Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUC with Pay with Miles question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

RUC with Pay with Miles question

Has anyone combined a pay with miles ticket (i.e. using 20,000 miles to knock $200 off the price) with a RUC? Or is this prohibited? Want to make sure I can combine before I book my flight. Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by azdmelani
Has anyone combined a pay with miles ticket (i.e. using 20,000 miles to knock $200 off the price) with a RUC? Or is this prohibited? Want to make sure I can combine before I book my flight. Thanks!
I don't believe you can do that. The PWM portion is treated as an award in terms of earnings and in fact a certificate is issued for the mileage redemption portion.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Per T & C's

Not Combinable: This certificate may not be combined with any other promotional or discount offers or SkyMiles program awards. Valid only with a published qualifying fare, including corporate fares beginning with the letter `X`, `C` or `A`.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Worth the extra $$ for the RUC usage from JFK-SFO. Seems like Im cleared for JFK-SFO but waitlisted from SFO-JFK. Delta One here I come
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I found out the hard way a year or so ago when I tried to use an RUC on a flight where I did exactly what you suggested -- knocked $200 of the price with PWM.

The language in the T&Cs say Medallion Upgrades are allowed but no other upgrades can be done (RUC, GUC, miles, etc.)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Did this change? Can we now use a RUC on a ticket purchased partially or fully with PWM?

From https://www.delta.com/en_US/skymiles...pay-with-miles under Restrictions:

Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are eligible for Global or Regional Upgrade Certificates but not eligible for mileage upgrades.

Seems obvious to me but everything I've searched on FT seems to indicate the opposite.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Did this change? Can we now use a RUC on a ticket purchased partially or fully with PWM?

Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are eligible for Global or Regional Upgrade Certificates but not eligible for mileage upgrades.

Seems obvious to me but everything I've searched on FT seems to indicate the opposite.
I don't know if rules were followed or not, but I twice had RUC's applied to PWM tickets last year.
JayTeaBee likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:41 pm

And I have frequently been complimentary upgraded (no RUC) with PWM tickets.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I was recently refused use of an RUC with a partial PWM ticket. Fortunately I was within the 24-hour cancellation period, so I cancelled the ticket and started all over again. It was the last chance to use the RUC before its expiration date.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee

Here’s what it says in the T&C for RUCs, incontradiction of the T&Cs for Pay with Miles:

The certificate is not combinable with any other ticket designator programs or special status fares such as: Government, military, no-value, VUSA, round-the-world, agency/industry discount, group, senior, student, infant, child, SkyMiles award tickets, Miles + Cash, Pay with Miles, coupon, certificate or any other fares/tickets which may later be specified by DL with or without notice.

I wish I’d seen the first statement before I accepted the second one.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Here’s what it says in the T&C for RUCs, incontradiction of the T&Cs for Pay with Miles:

The certificate is not combinable with any other ticket designator programs or special status fares such as: Government, military, no-value, VUSA, round-the-world, agency/industry discount, group, senior, student, infant, child, SkyMiles award tickets, Miles + Cash, Pay with Miles, coupon, certificate or any other fares/tickets which may later be specified by DL with or without notice.

I wish I’d seen the first statement before I accepted the second one.
However a few lines below that it explicitly says RUCs can be used with M+C and PWM. I posted the link in another thread but amam on my phone right now so can't easily find it.

Whoever edited the T&Cs did a horrible job of it, but as of right now RUCs *can* be used on PWM tickets.

ETA: See #7 Applicable Fare Classes in the RUC terms on this page https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-upgrades.html/#certificate
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:46 am

Wow, thanks a ton gooselee. I'm highly concerned with reports like CarmenOM made above but based on all the T&C's it should be possible. Other FT searches I did indicate issues like CarmenOM reported. Delta sure does make us work for these "benefits"
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Whoever edited the T&Cs did a horrible job of it, but as of right now RUCs *can* be used on PWM tickets.
Quick update,the above is accurate. I successfully applied/cleared/waitlisted RUC's for myself & a companion on various segments for a Main Cabin tickets I used PWM to help with. She had to get some help to force it through, but they got it done.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: DL DM, reformed UA 1K
I used a GUC on a pay with miles last year. Worked fine though the ticket had to be manually reissued.
JayTeaBee likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I used GUCs on a PWM ticket JFK to FCO.
JayTeaBee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.