Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Inbound and outbound: why same flight number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Why, on some routes, does DL use the same flight number for both the inbound and outbound flight?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It is alleged - due to extensive international codesharing - that there is a dearth of flight numbers 1-9999.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Saves flight numbers.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Why not?!?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Indeed. Why have flight numbers at all? Origin, destination, and sked Dep time is all that's needed. ;-)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:56 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I remember reading that the GDSs charge for flight numbers. Have no idea if that's true but though.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Indeed. Why have flight numbers at all? Origin, destination, and sked Dep time is all that's needed. ;-)
I see your 'smiley face' so I realize you're just having some fun, but from the serious operational side of things, when there's 50 planes all buzzing around ATL airspace coming and going it makes it real hard to for ATC to have a meaningful discussion with us if everybody's callsign is simply "Delta". In fact, from the pointy end of the plane, we get irritated at marketing when they choose too many flight numbers that sound similar headed into a particular airport at the same time. It leads to big trouble on the radios when Delta 505 and Delta 509 are speaking to the same controller on a busy frequency.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Down3Green
It leads to big trouble on the radios when Delta 505 and Delta 509 are speaking to the same controller on a busy frequency.
Not really related, but, I took a driving trip once, to the Lancaster / Reading area (PA).

Highway route #'s 22 / 222 / 322 / 422 / 72 / 272 . . .

Are all in the same area. WOW! That was fun driving!

Thanx for alowing me a brief interlude!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
My understanding is that, with the NW merger and the SkyReam expansion, Delta ran out of flight numbers. I'm told this is also why international flights aren't confined to the 10s and 100s anymore. Actually kind of sad.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
the SkyReam expansion
WELL, there'z'a LOT that could be said for THIS remark.

Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:08 pm

Would going to five digits break Delta's IT so badly that expanding the pool of numbers is simply beyond any possibility of it being a solution?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Would going to five digits break Delta's IT so badly that expanding the pool of numbers is simply beyond any possibility of it being a solution?
Yes. Yes it would. Not to mention the thousands of flight monitors that only have room to show 4 digits.

And undoubtedly DL would charge us a 5 digit flight number "convenience" fee for the privilege. Of course this would be waved for Delta 360 members, or anyone who spends 100K annually on their DL cobranded Amex.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Well, yes, it probably would probably break Delta's IT systems, but the bigger issue is that the FAA's ATC system limits flight numbers to four digits.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I would assume the far most important issue with assigning flight numbers is that two with the same airline-code/number can not be operating at the same time.

As such, a return from an outstation is a logical way to reuse numbers.

That and "direct" flights where the same plane flies A-B-C :-)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would assume the far most important issue with assigning flight numbers is that two with the same airline-code/number can not be operating at the same time.
I agree, and I've also seen ATC append letters to flight numbers within the same area control with similar/same flt numbers to avoid this confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.