Wiki Posts
Search

How Do Delta Gift Cards Work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Infrequent Delta flyer here. I don't have a Delta credit card, so I'd like to maximize my earnings as much as I can when I do fly Delta.

At my local supermarket, they have Delta gift cards, but the only denomination is $50. I could earn 3% cash back by purchasing there with a category bonus. I'm looking to book a $865 fare in the F cabin, and was wondering if I'm allowed to apply 17 gift cards as payment for one PNR. Also, do the gift cards only work for the base fare, or will it pay for (non-optional) taxes and fees as well?

I do understand that the GCs take 24-72 hours to activate, and I'm not concerned about the price going up since the fare for this route appears to be quite stable.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:31 pm

It's 3 gc max per reservation unfortunately.

$50 is the only denomination you can find? My local Ralph's had $50, $100, and *I think* a flex spend gc up to $500.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:34 pm

I found out the hard way that you can't use them to purchase seat upgrades.
h4xdaplanet and LF72 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
It's 3 gc max per reservation unfortunately.

$50 is the only denomination you can find? My local Ralph's had $50, $100, and *I think* a flex spend gc up to $500.
I'll look around at other supermarkets then. The one I happen to frequent seems to only have the $50 ones.

May I use the GCs to pay for taxes and airport fees included with the ticket? Or does it only apply to the base fare?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
Not very well. There are all sorts of restrictions. For example, you can only use 3 at a time. Another example is that you can't use them on "special" cases like using a certificate. It's really quite ridiculous, I still have some from 2015.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:58 pm

You can purchase them directly from Delta with a value of anywhere from $50 to $1000 (in $5 increments)

https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPur...D_eGift_Launch
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by omarr
You can purchase them directly from Delta with a value of anywhere from $50 to $1000 (in $5 increments)

https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPur...D_eGift_Launch
That's not going to get OP the cash back he's after.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by diburning
I'll look around at other supermarkets then. The one I happen to frequent seems to only have the $50 ones.

May I use the GCs to pay for taxes and airport fees included with the ticket? Or does it only apply to the base fare?
it works for taxes and fees too. Should work for any add ons also while your booking the initial trip.

per the other members comment, it looks like upgrades after the reservation is complete may not take gc. I have no experience with that.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I already know that upgrades/ancillary fees cannot be paid with the GC. (In my case, it wouldn't matter, since I'd be paying for an A fare)

I did a quick Google search and it seems that open value GCs are only available directly from Delta, while Blackhawk Network (the vendor that provides gift cards for your local supermarket, CVS, etc) only has them in denominations of $50 and $100.

I think I'll forego the GCs at this point and just pay Delta directly.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:16 pm

What about AmEx or Visa gift cards? Usually these can be purchased in any denomination, and as far as Delta's concerned, it's just like any other form of cash payment.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Echoing other posters experiences about these being very hard to use. Each time I've used them I've had to call in to get them to process, and each time I was met by an agent who was grumpy about having to do it. Twice they had such a hard time making it work they just gave me the value without using the actual GC (to this I offered no protest).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:16 am

People end up with $50 gift cards from Amex Platinum cards and the rebate one gets when purchasing them. I have 4 in my pocket and am trying to figure out how to effectively use them. At this point I would just look at it as a $100 off scenario where I buy a ticket with 2 gift cards and the remainder on my CC.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
can $50 eGift Cards be used for taxes on Skymiles award tickets?

Bumping this thread to see if eGift cards purchased from delta.com can be used to pay for taxes for award tickets still in 2017. I couldn't do it on the web site.

I read people had a mixed experience. Why help desk should I ask the agent to call to help him/her process them?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Bumping this thread to see if eGift cards purchased from delta.com can be used to pay for taxes for award tickets still in 2017. I couldn't do it on the web site.

I read people had a mixed experience. Why help desk should I ask the agent to call to help him/her process them?
I just tried to do this over the phone with a Delta rep and was told I could not use the gift card to pay taxes on an award ticket.

If you can use a gift card towards taxes on a cash fare, it doesn't make sense that you can't use it towards taxes on an award ticket. Stupid rule.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The most stackable mass market airline gift cards are, oddly enough, American, for all that their IT system does not otherwise inspire confidence. Their system allows for something like 7 or 8 different payment sources. (Though you can't use them to upgrade to MCE seats either)

I find Delta to have too many restrictions to bother with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.