Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Fraud

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skymiles
AMEX Fraud

In November I was walking through ATL when an AMEX/Delta sky miles rep approached me about signing up for a AMEX platinum. He said get 30k miles and a companion ticket for signing up and charging $1000 to the card in the first 3 months. I told him I already had Delta Gold AMEX and had just renewed my account. He said no worries they will credit the cost of Gold card to Platinum. I would just need to pay the $100 difference. I signed up then I called AMEX and found out that wasn't true. I passed the phone to the rep and he said I'm sorry I didn't know... Now 3 month later no 30K miles yet and I just learned today no companion tix until I renew in November. Sales tactics are worse than the Wells Fargo scandal. Post a reply if similar has happened to you. We may need a class action lawsuit to get these deplorable sky miles / American Express tactics to stop. It's fraud plain and simple.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:56 pm

I ask reps like this to show me the terms & conditions when they say unreasonable things.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The worst part is that the better bonuses for signing up for the Platinum card usually range between 50-70k miles, not the 30k you were offered.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

I find them to be very aggressive in ATL. To the point of rudeness. I currently hold the delta platinum, but was being harassed for several steps about how i could upgrade or open a business, etc etc etc. "No thank you" was not enough for them. I've watched their aggressive tactics on others as well.

Looks poorly upon both Delta and Amex. I understand they are on commission, but no is no.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

I had something similar happen, except directly from Amex. I upgraded my card from the gold to platinum in my "amex offers" part of my online account with the promise of 25k bonus miles. I took screenshots of the offer and everything. Met the spending threshold, and wasn't credited. Asked Amex what gave, and they said they would do an investigation that would take 6-8 weeks and they'd let me know no later than 8 weeks later. After 9 weeks, I contacted them, and they said "oh, well you aren't eligible for this offer." Submitted a BBB complaint, and they "mailed" their response. BBB requires something like 5 days to submit a rebuttal on my end (including weekends and holidays). Of course their position didn't change, and when I pointed out that I didn't receive the letter via snail mail yet, so I couldn't accept their response, Amex said I had to give them 2 weeks for receipt of their mailing.

If you go on the Amex BBB page, we are not alone. It's happening to more than just us. Rather awful on Amex's part, but frankly not surprising. Their customer service has gotten quite terrible in the past few years.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Here we go again. Since fraud is alleged by AMEX shouldn't this be on another board?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Here we go again. Since fraud is alleged by AMEX shouldn't this be on another board?
I'm not the moderator but I think it belongs here. It's specific to the sales people in ATL pitching the Delta Platinum SkyMiles card, from what I read, and lying about being able to upgrade from the Gold SkyMiles card.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear you were given bad information by a sales associate.

I personally try to avoid any kind of high pressure sales situation. I prefer to make a thoughtful, informed decision on my own time rather than rely on whatever some salesperson is willing to say in order to close a deal.

I mean, look at how misinformed some Delta reps are even though they don't have much of an incentive to insist on some of the rules they do (e.g., SDC rules, GUC rules, etc.).

Have you tried lodging a complaint with AmEx? I've found they have good customer service, and at a minimum, they should be able to refund your annual fee and cancel your account.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

I didn't view DL Amex as a fraud but they wanted to verify I wasn't. After applying and sending me a card with a $10k+ limit, after I used it once it got blocked. I called to try and remove it and they said there was questions about me since it was a new account.
Had to use my Visa instead, which was fine. They later removed the block and then shortly thereafter put another block on my card. I called and said this is ridiculous. I'm trying to give you money and you're making me jump through hoops. I have no criminal record and perfect credit, never a single late bill in my life.
To remove the block they wanted me to fill out a form they emailed me and have it notorized. I went to my BoA and they said they don't provide that service. Went to Chase and they said all of their notary people have expired, but to try the UPS Store. Went there and paid $2.00 to have it notorized. Faxed in the paper work and it was rejected as it did not come from a financial institute.
At that point I canceled the card. Instead of thanking me for business they treated me like a criminal. I told them I'm happy with my Visa and goodbye. Some of the worst customer service I've ever seen.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I have called out a few of those Amex hawkers over the years - but not recently . . . .

When I've heard them say - something like - "Sign up now and get a free ticket!"

I told them that you don't get a free ticket! The hawkers would say - You get 25,000 miles, which would get you a free ticket. I told them that it's not guaranteed, depending on destination, dates, availability, etc.

I guess they weren't too happy with me!

That said . . . Any idea how much commission they get for getting an app completed <and I guess accepted>?!?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:43 am

Class action? Give it up bro. You signed up and obviously didn't read the T&Cs. Don't blame the rep.

But I agree with others. So annoying walking through ATL with these reps around. Doesn't look good for AMEX nor Delta in my opinion.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:23 am

Completely agree with everyone about how annoying it is in ATL. I can't ever recall them being at other airports, but they must be there - they must mind their manners so I don't notice them. The people that are hawking these credit cards never struck me as people I would want to give my personal info to in order to sign up for the card. There are practically neon signs screaming "don't trust these people, its a scam!" Part of me says caveat emptor, but a bigger part of me says it would be nice if some action was taken to get these hustlers out of the airports. It doesn't sound like you have taken any action since your initial call, but what I would recommend is writing a letter to DL and AmEx, explaining what you were promised and what you expect. You need to go above and beyond to give them an opportunity for them to make it right (no matter how futile it may seem), otherwise any further action you take will be dismissed. See what kind of a response you get (who knows, they may surprise you), and then maybe write to your attorney general. Given the low value, the likely low number of people under the same circumstance as you, and that most of your case will be based on hearsay, you probably don't have much of a case for litigation.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Why would you believe anything the representative said? They are paid minimum (or very close to) minimum wage and likely have no idea what they are selling or how it works nor really care about you getting the card. If they say something interesting verify it via the AMEX website or some other written material.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.