Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles - JFK to SIN on China Eastern or Southern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

Hi all,

I found what seems to be a great deal 160,000 miles + $260 from JFK to SIN on either China Eastern or Southern. That route on DL is wayyyyy more miles. Which is better Eastern or Southern?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Hi all,

I found what seems to be a great deal 160,000 miles + $260 from JFK to SIN on either China Eastern or Southern. That route on DL is wayyyyy more miles. Which is better Eastern or Southern?
Obviously hard product depends on aircraft type, but from (limited) personal experience service-wise CZ is better than MU.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL,US
I find the service better on CZ, and certainly think PVG worth avoiding (CAN is a superior transit point).

That said, MU has the really nice reverse herringbone seats. CZs 77W has nice lay flats but I don't find them quite as comfortable. For me personally though, it's best to avoid PVG.

I would carefully check the equipment you'll be on and decide based on that.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Although uncommon in the Delta forum, a search will yield a plethora of FT threads on this subject:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-eastern.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...ess-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-eastern.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...n-j-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...delta-one.html
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
also, is 160k such a good deal that I need to book right away? Or is it going to be around for a while?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
also, is 160k such a good deal that I need to book right away? Or is it going to be around for a while?
It's the only rate you'll see. Partners can only be booked at the saver level. Only DL metal can be booked at higher awards.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
The only thing I would say in favor of MU vs CZ is that the seat on the PVG-SIN segment will likely be lie flat vs a standard domestic first seat CAN-SIN.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

I've found 120K RT from JFK-SIN in J on Korean Air, much better choice than either China airline. Travel dates?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KeepItReal
I've found 120K RT from JFK-SIN in J on Korean Air, much better choice than either China airline. Travel dates?
this must have been during a sale. 160k is the "low" award amount.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I agree with the preference, but I wonder how 120k is possible. Delta raised "low" from 140k to 160k for Asia travel at least several months ago. It was previously raised from 120k to 140k a few years ago. As per suvayanr above, a sale is possible, but they are uncommon and limited to a few routes.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Anytime after May 1, if you can find me J on Korean Air (on 747) - I will forever love you!!!!

looking at spending 6 nights there - god bless you kind sir!!!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:38 pm

I booked a J reward on MU for 160k this summer (JFK-TYO,HKG-JFK). Was having some doubts after reading a few bad reviews (i.e. smoking in cabin and poor food options) however the 777 hard product (1-2-1 reverse herringbone) looks to be among the best options anywhere. The Korean option while the same price had pretty uncomfortable looking 2-2-2 configurations.

All I really care about is getting a comfortable and private window seat, and I think MU wins there. If the choice is between MU and CZ, I'd go with CZ because they have a similar hard product and a better soft product.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
There's a fairly sizable opinion (though not necessarily consensus) that the Chinese carriers offer generally inferior soft product, and that transiting China is a PITA, in particular if anything goes wrong. ie: There's a reason it's easy to find low availability on these carriers, and in fact their cash J prices are usually a couple of thousand dollars less than the competition.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Was this booked using Skymiles? Also are you sure you're in J the whole trip? 120 seems like a J one-way and Y one-way award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.