Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you complain re: possible "shena"?

Old Feb 10, 17, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

Wednesday night fleeing LGA. Was #1 all day but about 2 hours out, all the remaining FC seats were gone. I stayed #1 for 0 and was told at the gate FC checked in full. After boarding was done, one empty seat up front. And the app changed to say one open seat (i took a screenshot - 8 minutes after scheduled departure). GA walks one last person onto the plane and points at the seat and says "that's your seat" and then we leave.

I dunno who the last minute guy was. He could have paid a stack of cash for the seat, but it certainly didn't feel like it. Just the way he acted / they interacted it seemed like he was nonrev. Obviously i have no proof either way.

Is this even something worth complaining about to Delta? It's so minor, but I do feel insulted at checkin when nearly every week they offer to sell me an upgrade for ~$200. After maintaining DM status for 7 years I feel like I've paid a different kind of price.

Flame away. WFBF. I'm right there with you. But if I do that, I'm not going to maintain status anywhere. I'll pry just start flying to EWR on UA b/c it's easier to get to the west side from there. Also, there's no way I'm going to stand around the gate waiting for the "you board you lose" nonsense. I do carry a rollaboard and most of the time the GA recognizes when asked if FC is full that they can't pull shenanigans...
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you won't do this:

Originally Posted by azeckel View Post
there's no way I'm going to stand around the gate waiting for the "you board you lose" nonsense
...then you can't complain when you board and you lose.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wednesday night fleeing LGA. Was #1 all day but about 2 hours out, all the remaining FC seats were gone. I stayed #1 for 0 and was told at the gate FC checked in full. After boarding was done, one empty seat up front. And the app changed to say one open seat (i took a screenshot - 8 minutes after scheduled departure). GA walks one last person onto the plane and points at the seat and says "that's your seat" and then we leave.

I dunno who the last minute guy was. He could have paid a stack of cash for the seat, but it certainly didn't feel like it. Just the way he acted / they interacted it seemed like he was nonrev. Obviously i have no proof either way.

Is this even something worth complaining about to Delta? It's so minor, but I do feel insulted at checkin when nearly every week they offer to sell me an upgrade for ~$200. After maintaining DM status for 7 years I feel like I've paid a different kind of price.

Flame away. WFBF. I'm right there with you. But if I do that, I'm not going to maintain status anywhere. I'll pry just start flying to EWR on UA b/c it's easier to get to the west side from there. Also, there's no way I'm going to stand around the gate waiting for the "you board you lose" nonsense. I do carry a rollaboard and most of the time the GA recognizes when asked if FC is full that they can't pull shenanigans...
The key question is whether FC has BOARDED full, not whether it has checked in full. However, when you ask the first question, many GAs will answer the second.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Some here will tell you that all possible shenanigans should be reported to ensure a fair system. I personally would let it go. I know it's frustrating to see someone else get the upgrade when you're first on the list, but generally you should expect that you're going to be foregoing any upgrades by boarding.

I know that about a year ago Delta gave guidance to Gate Agents that boarding shouldn't automatically forfeit upgrades if an on-time departure isn't at-risk, but that's subjective given all of the responsibilities a gate agent has to juggle.

Last minute revenue passenger or non-rev, the gate agent most likely didn't have malicious intent and was just trying to get the flight out on time.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
Some here will tell you that all possible shenanigans should be reported to ensure a fair system. I personally would let it go. I know it's frustrating to see someone else get the upgrade when you're first on the list, but generally you should expect that you're going to be foregoing any upgrades by boarding.

I know that about a year ago Delta gave guidance to Gate Agents that boarding shouldn't automatically forfeit upgrades if an on-time departure isn't at-risk, but that's subjective given all of the responsibilities a gate agent has to juggle.

Last minute revenue passenger or non-rev, the gate agent most likely didn't have malicious intent and was just trying to get the flight out on time.
Delta gives gate agents discretion on this. If OP boarded, it cannot, by definition, be shenanigans.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
THIS: . . . .

Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
Last minute revenue passenger
. . . . . Is what I was thinking when I read the story. More likely SDC from another flight booked in paid / award F.
Old Feb 10, 17, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
THIS: . . . .

. . . . . Is what I was thinking when I read the story. More likely SDC from another flight booked in paid / award F.
It could even be a coach passenger who was told to run to make the flight because there other flight was cancelled. At point of making it, everyone was boarded and only open seat was in FC. (Of course this assumes Y was full)

I got my first ever op-up when I was 14 this way. I was enroute to DCA and my flight got cancelled. They told me to run to X gate and point out my flight just got cancelled. Agent looked down typed a bit and said it's your lucky day.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or more than likely an UG further down the list behind OP at the time OP boarded, but who was #1 at the time the seat became available because those above him, including OP, had boarded.

Unless OP specifically asked the GA whether, if he boarded, the GA would come find him, he was SOL and this was far from shenanigans. Not worth the bandwidth to kvetch to DL.
Old Feb 10, 17, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I'll pry just start flying to EWR on UA b/c it's easier to get to the west side from there.
Then why book with DL if EWR on UA is a better airport for your trip?

DL (like other airlines) relies on your inertia in sticking with them even though better options may be available to you.

Every flight I book is based on what works for me - price or schedule wise - not because I'll get miles or earn status.
Old Feb 10, 17, 9:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Every flight I book is based on what works for me - price or schedule wise - -
not because I'll get miles or earn status.
You could be BANNED from FlyerTalk for talking nonsense like this!!!

Old Feb 11, 17, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
...there's no way I'm going to stand around the gate waiting for the "you board you lose" nonsense. I do carry a rollaboard and most of the time the GA recognizes when asked if FC is full that they can't pull shenanigans...
You know it is at GA discretion to pull or not to pull. We all do. We even know it is official. So there is NO shena - YOU just choose to give up your upgrade shot by boarding.

Side point - do we need yet one more thread on #TeamBoardLast for the win?
Old Feb 11, 17, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
You could be BANNED from FlyerTalk for talking nonsense like this!!!

I know but I'm a bit of a rebel

But I do collect miles and points etc. I just don't let it drive my choices. They are a bonus not an essential.

Besides OP can still collect miles and points just in the other airlines programme!
Old Feb 11, 17, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I know but I'm a bit of a rebel

But I do collect miles and points etc. I just don't let it drive my choices. They are a bonus not an essential.

Besides OP can still collect miles and points just in the other airlines programme!
also, among FTers, apparently a rare early adopter of rational thinking vi's-a-vis the concept of loyalty to (or perceived loyalty from) an airline/alliance

but that said, ^ to davetravels for being quick on the draw
Old Feb 11, 17, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM
After maintaining DM status for 7 years I feel like I've paid a different kind of price.
Unfortunately for you, it is still the same kind of money that is needed to pay staff salaries, aircraft maintenance, gate leases, fuel, catering, etc., etc., etc.
Old Feb 11, 17, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
If you won't do this:

...then you can't complain when you board and you lose.
If only that "rule" had any rhyme or reason to it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: