Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Priority boarding with the Amex card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold

So we are set to fly out tomorrow and i go to check us in and my boarding pass says zone 1 as it should and my partners says zone 3. I was under the impression that he would be priority boarding as well since we are traveling together.

So I call delta just not and I have them do the call back, almost 2 hours and the agent tells me that his boarding pass is fine that when its time to board that he should just walk up with me and board with me and tell them he is with me and what not.

How does this make any sense?? Is this how it works?? I am on hold again to try to talk to another agent because this seems so backwards to me I don't get it.

I asked for another callback so here I am waiting.

is this how it works? or do i need to fix his boarding pass?

ETA: Obviously I am a Delta rookie, got the card a few months back and taking our first delta flight so forgive me for my ignorance.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Ok so spoke to second person and she was a bit clearer in her instructions.

Apparently in the scenario that we are on different bookings due to I had credit and he I had to pay in full for, the agent did two separate reservations and therefore it doesn't apply the boarding automatically, so the gate agent prior to boarding will look up the ticket and issue him a new boarding pass with the boarding zone corrected to 1 prior to boarding.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by miadukes
Ok so spoke to second person and she was a bit clearer in her instructions.

Apparently in the scenario that we are on different bookings due to I had credit and he I had to pay in full for, the agent did two separate reservations and therefore it doesn't apply the boarding automatically, so the gate agent prior to boarding will look up the ticket and issue him a new boarding pass with the boarding zone corrected to 1 prior to boarding.
The first agent was correct in practical terms. Just have your zone 3 companion board with you when you board in zone 1. Completely normal on DL.

There is no way a gate agent will be able to tell the computer what arbitrary zone number to print on a boarding pass. Ain't happening, sorry.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If this is your first time boarding in zone 1 you should be aware that zone 1 does not actually board first. Your boarding zone will be preceded by:

*Pre-boarding - Passengers needing extra time and families with kids <2 and car seats
*Premium - First class/Delta One and Diamond Medallion members
*Sky - Platinum and Gold Medallions, Comfort+, higher elites on partner airlines
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:49 pm

The gate agent won't do anything special. Gate agents can't change boarding zones. It's literally impossible. Just tell the gate agent your companion is with you and it'll be okay. As many can tell you, gate agents almost never enforce proper zones, anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
And psst, don't tell anyone, but this usually works as well if you have SKY boarding or another assigned group that gets to go early. Gate agents tend to not want to police it too much.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
The first agent was correct in practical terms. Just have your zone 3 companion board with you when you board in zone 1. Completely normal on DL.

There is no way a gate agent will be able to tell the computer what arbitrary zone number to print on a boarding pass. Ain't happening, sorry.
I guess practically speaking tht does make sense and like others say I am aware most people don't enforce this (except norweigian lol) but I didnt want this time to be the first time they decided too. But ok I will do just that then.

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If this is your first time boarding in zone 1 you should be aware that zone 1 does not actually board first. Your boarding zone will be preceded by:

*Pre-boarding - Passengers needing extra time and families with kids <2 and car seats
*Premium - First class/Delta One and Diamond Medallion members
*Sky - Platinum and Gold Medallions, Comfort+, higher elites on partner airlines
HAHAH yes yes thanks I am aware that i am not first to board I will make sure to stay seated until called LOL
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Not much difference between zones 1 and 3 anyway
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Not much difference between zones 1 and 3 anyway
LMAO. Unless you're boarding in zone 2 or 3 with a rollaboard.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, it does make a difference with the load factors nowadays. Always full flights and people bringing half their belongings on board.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Widgets
The gate agent won't do anything special. Gate agents can't change boarding zones. It's literally impossible. Just tell the gate agent your companion is with you and it'll be okay. As many can tell you, gate agents almost never enforce proper zones, anyway.
I had one once take a pen and scribble out the printed one and wrote 1st or Prem or something. I was on an FC ticket and it didn't print Prem as the zone.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Have BOTH boarding passes in YOUR HAND vs having the other person hand them a zone 3 boarding pass. Eliminates having the explanatory discussion which the agent may not even hear. (similar to spousal selective hearing condition)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Have BOTH boarding passes in YOUR HAND vs having the other person hand them a zone 3 boarding pass. Eliminates having the explanatory discussion which the agent may not even hear. (similar to spousal selective hearing condition)
Not on Delta, but another airline's gate agent once announced (very rudely) at O'Hare before boarding that everybody must hold their own boarding passes.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Everything worked out fine. WE had mobile boarding passes and once you click and enlarge the square it eliminates what boarding zone you are in so he boarded with me with zero problems. And I do think boarding zone one makes a difference, I like to get on the plane and just be on plus have room for my carryon. We had zero problems and actually, I have to admit the middle seat wasn't too bad. (I gave way for him to have an aisle since he is tall). Overall have to say it was a very nice flight and the tv screen loaded with stuff was nice as well.

Thanks all for your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.