Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page > Delta Ad Expertly Trolls Angeleno Pronunciation Of 'Los Feliz' To Sell LAX To Mexico

Delta Ad Expertly Trolls Angeleno Pronunciation Of 'Los Feliz' To Sell LAX To Mexico

Reply

Old Feb 28, 17, 7:51 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA/AA
Posts: 1,615
Delta Ad Expertly Trolls Angeleno Pronunciation Of 'Los Feliz' To Sell LAX To Mexico

Delta Ad Expertly Trolls Angeleno Pronunciation Of 'Los Feliz' To Sell LAX To Mexico Flights

Everyone else can go home because Delta Airlines has officially won the niche marketing game. There appears to be a wall-sized ad on Hyperion Avenue near Tracy Street* from the airline advertising their LAX to Mexico flights with the ultimate in creative taglines: "Go where everyone agrees how to pronounce 'Los Feliz.'"

The airline is, of course, riffing on the fact that the Angeleno pronunciation of the neighborhood (los FEEL-uz) is, um, wrong. Or at least it differs from the actual Spanish pronunciation of the phrase (los fey-LEASE).

http://laist.com/2017/02/28/delta_los_feliz.php
jaymar01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:39 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Posts: 3,171
Nice Ad

I'm pretty impressed with that bit of micro-market marketing.

I'm not Hispanic, but I stopped pronouncing LA's harbor area as "San PEE-dro" a long time ago. That one is especially embarrassing.
Bowgie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 1:03 am
  #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Posts: 290
Wait, do people down there really pronounce it that way? With so many people (even non-latinos) who speak Spanish? ... is wrong with them? lol
HonoraryOrange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:21 am
  #4
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flying to a boat
Programs: DL DM/MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 707
Despite all the hispanic names in California, common pronunciations are often funny. How about the biggest city, L.A.? You know, La La Land, as in "Laws Angeles"? Even though it it is really LOS Angeles...
ULDB65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 10:55 am
  #5
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by ULDB65 View Post
Despite all the hispanic names in California, common pronunciations are often funny. How about the biggest city, L.A.? You know, La La Land, as in "Laws Angeles"? Even though it it is really LOS Angeles...
Angeles is also mispronounced.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:26 am
  #6
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45° North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 8,942
Don't even try to get Sepulveda pronounced correctly.
TTT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:28 am
  #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, SPG Plat -> MR Plat -> UA Silver lol
Posts: 6,167
Originally Posted by ULDB65 View Post
Despite all the hispanic names in California, common pronunciations are often funny.
A (non-Hispanic) friend of mine has a rant about how people pronounce the name of the town Vallejo in northern Calif. It's commonly pronounced va-LAY-ho -- he says if you're going to bother pronouncing the "-jo" correctly then why not "-ll-" also, i.e. va-YAY-ho? :
Zorak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:40 am
  #8
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
A (non-Hispanic) friend of mine has a rant about how people pronounce the name of the town Vallejo in northern Calif. It's commonly pronounced va-LAY-ho -- he says if you're going to bother pronouncing the "-jo" correctly then why not "-ll-" also, i.e. va-YAY-ho? :
Does he mean "va-yeh-hoh"?

va-yay-ho would be spelled Valleijo.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:53 am
  #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SLC
Programs: DL♦, KM, & 1.7MM; UA Gold; HH♦; National EE
Posts: 4,008
La Jolla can be amusing at times.
Howste is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 12:03 pm
  #10
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,692
One that grates on my ears is Los ROBE-ulls just north of Slow.
Doc Savage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:10 pm
  #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ATL
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
A (non-Hispanic) friend of mine has a rant about how people pronounce the name of the town Vallejo in northern Calif. It's commonly pronounced va-LAY-ho -- he says if you're going to bother pronouncing the "-jo" correctly then why not "-ll-" also, i.e. va-YAY-ho? :
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
Does he mean "va-yeh-hoh"?

va-yay-ho would be spelled Valleijo.
Well, it depends on the part of the world where you are while pronouncing the word. In Argentina, for example, a double-L is pronounced "zha/zhow". In other words, if you tell someone you flew ATL-EZE-BRC for a fabulous golf, cycling or in my case, a ski vacation, at the Llao Llao hotel you would say...the "Zhow Zhow" hotel (and it's a fabulous one at that: http://llaollao.com/en/). Just ask my fellow travelers "Ah-zha-son" (Allison) and "Bi-bee-ah-na" (Vivian).

