Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed Systemwide Outage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
It's a zoo here in the C SC @ MSP! Made it here on time form STL, but my outbound is delayed a hour at this point.
Fortunately for me MSP is my final destination. I lucked out during August outage by having my flight on Delta connections and it looks like I will be OK with this one.

You also have double whammy at MSP, given that F sky club is undergoing renovations and thus people avoid it and go to C instead.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
MEM skyclub is slightly busier than normal but not anything crazy. flights are mostly on time, a few minor (<30min) delays.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:53 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Today's NYT:

A convenient coincidence...OR WAS IT??!!
Unfortunately for him the chaos he created started 24 hours BEFORE Delta's did!

But any port in a storm I guess.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Talk about "saved by Delta's groundstop". Without this outage, he must have missed the flight. According to LA times, the protesters have been blocking traffic on both levels in front of TBIT for the last few hours. I assume it is still regarded as a peaceful protest. LAX website reports that even crews are having trouble accessing the airport, delaying some flights.
The protesters were in the street on the departure level on the approach to the airport, so vehicles could not get through. There was a period of time in which they sat at a dead stop for 30 minutes. I was on the phone with him as they were getting close. I had to coach him on how to cut through the T-1 parking lot so that he could hoof it the remainder of the way to T-5.

By this time it was about 10 minutes before his originally scheduled departure. I was not yet aware of the DL outage, but I told him that if vehicles could not get into LAX, that meant that airline and airport employees could not, either, and his flight may be delayed. It was only a little while later when I got home and logged into FT that I was able to confirm the outage.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Howste
Every time you make a mistake at work, do you suggest that your boss vigorously kick your keister? What's good for the goose...

Maybe if DL took your advice and made YUL a hub this could have been prevented.
Now how in the world would you know what's good for me or not?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by perepelov
As I've been saying before: until senior management of this disgraceful airline (as well as all other airlines - none of them is better than the other) is made personally responsible, financially, for such outages - and they start kicking asses really hard of their subordinates - nothing's gonna change. Currently, the management is concerned about only one thing: market cap, they don't give a crap about customers. Passengers have little or no choice, they will continue flying, and the money will continue to be flowing to investor's pockets. Right now the one who is paying all those losses caused by the outage - is the consumer at the end of the line, millions of them. And this is wrong. The management should pay for that, out of the tens of millions they get paid for their work. It's their fault.
Originally Posted by backprop
One columnist suggested that slow recovery from the power outage last year was due in part to offshored and outsourced IT work.

https://betanews.com/2016/08/09/outs...ower-went-out/

I wonder if the same could hold true in this case.

My own company's IT has gradually been outsourced (via H-1B visa workers and eventually entirely offshored) and costs have spiraled out of control and outages are more severe than they were, say, 10 years ago.
This is precisely why I left my career in IT management. IT has become commoditized. People take for granted that these things should just work. Then it becomes all about focusing on how quickly and especially cheaply it can be done.

I found it getting harder and harder to obtain funding for equipment or people necessary to run a quality operation. To give a specific example (from a company that billed itself as a cutting edge Cloud Software organization), despite practically begging for resources to address aging and ill-designed network infrastructure, I was denied budget repeatedly. The warning signs were there. The risks were made known. The answer was no.

Then one day the core switch blew in a good sized office, and there was nobody and no equipment within 1,500 miles available to fix it. I had to send a network engineer home at 2pm to pack his bags and catch a dinnertime flight across the country with a 5 year old switch as a carry-on. I got torn a new a-hole because what I had been telling them for almost two years had finally happened. I finally had grudging agreement to replace the equipment - in that office only - and find a company to outsource a resource who would only be available for emergencies.

Just one example, but there were many, and not limited to the organizations I worked for. Cost cutting, outsourcing, etc. are industry trends. I couldn't find a way to win at that game. I had to get out.

As the saying goes, the ways it can be done are fast, well, and cheap... pick two. All too often, fast and cheap wins, with potentially disastrous consequences. Then when those things happen, there's a rush to hand it around the necks of IT - sometimes justified, sometimes not. You get what you pay for.

WQITBQIT. (Want Quality IT, Buy Quality IT.)

