Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting change fees waived?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Psyduck1
Has anyone tried getting change fees waived because you need to book a different trip during that same time?

I would imagine DL might be more flexible in that situation.
yes, I had a weekend vacation in western canada planned, and had to go on a business trip after booking the vacation and DL waived the change fee on the vacation. To thank them (and this is a month later so they wouldn't have known at the time) - i booked my vacation in F to basically give Delta back the money they saved me with SDC (and more!). Initially vacation to to western canada was booked in Econ and upgraded both ways.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
When did Delta increase the change fee to $300??? I thought it was $200 for domestic.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
When did Delta increase the change fee to $300??? I thought it was $200 for domestic.
Still is $200. Perhaps the OP was mistaken, e.g., thought the standard change fee was $300, or assumed that 'international' flights to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean had a higher change fee (they do not, except possibly if operated by a partner carrier).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
General member here. Spouse needs to get appendix removed. Flight was booked for departure 3 days from now (family of 4). Unlikely to use ticket anytime soon as school starting soon afterwards. Any way to covert them to use them in future without change fee?

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Call and explain the situation. DL phone agents are empowered and often really good about waiving the change fee for medical and other situations -- you may end up with a credit to be used within 1 year of the original flight date. With a notation to waive the change fee when it is used.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Agree with mot29 that calling should probably get a free change. Might be good to have a doctor's contact info if need be.

For a very long answer:

The "punitive" change fees are really part of the overall price discrimination against business flyers. The legacies know businesses will pay more for flexibility, so smack them.

But there is no way to simply check a box that asks "Are you flying on your companies money" when you book. So these large change fees also hit "family" flyers, though not the intent.

That is why they are very reasonable about working with somebody to get a free change IF they believe it is some legit personal issue, and not that the conference meeting was moved or such.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Two questions re award changes. 1) A few days ago I booked 5x J awards from ATL-NRT for next summer. I'd like to move the departure 1 day. The flight is still available for same amount of SM. Given how far out this is and how close I am to having booked, is it possible I won't have to pay change fee? For $150 fee on awards, that'd be $750. Sigh.

2). About to book KIX-DPS with SM on GA partner award. Want 2x J but only one ever shows up. Ever. If I do one in Econ and one in J and another J opens up, might they allow the upgrade with points and waive fee? Will also have an additional 3 in Econ. I may just book us all in Econ and see about upgrading two if fee wouldn't be incurred (aside from point difference). Any other options?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Two questions re award changes. 1) A few days ago I booked 5x J awards from ATL-NRT for next summer. I'd like to move the departure 1 day. The flight is still available for same amount of SM. Given how far out this is and how close I am to having booked, is it possible I won't have to pay change fee? For $150 fee on awards, that'd be $750. Sigh.

2). About to book KIX-DPS with SM on GA partner award. Want 2x J but only one ever shows up. Ever. If I do one in Econ and one in J and another J opens up, might they allow the upgrade with points and waive fee? Will also have an additional 3 in Econ. I may just book us all in Econ and see about upgrading two if fee wouldn't be incurred (aside from point difference). Any other options?
You are kinda asking for a lot of exceptions to the penalties, Any particular reason you feel they should make these exceptions? It does not appear that you have any status at Delta.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
You are kinda asking for a lot of exceptions to the penalties, Any particular reason you feel they should make these exceptions? It does not appear that you have any status at Delta.
No status. The first one re date change this far in advance was just a question of curiosity. It's 11 months out. The second one is something several other airlines do without a fee or only minor fee, perhaps bc they get more points out of the end result.

I don't expect DL to change my dates without a fee. Was just wondering if others have experienced that sort of situation and were successful.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Smile International Travel - $300 Change Fee Waived

Delta Platinum - Called yesterday to change international ticket and $300 change fee was not waived.... Called today and agent was willing to waive the fee. Was really happy, even though had to pay a $50 service charge to change but a saving compared to $300... Thank you Delta!!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by UCSBCHRIS2002
Delta Platinum - Called yesterday to change international ticket and $300 change fee was not waived.... Called today and agent was willing to waive the fee. Was really happy, even though had to pay a $50 service charge to change but a saving compared to $300... Thank you Delta!!
Same here. I got a very nice agent. I explained my issue honestly and she was very understanding. I really appreciate DL for giving agents some autonomy.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Same here. I got a very nice agent. I explained my issue honestly and she was very understanding. I really appreciate DL for giving agents some autonomy.
Can you provide more details on how you fared? What did you try to change, and what sort of waiver did they offer you? This would help others in a similar situation.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I called 2 weeks ago for a flight change due to a family member having last minute surgery, and was not charged a fee or fare difference. I called Sat for a Mon AM flight (to change to Mon PM).

They did ask for the doctor/hospital name, address, and phone, and I am DM.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Can you provide more details on how you fared? What did you try to change, and what sort of waiver did they offer you? This would help others in a similar situation.
I called to book another flight and, when that was finished, I simply asked the agent about changing a flight by one day for next summer. Booked originally only a few days ago. I'd been on the phone with her for quite a while booking the new trip and she kept apologizing for the hold times. Maybe she felt guilty? Anyway, the flight I needed to change is 10 months out. I was told "one time courtesy". I was very grateful.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Wanted to add my experience to this thread...

DL waved the change fee for me earlier this month on a flight originating from an Asia Pacific city. After calling the local number for reservations, they asked me to email a copy of the medical letter to an @Delta.com email address, presumably an Asia Pacific call center, generic address and to call back in 30 minutes. After I did that, they said they would make a one-time exception and that it would be noted on my SkyMiles account (I do not have status), and I ended up changing my flights to a week later and only paying a $25USD fare difference.

I wonder if the method of handling/verifying is different between overseas and in the USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.