And at what point do you look pretentious/ridiculous...like the other day talking to my husband's colleague flying JFK-ATL when she was just back from FCO and looking for future visits to Italy. 'Oh, you didn't get to the Amalfi coast, you must! CAH-pri is not to be missed', said w intentional sarcasm. It's like saying, 'we're just home from Venezia.' Who does that?

Here in ATL I don't know that there's a way to mispronounce Peachtree but it does need a qualifier if you're giving directions (i.e. street, circle, road, battle avenue, etc.). And don't forget, at the airport Delta = Delta Air Lines, military code for concourse and taxi way Delta substitute pronunciation = Dixie.
PRWeezer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:23 pm
  #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 9,481
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange View Post
Wait, do people down there really pronounce it that way? With so many people (even non-latinos) who speak Spanish? ... is wrong with them? lol
Bear in mind that, demographically, California is very, very different from what it was as recently as the '70s. Prior to the '80s the Latino population was pretty tiny. A lot of the pronunciations developed during the time when Latino populations were much smaller.
pbarnette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:36 pm
  #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, SPG Plat -> MR Plat -> UA Silver lol
Posts: 6,167
Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
And at what point do you look pretentious/ridiculous...like the other day talking to my husband's colleague flying JFK-ATL when she was just back from FCO and looking for future visits to Italy. 'Oh, you didn't get to the Amalfi coast, you must! CAH-pri is not to be missed', said w intentional sarcasm. It's like saying, 'we're just home from Venezia.' Who does that?
I got free tickets to a Giada cooking demonstration in Las Vegas a few years ago and she consistently pronounced "spaghetti" in an drawn-out exaggerated Italian fashion, "spah-GEH-tee". It's on the menu too (they spell out the pronunciations of all the various dishes).

http://www.giadadelaurentiis.com/upl...nter_20165.pdf

The food at her restaurant at the Cromwell is amazing, but still

(insert Seinfeld "papier mâché" clip here)
Zorak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 8:59 pm
  #14
Moderator, Mileage Run
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: KATL
Programs: DL DM/1MM
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
Well, it depends on the part of the world where you are while pronouncing the word. In Argentina, for example, a double-L is pronounced "zha/zhow". In other words, if you tell someone you flew ATL-EZE-BRC for a fabulous golf, cycling or in my case, a ski vacation, at the Llao Llao hotel you would say...the "Zhow Zhow" hotel (and it's a fabulous one at that: http://llaollao.com/en/). Just ask my fellow travelers "Ah-zha-son" (Allison) and "Bi-bee-ah-na" (Vivian).
To my ear, the J, Y and LL are all pronounced the same in Argentina. It think it's technically more like the German "CH" (the one followed by a front vowel) than a "ZH" sound though.

Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
And at what point do you look pretentious/ridiculous...like the other day talking to my husband's colleague flying JFK-ATL when she was just back from FCO and looking for future visits to Italy. 'Oh, you didn't get to the Amalfi coast, you must! CAH-pri is not to be missed', said w intentional sarcasm. It's like saying, 'we're just home from Venezia.' Who does that?
Don't get me started on English speakers who use the Spanish "TH" sound. Like "We just got back from EE-BEE-THA." i.e. Ibiza.
18sas is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 17, 9:42 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ATL
Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I got free tickets to a Giada cooking demonstration in Las Vegas a few years ago and she consistently pronounced "spaghetti" in an drawn-out exaggerated Italian fashion, "spah-GEH-tee". It's on the menu too (they spell out the pronunciations of all the various dishes).

http://www.giadadelaurentiis.com/upl...nter_20165.pdf

The food at her restaurant at the Cromwell is amazing, but still

(insert Seinfeld "papier mâché" clip here)
I thought the spa-GHE-ti was some kind of inside joke/insider drinking game for her verbally on her TV shows, I've never heard that inflection in real life in Italy. That's sort of insulting to provide phonetics for simple pasta but not for arancini (a-run-chee-nee) or dolce (dol-chey). I have to admit ciliengne was a new Italian word for me so I google'd...Trader Joe's calls it "see-lay-genie" which I'm told is wrong according to my Italian instructor, and my brother who has lived in Italy multiple times over the years, who said to pronounce every syllable, but with rules like ch = k as in chianti and ci = ch as in ciangiale (chin-gal-ay/aka wild boar).

Last edited by PRWeezer; Mar 2, 17 at 6:12 am
PRWeezer is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.