Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Redeposit of miles used to upgrade not possible?

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold

I upgraded a TPA-DTW segment with miles. The trip needs to be canceled. Diamond agent says it's not possible to put the miles back.

Sounds absurd to me. Is this right?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL regards miles as a form of currency, so it just depends on the fare rules ... if it's a non-refundable fare, they're gone

I bought a cheap DCA-RDU-FLL fare last year on PWM (something like $39 + 5000 miles); had the same question when plans changed a couple weeks later, and wasn't at all surprised at the answer
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this a pay with miles upgrade or did you do an upgrade award? If it's the latter, I would have expected the rules about cancelling award tickets 72 hours in advance and the re deposit fee for people other than DMs and PMs to apply.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
DL regards miles as a form of currency, so it just depends on the fare rules ... if it's a non-refundable fare, they're gone

I bought a cheap DCA-RDU-FLL fare last year on PWM (something like $39 + 5000 miles); had the same question when plans changed a couple weeks later, and wasn't at all surprised at the answer
PWM is different from an award upgrade. PWM you're paying get using miles as currency. An upgrade award though can be redeposited as long as more then 72 hours from departure and ticket is being cancelled. Can't simply return the upgrade, keep the ticket, and hope for op-up or free unlimited upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
PWM is different from an award upgrade. PWM you're paying get using miles as currency. An upgrade award though can be redeposited as long as more then 72 hours from departure and ticket is being cancelled. Can't simply return the upgrade, keep the ticket, and hope for op-up or free unlimited upgrade.
I thought you could cancel an upgrade if there's still inventory in your original coach fare class.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought you could cancel an upgrade if there's still inventory in your original coach fare class.
I've been told no, and the reasoning makes sense. Otherwise people would fill the cabin with miles upgrades, wait, return the upgrade, and either get free/op-up. Also would mean that seats that could've been sold for $ might not have been.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
HUCA

Note: Award Tickets and mileage upgrades must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight departure time to redeposit the miles.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/award-travel/award-service-fees.html
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM
You can redeposit the miles, but you may have to pay more in air fare if your original class of service in coach is not longer available. (The flights would have to be upfared to the next lowest class of service available. This does have to be done at least 72 hours prior to departure. Change fees may well apply ($200.00 per ticket if you have to up fare). YMMV
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've been told no, and the reasoning makes sense. Otherwise people would fill the cabin with miles upgrades, wait, return the upgrade, and either get free/op-up. Also would mean that seats that could've been sold for $ might not have been.
There's nothing stopping people from buying refundable tickets doing the exact same thing. That's what they have Revenue Protection Units for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.