Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

If I know I'm flying Delta does Kayak or other help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps

I recently became a Delta SkyMiles member then went all-in with a SkyMiles Platinum CC and SkyMiles Dining. Yea me!

In past travels, all personal, I would use Kayak to show me flights of the few airlines it represents. My question now is, if I am looking to fly Delta then do I need Kayak or other similar site to check flights? Or just go to Delta.com?

I do like the alerts of Kayak but have also read that "the machine" learns my behavior and isn't actually working for me the consumer but the evil profit making corporations.

Help!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Domestic flights? Probably not. International Flights? IME, Skyscanner is easier to use and offers flights on KLM/AF and some other airlines that may still give me full SMs credit or show me alternatives that are so much less expensive that SMs won't matter. Example: Recently for March 1 you could purchase ORD-BKK Biz r/t on China Eastern for less than you could purchase coach on DL.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Personally, I think it is always a good idea to look a few places to make sure I am getting the best route/schedule for the price I want. I think ITA Matrix may even show some options that do not show up on delta.com.

There was a recent thread somewhere how companies "learn" your behavior, and even delta.com will do some "evil profit maximizing" once in a while.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
If you are flying a single segment and know you're only interested in flying non-stop, for example DTW-TPA, then also checking other sites isn't likely to be too helpful. If however you are flying a route with lots of competition and many possible routings then sometimes other sites will provide additional options. Also if you don't know what the typical fares are for a route it's always a good idea to check some other dates or another airline.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I got a result on Google Flights that showed an itinerary that was available on Delta.com for $1500/pp in coach, but said that if I booked through a travel agent it would be $880/pp.

Called Delta Diamond line to see what was up and the agent couldn't find the lower fare until I gave him the exact flight numbers and fare classes, then he was able to book it.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I suggest one should always use sites like Kayak, ITA Matrix, etc. to price airfare, but book directly with the airline if possible.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Here's what I did earlier today. I priced this flight SFO>ATL (DL B739ER)>LHR (VS A333)>SFO (VS B789) on DL.com for $1,091. I then checked Kayak and the same flights on the same day priced at $477, which I obviously booked. Prior to booking I called the DM line to ask for their advice on whether DL.com was incorrect, but they confirmed the pricing. The agent told me that Kayak buys a lot of bulk tickets, and perhaps they needed to unload a few at prices far below what DL.com was charging! Thoughts anyone?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I did not think that Kayak purchased any tickets, I thought they only function as a travel agent, but I could be wrong.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I did not think that Kayak purchased any tickets, I thought they only function as a travel agent, but I could be wrong.
Correct, Kayak is just a fare search engine -- nothing more. Could have likely been different marketing carriers which can produce different prices. delta.com will only show DL marketed flights when you do a search. Without further details, it's impossible to say.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
Correct, Kayak is just a fare search engine -- nothing more. Could have likely been different marketing carriers which can produce different prices. delta.com will only show DL marketed flights when you do a search. Without further details, it's impossible to say.
Apologies for not elaborating further. The purchase was made through Priceline.com and the two VS flights are code-shared with DL. But I wasn't going to disagree with the DM agent's comment about Kayak buying bulk tickets, though I knew that to be false of course, as they are just a fare search engine!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by javabytes
I suggest one should always use sites like Kayak, ITA Matrix, etc. to price airfare, but book directly with the airline if possible.
I'd normally agree with the book with airline option, but with the sites offering cash back referrals, I'd certainly consider that in the mix.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
And I don't 100% trust delta.com -- no real evidence but too many stories of differential pricing and other games. Yes, maybe I just happen to search just after the last seat at the that price was sold but it happens enough to make me put on my tinfoil hat

So I search elsewhere and buy the ticket on delta.com
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
And I don't 100% trust delta.com -- no real evidence but too many stories of differential pricing and other games. Yes, maybe I just happen to search just after the last seat at the that price was sold but it happens enough to make me put on my tinfoil hat

So I search elsewhere and buy the ticket on delta.com
I think Delta has proven themselves to be untrustworthy for displaying the lowest prices of their own flights.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:08 am

One thing though... booking through Delta (if price is the same) gets me additional stuff like SPG crossover rewards. I will miss this when SPG is fully merged into Marriott.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
This is exactly what I do. I haven't personally had the experience of DL.com pricing any differently than what Google Flights shows me, but then most of my flying is simple US domestic.

Where I do find a lot of benefit is on Kayak's "Hacker Fare" results which can guide you to situations where booking two one way tickets is cheaper than the corresponding round trip - or different airlines for each direction of a trip. (Of course you then have two separate tickets in the event of any needed changes/cancellations, so just be aware of what that means.)

However, while I'll choose DL when all else is even, and even pay a small premium for a nonstop on DL (ATL based), it seems that I've been seeing UA and AA a lot more, lately. Most recently, DL wanted to charge me more than double for a last minute RT ATL-BDL. AA offered me a 1-stop for $500 less with comparable times. I could actually have flown AA in first for less than DL in coach. UA often produces similar savings for their nonstops to IAD with schedules within minutes of DL. I can't really justify that big of a difference in fare just to fly the widget...perhaps others can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.