FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1820371-never-seen-empty-seat-first-class.html)

azeckel Feb 11, 2017 9:14 am

Somewhere, someone is going to use this type of story as an excuse to be #25 on the list and then wait until the very last second to board and complain to the GA when they don't get the upgrade from a no-show. Stupid rule. Talk about "gaming" a dumb system.

knit-in Feb 11, 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by finny52 (Post 27895217)
Yesterday PEK-DTW the first section of D1 had at least 5 open seats. I was shocked given that it was a Friday. I've been on the GUC waitlist behind 8 or 9 people before...

Empty seats on International D1 isn't quite that rare since there aren't any complimentary medallion upgrades on flights across oceans.

KDCAflyer Feb 11, 2017 10:26 am

Another idea would be to add a feature to the app that would simply show the elite's numerical place on the upgrade list (like a tab that displays the corresponding number). If the door is going to close with an empty seat in FC, simply show the FA that you're #1, and move up. If there's more than one seat, #2, then #3, etc.

The upgrade list that is shown on the app currently doesn't really provide enough info for FAs.

I still think that providing FAs with access to the upgrade list would be the best option. Either move people up just before push, or if in a rush when the plane hits 10K feet. DL's GAs simply cannot be trusted to get this right. A FC cabin should NEVER have empty seats if there are still elites on the list. Period.

yohanson Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

My ATL-MSP flight went out with 4 empty seats in F last night.

KevinDTW Feb 11, 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27895661)
A FC cabin should NEVER have empty seats if there are still elites on the list. Period.

^

pogopossum Feb 11, 2017 4:44 pm

In flying NW and DL for the past twenty years I have seen it a few times, usually on off times and slow routes. As only a Gold, if I get upgraded and there are STILL seats available it's definitely not a full flight. :)

PP

hnewman Feb 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Every time I have been ATL GGT there are open seats. I go the Wednesday after Mother's day yearly.

yohanson Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson (Post 27895704)

I should note that earlier in the day, there were 10 open seats in F and a couple that just barely made it on board due to issues with Border Protection coming back from Costa Rica said that another couple didn't make it on even though they got to the gate just as the door closed (they were also chatting with others in the F cabin that they appeared to be traveling with/knew).

Earlier in the day when there were the 10 open seats and I was number 2 on the list, there were 22 others on that same list. It sounded like at least half that didn't make it on that flight were in paid F according to the conversation I had with the guy coming back from Costa Rica. I'm not sure if that is what caused so many empty seats.

rekoil Feb 12, 2017 1:56 pm

My IAD-DTW leg last week would have had an empty F seat if I hadn't noticed on the app that it was open - I was first on the priority list, and at gate there were no F seats showing, but after I boarded the list showed one available (I'm assuming a no-show or last-minute cancellation?). I showed it to the FA, who got on the intercom with (presumably) the GA, and then moved me up.

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 (Post 27879077)
I fly weekly for my job and am lucky enough to be upgraded a good portion of my trips. Today from LAX to MSP, there was an empty seat next to me in First for the entire flight. 757, flight left LAX around 1:15 PM in the afternoon.

I got upgraded at the gate around 30 min prior to boarding. I was #1 on the list of about 25.

The FA was just as surprised as i was. She said that she had seen the list too and that she also had several non revs on board. No one ever sat in the seat. It was seat 6C. Empty seats in first are kind of pointless. You can only stretch out so much! I felt bad for whoever was on the upgrade list behind me.

To the best of my recollection: I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?

huskerchad Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Looks like OMA-ATL is going to go out with about 5 empty, unless there are nonrevs. Six seats open and only one on the list.

MSPeconomist Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson (Post 27895704)

I hope you observed this from a nice FC seat.

yohanson Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27900313)
I hope you observed this from a nice FC seat.

I was in 3C and 3D was empty.

DCAproducer Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

DCA-CVG last Thursday morning we left with (4) empty F seats on a CR9.
C+ had three people. Rest of Y was more full.

CVG-STL leg we had one empty F seat next to me.

Saturday AM STL-ATL gate agent put pilots in four F seats to fill up the cabin. C+ was about half full. 717 ac.

I see it from time to time. It just depends on the route and day of the week.

CMK10 Feb 19, 2017 7:45 am

I've stuck around on some super delayed flights where most other people bailed to other flights and been able to enjoy an empty F cabin.

Also, last year I was flying ATL-FLL with an upgrade list of at least 30 and three people no showed for F. The gate agents made a half hearted attempt to pull people up but the first two they tried were happy in Y so they gave up and we left with three empties in F. I really don't like when that happens.

den1k Jul 2, 2018 12:55 pm

I was on a flight from LAX to MSY and there was 4 empty seats in first. No one left on the upgrade list, and no no revs. There was several empty seats in comfort plus. Hadn’t seen this in several years