Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

Old Feb 8, 17, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I was surprised to find myself the only one a in first a few weeks ago on CMH-LGA at 7:18 am on a Friday. It was on an E170, and the overall load was incredibly light, I actually thought everyone might have boarded already given how empty the gate was. I was surprised that any flight to the NYC area wouldn't have at least a few medallions on it.
Old Feb 8, 17, 4:27 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
If everyone had already boarded before they realized this person was a no show in F, then technically it's up to the FA on board to move someone up, but certainly not a guarantee. There were still 15 upgrades on the list, so in the least, one of them should've been allowed to move up, especially on that lengthy of a flight.

If you're the last on the upgrade list and sit around the gate house until everyone is on board and there happens to be a no show in F, you'll get the seat. Otherwise, it's a toss up if the FA does anything about it.
From everything we have heard, FA's are not supposed to move people up and it is the job of the GA's. Unless something has changed recently, I doubt this is the protocol.
Old Feb 8, 17, 4:52 pm

I have to say, as a non-American, just the title of this thread makes me laugh!
Old Feb 8, 17, 5:15 pm

LAX-BOS redeye is the last flight with empty F seats which comes to mind. That was between 3 and 5 months ago or so.
Old Feb 8, 17, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I see empties in F on Delta Connection flights through the NW fairly often. Had one empty on MSP-BOS last week. Not exactly common, but not a "never" experience either.
Old Feb 8, 17, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sdix View Post
Maybe the seat was broken?
Dont think so. The FA would have known that i assume and she was just as surprised as I was that it was empty. It was all set with the pillow and blanket and water.
Old Feb 8, 17, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
SEA JFK

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?
I've seen it on second SEA-JFK redeye last May, where there were three seats open in F. First SEA-JFK had about 20+deep upgrade waitlists, operating as 757 with 0 remaining, while Second SEA-JFK had cleared all upgrade waitlists with seats to spare, operating as 737. I think it was second day of operating the second flight. Luckily, I was on the lesser known second flight.

Jiburi
Old Feb 9, 17, 5:32 am

Be aware that it's possible for seats to be blocked and not useable for CG issues on a flight. Usually the CG is outside the fwd limit and they need to shift people back. The new Economy class has caused more issues with this then in the past as it causes passengers to be seated more in the front of coach rather then distributed equally. Delta does try and avoid it by how they load baggage and will use sandbags if on hand and time permits.
Old Feb 9, 17, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Sounds like another lovely LAX GA not doing their job.

This exactly...
Old Feb 9, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, SPG Plat, National EC Exec
DL 5701 now SEA-DEN, 76 seats, 52 souls, 6 empty in F.
Old Feb 9, 17, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I was on a noon Sunday ORD-JFK a couple of weeks ago. The FA was thanking everybody for their status. No Diamonds, 3 Plats, no Golds, 6 Silvers, a commuting nonrev pilot, 2 empty seats.

I'm a big fan of the CR9 single side seat, so I tend to book those flights whenever the price is the same as the upgrades have high probability for Plats.
Old Feb 9, 17, 2:19 pm

Sitting next to an empty first class seat as I post, DCA-RDU. Doors just shut. It's showing open on the seat map now, but was showing booked 10 min ago. Must have been a late cancel or no show. 12 people on the upgrade list though.
Old Feb 9, 17, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
If everyone had already boarded before they realized this person was a no show in F, then technically it's up to the FA on board to move someone up, but certainly not a guarantee. There were still 15 upgrades on the list, so in the least, one of them should've been allowed to move up, especially on that lengthy of a flight.

If you're the last on the upgrade list and sit around the gate house until everyone is on board and there happens to be a no show in F, you'll get the seat. Otherwise, it's a toss up if the FA does anything about it.
AFAIK FAs aren't supposed to upgrade passengers unless the GA tells them to do so; FAs have no way of seeing the upgrade list. OTOH, FAs can and do move up nonresident passengers if there are empty premium seats.
Old Feb 10, 17, 6:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
SEA-SFO often has empty seats in F. Not too uncommon.
Old Feb 11, 17, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Yesterday PEK-DTW the first section of D1 had at least 5 open seats. I was shocked given that it was a Friday. I've been on the GUC waitlist behind 8 or 9 people before...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: