Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

11.5hr layover in ATL, recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles Member, WFBF

I was hesitant to start a new thread, however, the search results I found for my questions were years old.

So, during the fare sale to Europe a few months ago, I locked up some nice fares to DUB. When booking I noticed that the one catch was a fairly long layover in ATL, inbound arrives at 8AM outbound to DUB leaves at 8PM. I am okay with this connection because the fares were such a good deal. I consider myself a pretty savvy traveler but I have never dealt with a layover this long. My idea was to either buy SC passes for the 3 of us or rent a hotel room as sort of a home base during our time in ATL. I am leaning towards the hotel as that would allow us to freshen up before the redeye and allow my 4 year to catch a good nap before we leave.

Do any of you have any recommendations as to which property would be best suited for this purpose? I am not too worried about price, my only must have would probably be access to a shuttle, I don't really want to have to worry about public transportation. Or maybe there is a better option that I am not even considering at this point.

This trip isn't until September, so I have plenty of time to figure this out, but it would be nice to have a general path to head down.

TL;DR
I have a 12hr layover in ATL (8AM to 8PM), looking for recommendations for hotels which allow "day stays", have shuttles and are close in to the airport. Thank you in advance.

Edited to add:
3 travelers (myself, wife and 4yo)
Travelling in Y

Last edited by sdfcardinals; Feb 2, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM
A couple things come to mind.

First, between now and September, there is likely to be one or more schedule changes that may allow you to select a later flight into ATL.

Plan B would include visiting the DL flight museum on the DL campus. It takes about 2 to 3 hours to tour and is worth the visit.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Keep in mind the sky clubs close so I would go with the airport hotel. Get some sleep and wake up rested for your flight!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:01 pm

I have never stayed here, but check out the SpringHill Suites. It is accessed from free shuttle train that goes to the rental car location. That way you would not need a car and not be at the mercy of the shuttle vans. You could also be close to Marta (subway) to go into town or the rental car facility to rent a car if you want. Don't know about restaurant options right there, but there is also a full service Marriott nearby.

Primary issue is that this is near the domestic terminal and you will depart from the Intl terminal. You may need to take the bus shuttle from the Domestic terminal to Intl terminal when you are ready to head to your DUB flight.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Keep in mind the sky clubs close so I would go with the airport hotel. Get some sleep and wake up rested for your flight!
Layover is from 8AM to 8PM, so Sky Clubs should be open. I would be more concerned about room availability/early check-in although this might be a non issue in airport hotels. I don't stay at them frequently so I'm not sure.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
So many ideas with that much time to enjoy much in ATL

How about the Delta Flight Museum so near airport.

Next, take and uber to Fox Brothers BBQ?

Then the Sheraton or Westin is only about 4K SPG points a great value.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
There is a Marriott connected to the airport by shuttle train. It is the train that goes to the rental cars, makes a stop at a convention center with a Marriott. Or as Renes says take a uber to Fox bros BBQ. I live a half mile from there, epic BBQ.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
I have never stayed here, but check out the SpringHill Suites. It is accessed from free shuttle train that goes to the rental car location. That way you would not need a car and not be at the mercy of the shuttle vans. You could also be close to Marta (subway) to go into town or the rental car facility to rent a car if you want. Don't know about restaurant options right there, but there is also a full service Marriott nearby.

Primary issue is that this is near the domestic terminal and you will depart from the Intl terminal. You may need to take the bus shuttle from the Domestic terminal to Intl terminal when you are ready to head to your DUB flight.
OP will presumably already be checked in and can go directly through security from the "domestic" terminal to the gate using the plane train. Even if bags need to be checked, for DL international flights this can be done from the domestic terminal.

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
Layover is from 8AM to 8PM, so Sky Clubs should be open. I would be more concerned about room availability/early check-in although this might be a non issue in airport hotels. I don't stay at them frequently so I'm not sure.
OP probably wants to book a day rate at a hotel and negotiate the hours the room will be available. Something like 9-5 seems to be the norm.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estedman
There is a Marriott connected to the airport by shuttle train. It is the train that goes to the rental cars, makes a stop at a convention center with a Marriott. Or as Renes says take a uber to Fox bros BBQ. I live a half mile from there, epic BBQ.

That sounds to me like the best option, other than a schedule change that allows me to change our inbound. Our flight leaves on a Wednesday so I am hopeful that the hotel will not be too full and allow us to check in that early. The Delta museum sound like a great idea as well. My son loves airplanes so that sounds like a sure winner.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I was just making sure there wasn't an obvious choice that I was missing.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP probably wants to book a day rate at a hotel and negotiate the hours the room will be available. Something like 9-5 seems to be the norm.

My wife and I have done this in HNL, but I wasn't sure if it was possible in places like ATL. Never had a reason to try honestly.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
So many ideas with that much time to enjoy much in ATL

How about the Delta Flight Museum so near airport.

Next, take and uber to Fox Brothers BBQ?

Then the Sheraton or Westin is only about 4K SPG points a great value.
The airport Sheraton is a miserable place. Much better off booking one of the hotels on the rental car train, and then hopping over to the DL museum for a bit.

You can also go back into the airport a little early and grab dinner at any number of pretty good restaurants like Ecco or One Flew South (both airside).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sdfcardinals
That sounds to me like the best option, other than a schedule change that allows me to change our inbound. Our flight leaves on a Wednesday so I am hopeful that the hotel will not be too full and allow us to check in that early. The Delta museum sound like a great idea as well. My son loves airplanes so that sounds like a sure winner.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I was just making sure there wasn't an obvious choice that I was missing.
Both the Springhill Suites and the Marriott are at the same Rental Car train stop. The SHS is a little easier to access and the room layout might work a little bit better if you are traveling with kids.

Someone recommended Fox Brothers BBQ, which is near me. IMO, it can be very hit or miss. If you are looking for the new, in food option, go to Ponce City Market, which has many funky local places and some interesting shops: some local, some chains like West Elm and Williams-Sonoma. It's on the Beltline, which is Atlanta's newest urban walking trail. Eventually it will rim the city and include a streetcar, but what's open now is just a walking trail which is pretty awesome.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recommend the Westin near the airport. They do offer day rooms for 9-6.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
The Hotel Indigo is fairly new (IHG property) and sits right next to the airport. It's quirky in a good way, with some hole-in-the-wall BBQ and soul food places a short walk away. Nice views of the airport if you're into plane watching.
I've enjoyed both my stays there.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If you get out, I'd hope on the metro to the world of Coca-cola, a 4 year old will love trying all the different flavours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.