Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Key West (EYW) airport bag limits and other questions

Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I didn't see a forum for just airports, so obviously some of these questions are not unique to Delta, but:

Have a flight (on Delta) in July from ALB to ATL and then a 4 hour or so layover and then ATL to EYW. Return trip is the exact reverse itinerary except for the 4 hour layover in ATL.

I saw on Yelp some people saying that only 1 checked bag is allowed and someone else said that carry-on bags on Delta aren't allowed either (they make you gate check?) Since not everything on Yelp is "true", I thought I'd ask here.

Are you limited to one checked bag? (I think I saw a FT posting from 2014 that said this is true for the 73W's due to weight limitations).

And: Are you not able to carry on bags either? (wonder if this counts against your "one checked" bag?)

I also hear/see that the weather can be fun at times, so in preparation, what should I have as backup plans in the event my ATL to EYW gets cancelled. I think there's 2 other flights that leave later that day. Usually DL has been good to me with IRROPS (as opposed to AA) but I could've been lucky. Oh, I'm also traveling with the Amex companion pass, if that matters.

thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
From the main baggage allowance page:

Travel within the United States and Canada

(If traveling to/from Key West, all passengers are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.)

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...p/checked.html
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Can't speak to the carryon policy but for checked bags it is true that to EYW you're limited to 1 checked bag.

(If traveling to/from Key West, all passengers are limited to one checked bag. This supersedes all exceptions.)
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...checked.html#1

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 28, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
FWIW - wife and I just went to EYW last month and carried on 20" rollers and had "personal items" ATL>EYW was a 737-700
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You do get the regular carry-on baggage allotment and you can check one bag, but that's it. If you are a DM on a paid F ticket, it's still just one checked bag.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Short runway I assume?

I wonder if medallions are still entitled to a 70 lbs bag.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
Short runway I assume?

4801' runway. It's a fun landing and take off.

Yes, a medallion can still bring 70#.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
Was there last month.

1 Checked Bag per person and normal carry on standards. Delta fly's the 737 becuase of the short run way.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
Short runway I assume?

Yes, mine was about 60lbs
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:13 pm

It's Key West. If I can't fit it into a smal carryone, I don't need it.

Flown into EYW a few times. It will be a hard landing and quick stop! Love the place.

Also when departing the airport is so small that you are through security in under 10 min every time. Nice to know you don't have to rush to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Short runway I assume?

It might be the shortest runway in the US with mainline service.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by teCh0010
It might be the shortest runway in the US with mainline service.
"I see a bet coming up here, Babalugats."
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by Allan38103
"I see a bet coming up here, Babalugats."
shortest I know is hilton head with 4300 feet. It's serviced by AA, but not mainline. only runs regional jets out of Charlotte. There is a plan to accommodate larger aircraft via an expanded runway though.

aspen has a longer runway, but is apparently very thin. I understand some hope to widen the runway to accommodate 737s in the coming years, but one can fly from Atlanta to Aspen on a CRJ-700 now. There isn't a similar restriction on luggage at Aspen airport... but if you aren't a medallion or first class, your baggage may stay an extra few days until they can find a slot.

I believe santos Dumont in Brazil operates mainline Brazilian jets at 4341 feet of runway length.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I heard the same about security being short, but heard the opposite about the check-in lines (one maybe 2 agents working the counter, so might take 1+ hours just to check in).

Yes, have heard the landing/takeoff is "fun". (First time so we'll see). But I figured it's better than the 4+ hour drive from MIA (although some people like to do that).

I was a little surprised it wasn't a CRJ of some sort (I think AA uses prop jobs on some of the flights, but not 100% sure).

thanks again, FT!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by Gwing21
Yes, mine was about 60lbs
When I was there in January, I was limited to 50 lbs, I was a Platinum. I was not on a 737 and this was when they were bumping folks off of flights due to weight and balance restrictions. I actually think my flight went out without luggage and was put on the next available 737. I actually took a bump and spend and extra night in EYW. So, if you are NOT on the 737, do not assume the 50 lbs will not be enforced. I had to shift stuff to get the check bag under 50 lbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.