Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using GUC Air France ticket, Delta Operated

Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium

With the latest AMEX sync offer from Air France, I was thinking of buying a ticket through Air France, but I want to use a GUC. If the flight is Delta operated, I should be able to still apply the GUC no matter what ticket stock it comes on correct? Thanks for any insight on this.

Separately, was going to use AMEX pay with points (I have the Business Plat), I think this would still trigger the AMEX offer since they charge your card and then apply a statement credit later. Any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

REDEMPTIONS ON AIR FRANCE
Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France.
One-way upgrade from Main Cabin when booked in Y, B, or M class to Premium Voyageur Class.
or
One-way upgrade from Premium Voyageur when booked in S or W class to Business Class.
Not valid on AF operated 747 aircraft flights; only valid on flights with the Premium Economy Ca
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vgb2001
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

REDEMPTIONS ON AIR FRANCE
Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France.
One-way upgrade from Main Cabin when booked in Y, B, or M class to Premium Voyageur Class.
or
One-way upgrade from Premium Voyageur when booked in S or W class to Business Class.
Not valid on AF operated 747 aircraft flights; only valid on flights with the Premium Economy Ca
OP is asking about a DL-operated flight ticketed on AF stock, not an AF-operated flight.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303
OP is asking about a DL-operated flight ticketed on AF stock, not an AF-operated flight.
Yes, exactly. I understand what the site says about Air France flights. I'm wondering if anyone has booked through Air France for a Delta operated flight. Specifically, I am looking at BOS-CDG-DUB. The BOS-CDG leg is DL operated and CDG-DUB is AF. I want to use the GUC on the transatlantic leg. I guess I could book it, try and apply the GUC and if it doesn't work cancel within the 24 hour period.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:44 pm

On a related-topic, if I were to book a flight on Air-france.us that is a KL-marketed flight but is operated by Delta, will I earn full MQD and MQM or no?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I've heard of DL rebooking your ticket onto DL flight numbers to use the GUC if you're already on 006 stock. Not sure how easy this will be if you purchase via AF since that results in a 057 ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
Yes, exactly. I understand what the site says about Air France flights. I'm wondering if anyone has booked through Air France for a Delta operated flight. Specifically, I am looking at BOS-CDG-DUB. The BOS-CDG leg is DL operated and CDG-DUB is AF. I want to use the GUC on the transatlantic leg. I guess I could book it, try and apply the GUC and if it doesn't work cancel within the 24 hour period.
Did you try this? With the Amex sync promotion I'm also curious if it will work.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the price difference (compared to buying a ticket from DL, with DL flight number and DL stock) big enough to be worth the uncertainty and hassle?

In some sense, AF is functioning as your travel agent here. I don't know whether DL can touch the ticket before T-24.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
When I was platinum, I was able to get a DL agent to apply a GUC to a KLM coded DL operated flight that was sold on delta stock. The new ticket I got had delta flight numbers. Didn't even mention anything about the Codeshare. She may have bent the rules since I was traveling 2 months later than when my GUC expired, but I was able to instantly confirm.

YMMV since the first agent said no way since it's A KLM codeshare
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I haven't tried it yet. Was hoping for some more DPs. But as mentioned, it may not be worth the hassle. The ticket is $50 cheaper on Air France and the 20k MR are worth $400 to me, so it is a good amount of money.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I very strongly suspect you would not be allowed to use the GUC, though I can't find anything in the T&Cs that clearly prohibits it. If the flight originates in the US I suppose you could buy the ticket and call Delta right away, and if they can't do it, take advantage of the 24-hour cancel policy. (Note that you do have to call Air France to use the 24-hour cancel though, it can't be done online.)
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Deleted--sorry.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 17, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
I haven't tried it yet. Was hoping for some more DPs. But as mentioned, it may not be worth the hassle. The ticket is $50 cheaper on Air France and the 20k MR are worth $400 to me, so it is a good amount of money.
What are DPs and MR?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are DPs and MR?
I assume DPs=Data Points and MR=Membership Rewards points (AMEX).

I figured there'd be more than just one or two data points, but I guess not so far. Interesting.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
I am considering booking a TATL flight to Europe, it is $500 cheaper to book on AF/KL, than to book it on Delta.com. We were planning to use a GUC on the red-eye Delta operated TATL flight. Has anyone had any experience with utilizing a GUC on AF/KL ticket stock?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.