Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Colin
at Concourse E connections baggage claim, rip the baggage tags indicating MEM final destination off all your checked luggage, tell the DL agent to tag your bags for pickup at landside baggage claim in main terminal T.
you'd be a fool to pay Delta a $150 change fee to drop the final segment and reissue
Huh? DL agents can tag bags to be delivered to specific concourses where there aren't even baggage carousels?

Assuming you just.meant the domestic baggage claim in South Terminal, I don't even think that's possible. From the connections area in E, I'd think the two options when re-check are ATL is final destination and they get sent to intl landside baggage claim (concourse F), or they are transferred back to the tarmac for loading on to the connecting flight.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:18 pm

the point is you’ll be able to get checked luggage from intl connecting baggage claim E to landside baggage claim (F or T) without a $150 ticket reissue.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
the point is you’ll be able to get checked luggage from intl connecting baggage claim E to landside baggage claim (F or T) without a $150 ticket reissue.
The counter point is if your bag was checked through to your final ticketed destination, you may need to anticipate resistance and a few questions from the re-check agents as to why you're doing what you're doing.

Transferring bags from E customs to F landside carousel is not a standard procedure. The assumption is that all checked bags showing up in E are being rechecked to be placed on an onward flight.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:47 pm

go ahead and spend $150 then for that peace of mind

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
First question... My purchase of a 14" pizza does not preclude someone else purchasing a pizza (and I would take the last piece home). Ludicrous analogy. Try again. Try harder next time.

Second question... Yes. Now, perhaps some standby at the airport might use the seat. But, if I am at home, needing to purchase a seat on the "sold out" flight, then I have been disadvantaged.

Nothing in the OP's post indicates any last minute exigent circumstances. In fact, his second post says:

"My connection point coming back into the USA is DTW. From there supposed to get on another flight to Flint Michigan. I want to skip the Flint flight and just leave the airport. It was like $500 cheaper ticket then just buying my round trip to/from DTW. I will not be checking bags."

He is merely, for his convenience, trying to avoid the fare basis that he agreed to with the original ticket purchase. He has already deprived the airline of $500 in income, and now wants to have his cake and eat it too. His actions are fully premeditated. (I am surprised that there are no responses from the stockholders on this issue.)

What would I do? I would honor the agreement that I originally entered into.

Just trying to look at this from the airline's point of view.

We bellyache here when there is a perception that the airline is not following the rules (as in the ad nauseum Sheena threads, or when we perceive that we have been wrongly deprived of a SDC opportunity) but then we counsel others on how they can avoid complying with the rules, to their advantage.

Seems more than a bit hypocritical.

For the record... I have just defended DL. Fair is fair. Or, in the OP's case... Fare in unfair, since he is trying to game the system.
Delta is gaming the system. Yes, they are allowed to, as they make the rules, but please.
Fly one LESS segment and pay $500 MORE? That's a great game.

People game the system, because the system is a game. No more, no less.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

go ahead and spend $150 then for that peace of mind
Again, not the point.

Getting your bags redirected may certainly be possible, but other (including me) are simply saying it might not be as easy-going as your dismissive posts seem to indicate. Anyone trying this should anticipate being met with some questions and resistance.

More importantly, as others have pointed out, there is a very real possibility that one's trip may experience IRROPS and be routed through a different connection point, meaning an exit from ATL would quite literally be impossible. If you've found a way to get the DTW transfer desk to retag your bag for ATL when you are ticketed to MEM or wherever, that would indeed be an exceptional feat. You're also still left with the issue of your person not having a seat on a flight destined for ATL.

For anyone worried about that, a $200 (domestic) or $500 (intl) change fee, to rebook to the desired O&D may very much be worthwhile.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by wxman22
Delta is gaming the system. Yes, they are allowed to, as they make the rules, but please.
Fly one LESS segment and pay $500 MORE? That's a great game.

People game the system, because the system is a game. No more, no less.
My grocery store sells baked beans for $1.00 for two cans.

I feel that the true value of baked bean would dictate that I should get 3 cans for $1.00.

I am mad at the store since they make all the rules.

I'll get even, and protest this unfair treatment by purchasing 2 cans and sneaking the third out in my pocket.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Again, not the point.

Getting your bags redirected may certainly be possible, but other (including me) are simply saying it might not be as easy-going as your dismissive posts seem to indicate. Anyone trying this should anticipate being met with some questions and resistance.

More importantly, as others have pointed out, there is a very real possibility that one's trip may experience IRROPS and be routed through a different connection point, meaning an exit from ATL would quite literally be impossible. If you've found a way to get the DTW transfer desk to retag your bag for ATL when you are ticketed to MEM or wherever, that would indeed be an exceptional feat. You're also still left with the issue of your person not having a seat on a flight destined for ATL.

For anyone worried about that, a $200 (domestic) or $500 (intl) change fee, to rebook to the desired O&D may very much be worthwhile.
all bs. someone may ask a question? so what?

irrops? no thanks DTW, i’ll wait until next available seat original routing.

this paranoia is nonsense.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

all bs. someone may ask a question? so what?

irrops? no thanks DTW, i’ll wait until next available seat original routing.

this paranoia is nonsense.
Great. Due to WX IRROPS, that next available original routing is three days from now and your boss expects you at work the day before that for a big presentation.

It's not paranoia and it's not nonsense. It's realistic information, expectation setting, and food for thought for those who may be considering hidden city but perhaps aren't as charming as you are.

If people still want to do it, by all means it's their choice. But I'm not going to apologize for giving them information relevant to their decision.
kop84 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Again, not the point.

It´s an award ticket issued by GOL (Smiles) and they strangely don´t change tickets, only cancel. It´s almost certain that the availability (2pax GRU-ATL in delta One) will not return to the inventory. I would gladly pay for a change fee if it was possible...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:52 am

at Concourse E connections baggage claim, rip the baggage tags indicating MEM final destination off all your checked luggage, tell the DL agent to tag your bags for pickup at landside baggage claim in main terminal T.
you'd be a fool to pay Delta a $150 change fee to drop the final segment and reissue
Wouldn't the agent question why there are no tags on checked sized bags? Don't they have to go into the PNR to print the tags anyway and see the MEM connection?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:16 am

it was the process since god was a boy for ATL locals arriving home from abroad to recheck bags from E to landside baggage claim - there is a defined process to get bags from E to landside.

if you believe you don't have the ability to handle mild conflict, then go ahead and pay the reissue fee.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
If you are planning on hidden city ticketing through ATL on an international trip always use the 24 layover option to book onward flight with the longest connecting time. This allows for the bags to be checked to ATL if connection over 6 hours.

a) Connection Time Exceeding Four Hours
Passengers making connections to the first available Delta flight departing from an intermediate point may
reclaim their baggage at the intermediate point if the connection exceeds six hours, but is less than twelve
hours. If the connection time exceeds twelve hours, the passenger must reclaim his baggage at the
intermediate point.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Wouldn't the agent question why there are no tags on checked sized bags? Don't they have to go into the PNR to print the tags anyway and see the MEM connection?
Why would they bother?

Suppose a pax is IROPPED with his bags in E and needs to leave the airport. Are they going to give him the third degree on what is going on? Call into the office and verify his ITN? Of course not, They will stick an ATL tag on and through it on the belt. They likely see this hundreds of times a day, and they are not "hidden city" police.

[Do not know if they still can come out at N/S or would be forced to the Int groundside carosale. ]
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
it was the process since god was a boy for ATL locals arriving home from abroad to recheck bags from E to landside baggage claim....
God must not be that old, as Concourse “E” opened in 1994.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.