FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Redeposit of miles used to upgrade not possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1822739-redeposit-miles-used-upgrade-not-possible.html)

Babu Feb 16, 17 8:24 am

Redeposit of miles used to upgrade not possible?

I upgraded a TPA-DTW segment with miles. The trip needs to be canceled. Diamond agent says it's not possible to put the miles back.

Sounds absurd to me. Is this right?

jrl767 Feb 16, 17 9:15 am

DL regards miles as a form of currency, so it just depends on the fare rules ... if it's a non-refundable fare, they're gone

I bought a cheap DCA-RDU-FLL fare last year on PWM (something like $39 + 5000 miles); had the same question when plans changed a couple weeks later, and wasn't at all surprised at the answer

MSPeconomist Feb 16, 17 10:12 am

Was this a pay with miles upgrade or did you do an upgrade award? If it's the latter, I would have expected the rules about cancelling award tickets 72 hours in advance and the re deposit fee for people other than DMs and PMs to apply.

flyerCO Feb 16, 17 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 27917568)
DL regards miles as a form of currency, so it just depends on the fare rules ... if it's a non-refundable fare, they're gone

I bought a cheap DCA-RDU-FLL fare last year on PWM (something like $39 + 5000 miles); had the same question when plans changed a couple weeks later, and wasn't at all surprised at the answer

PWM is different from an award upgrade. PWM you're paying get using miles as currency. An upgrade award though can be redeposited as long as more then 72 hours from departure and ticket is being cancelled. Can't simply return the upgrade, keep the ticket, and hope for op-up or free unlimited upgrade.

MSPeconomist Feb 16, 17 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27917873)
PWM is different from an award upgrade. PWM you're paying get using miles as currency. An upgrade award though can be redeposited as long as more then 72 hours from departure and ticket is being cancelled. Can't simply return the upgrade, keep the ticket, and hope for op-up or free unlimited upgrade.

I thought you could cancel an upgrade if there's still inventory in your original coach fare class.

flyerCO Feb 16, 17 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27920318)
I thought you could cancel an upgrade if there's still inventory in your original coach fare class.

I've been told no, and the reasoning makes sense. Otherwise people would fill the cabin with miles upgrades, wait, return the upgrade, and either get free/op-up. Also would mean that seats that could've been sold for $ might not have been.

javabytes Feb 16, 17 9:57 pm

HUCA

Note: Award Tickets and mileage upgrades must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight departure time to redeposit the miles.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/award-travel/award-service-fees.html

Mr. Tickets Feb 17, 17 11:52 am

You can redeposit the miles, but you may have to pay more in air fare if your original class of service in coach is not longer available. (The flights would have to be upfared to the next lowest class of service available. This does have to be done at least 72 hours prior to departure. Change fees may well apply ($200.00 per ticket if you have to up fare). YMMV

javabytes Feb 17, 17 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27920472)
I've been told no, and the reasoning makes sense. Otherwise people would fill the cabin with miles upgrades, wait, return the upgrade, and either get free/op-up. Also would mean that seats that could've been sold for $ might not have been.

There's nothing stopping people from buying refundable tickets doing the exact same thing. That's what they have Revenue Protection Units for.