.
How could it ever be traced back to a specific agent? especially when the OP didnt actually book anything? I guess they *could* review every agent's call recordings, but um, no.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
How could it ever be traced back to a specific agent? especially when the OP didnt actually book anything? I guess they *could* review every agent's call recordings, but um, no.
Probably not. Still, I am a strong believer in not biting the hand that feeds you.

With DL, the hand that beats you is Delta (corporate, RM, dysfunctional and anti-customer, non-transparent policies, etc.), and the hand that occasionally feeds you is a good agent, as rare as it is nowadays.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Shouldn't be any issue with applying a GUC to just the direction/segments you want and not the other part. GUCs are only per direction anyway so it isn't unusual to request using one for part of the trip and not upgrading the other portions.

You should be fine as long as you don't make a regular habit out of doing this. And as mentioned above don't book another trip that coincides for when the return would be.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

I thought checked luggage must now always travel on the same flight as the passenger post 9/11 and if the passenger misses the flight (intentionally or not) the bags will be offloaded?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I thought checked luggage must now always travel on the same flight as the passenger post 9/11 and if the passenger misses the flight (intentionally or not) the bags will be offloaded?
Only on international flights. Bag matching isn’t required on domestic flights.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Chicago and Toronto are significantly cheaper, even when you fly through Detroit, because there's so much competition at those airports. I skip the final DTW-YYZ or DTW-MDW segment 2-3 times a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.