Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northeast Weather Waiver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Northeast Weather Waiver

Just got a text message alert about this when it corresponded with a flight of mine, which is new to me. Waiver is for 2/9, must fly by 2/12:

Albany, NY (ALB)
Allentown, PA (ABE)
Bangor, ME (BGR)
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Binghamton, NY (BGM)
Boston, MA (BOS)
Dulles, DC (IAD)
Elmira, NY(ELM)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
Ithaca, NY (ITH)
Manchester, NH (MHT)
Newburgh, NY (SWF)
New York, NY (JFK, John F Kennedy)
New York, NY (LGA, LaGuardia)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
Portland, ME (PWM)
Providence, RI (PVD)
Scranton, PA (AVP)
State College, PA (SCE)
Washington Reagan, DC (DCA)
White Plains, NY (HPN)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:16 pm

Just got the same for a thursday flight through LGA to FLL. The waiver seems worthless, because every other potential routing using the change button gives a massive fare increase. No change fee, but they still want $500+ for the fare increase. Same destination, same day, just going through atl or msp.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by devans999
Just got the same for a thursday flight through LGA to FLL. The waiver seems worthless, because every other potential routing using the change button gives a massive fare increase. No change fee, but they still want $500+ for the fare increase. Same destination, same day, just going through atl or msp.
Known issue with most weather waivers. You will need to pick up a phone and call in, however, if you can find a valid connection that avoids LGA, be it DTW/ATL/MSP, they will switch you for no fare increase or change fee, assuming the dates you rebook for are covered in the waiver.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:20 pm

Yep, I was able to get it rebooked no-cost through @delta on twitter with no issues. 6 extra hours of more sun and less winter thanks to the snow!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by devans999
If you want even exchange for a higher fare, call.

However, I am subject to this waiver as well, did the online booking and it showed a credit. When I called (I don't trust the online system, plus my passenger info didn't seem to carry over), they were going to even exchange until I mentioned that it showed a credit online.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I was booked for DEN-LGA-SYR, with a connection that was already a little tight for comfort. I was able to rebook online for free to DEN-DTW-SYR.

Downside is I now have a 6am departure but I think that'll be worth it.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum
Waiver was extended to include 2/10. Same 2/12 must fly deadline as before.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:30 pm

I am booked LGA-DTW-LAX for 2/10 at 9:10A departure. While the weather should be fine at that time, am obviously worried that the equipment won't get to LGA for that flight. Wedding rehearsal Friday night, wedding Saturday morning. I live near ALB. Was considering rebook via SYR but they are also expecting a substantial lake effect snow. Any thoughts on a game plan? I expect to be in NYC tomorrow night -- is it of value to be at LGA as soon as the Delta terminal opens on Friday morning?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dougbroda
I am booked LGA-DTW-LAX for 2/10 at 9:10A departure. While the weather should be fine at that time, am obviously worried that the equipment won't get to LGA for that flight. Wedding rehearsal Friday night, wedding Saturday morning. I live near ALB. Was considering rebook via SYR but they are also expecting a substantial lake effect snow. Any thoughts on a game plan? I expect to be in NYC tomorrow night -- is it of value to be at LGA as soon as the Delta terminal opens on Friday morning?
see if they'll let you switch your flight to a nonstop out of JFK ... those jets will be coming in from Europe or South America or LA/SF
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the idea -- but all those flights are full.

Originally Posted by jrl767
see if they'll let you switch your flight to a nonstop out of JFK ... those jets will be coming in from Europe or South America or LA/SF
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Diamond Hilton Honors
I noticed lots of airlines (UA, SW & AA) have cancelled flights on Thurs in and out of BOS. I wonder if Delta will do so.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvDisney
I noticed lots of airlines (UA, SW & AA) have cancelled flights on Thurs in and out of BOS. I wonder if Delta will do so.
I think DL must cancel later than those other carriers; they seem to have nothing canceled for tomorrow into NYC yet as far as I can see, and NYC is supposed to get snow before BOS. AA, in contrast, seems to have canceled most scheduled to arrive NYC before late afternoon, and B6 has cancellations into tomorrow evening.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Diamond Hilton Honors
Sounds like they are just trying to figure it all out. Can't imagine there won't be a bunch of cancellations.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Thanks for the idea -- but all those flights are full.
I think DL must cancel later than those other carriers; they seem to have nothing canceled for tomorrow into NYC yet as far as I can see, and NYC is supposed to get snow before BOS. AA, in contrast, seems to have canceled most scheduled to arrive NYC before late afternoon, and B6 has cancellations into tomorrow evening.
What's your goal? Is your weekend event "optional"? If it is not "optional", get on the next flight out of NY.

Last edited by mnbp; Feb 8, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
What's your goal? Is your weekend event "optional"? If it is not "optional", get on the next flight out of NY.
Problem is neither is an option. I absolutely can't leave work (about 120 miles north of LGA) until 4 pm Thursday, and the event isn't optional (though at least missing it won't put me in contempt of court like leaving work early would). So it looks like my best bad option is to mush to LGA Thursday and juggle best I can onsite, if need be. Only good news is hotel already booked for Thursday night right near LGA. Fingers duly crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.