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 30, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
WQITBQIT. (Want Quality IT, Buy Quality IT.)
+1 @:-)
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
text message from Delta:

Please check your email for a special message from Delta regarding your January 29th flight.
followed by an email:

Dear Delta Customer,

We sincerely apologize and regret the disruption to your travel plans last night. Unfortunately, a systems outage in Atlanta, which began at approximately 6:30 p.m. ET, impacted Delta operations worldwide which resulted in flight delays and cancellations. We are in the process of resuming normal operations.

We Appreciate Your Patience

Our Customer Care team is aware of the disruption to your travel plans. While we cannot make up your lost time, we will be in touch within the next 24 to 48 hours with a gesture of appreciation for your patience and understanding. Please be sure to check your email/text for further information.

Thank you for continuing to choose Delta for your travel needs.
I also submitted a taxi receipt via the website, will see if they reimburse that.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
It' s time the DOT start fining airlines and force them to pay EU-style compensation when things like this happen. You don' t see this as much with European airlines ( or anywhere else for that matter), and when it does happen with other airlines it doesn' t take them as long to get planes up in the air again ( unlike the Delta fiasco in August).
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
+1. Airlines need to get their crap in order. This is ridiculous.
A quick Google search would suggest that the airline industry, collectively, is falling on it feckless face when it comes to IT issues. Major system-wide FUBARs include:
  • Delta - January 29, 2017
  • United - January 23, 2017
  • Air Canada - January 17, 2017
  • United - October 13, 2016
  • Delta - August 8, 2016
  • Southwest - July 20 - 23/2016
  • Jet Blue - January 16, 2016
  • American - September 17, 2015
  • Southwest - October 11, 2015
  • United - July 8, 2015
  • United - November 15, 2012
These are only the major issues, resulting in significant numbers of delayed and cancelled flights. This does not reflect major website issues hampering ticket purchases, check-in etc. Info on these can be found by going to downdetector.com and searching each airline for past problems.

With airlines making money hand-over-foot, perhaps it is time to devote additional resources to attending to IT inadequacies. Empirical evidence would suggest that this is not happening.

Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
Web site completely down again as is the app (at least for me). This complete meltdown twice in 6 months is simply unacceptable. Someone needs to fall of his sword, and I think that might be Ed
Someone, in another post, asked what this would accomplish. The CEO sets the course, established the priorities, and defines the culture of the organization. Despite Ed's public statements when each FUBAR occurs, one has to wonder how much priority he is giving to addressing IT inadequacies. Someone must be held accountable. Is anyone?

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Here are snapshots of delays and cancellations from FlightAware.com, by operating carrier (so Delta Connection flights are under SkyWest, ExpressJet, etc.)

Nobody wants this to happen again but systemwide this doesn't even score up with a big East Coast weather event.
Perhaps... but CEOs cannot control the weather. They can, however, control IT system budgets and priorities. You are making and apples and oranges comparison. The customer deserves service reliability greater than what is being provided.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My MQMs from yesterday's delayed flight have posted ^

How are hold times today, anyone know? I have something non-urgent to call about, will wait until later in the week if they are still slammed.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
I wonder if for those caught up in this mess there will be compensation if they were on the ground for more than 3 hours not able to get off the plane?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Zorak

How are hold times today, anyone know? I have something non-urgent to call about, will wait until later in the week if they are still slammed.
someone reported on this thread earlier this morning being quoted a hold time of 59-100m as a PM.

my dad went through ATL this morning and said it was still pretty chaotic there and his flight ATL-DFW was delayed waiting for an inbound crew who was supposed to be there as of last night already.

i would wait until at least tomorrow if non-urgent. ymmv.

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
I wonder if for those caught up in this mess there will be compensation if they were on the ground for more than 3 hours not able to get off the plane?
I would hope the DOT wouldn't give DL a pass on this tarmac delay requirement for this issue.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I would hope the DOT wouldn't give DL a pass on this tarmac delay requirement for this issue.
^

Don't forget, though, that the DOT tarmac delay rule only stipulates a fine for the carrier and not compensation for the passenger.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Zorak

I got through instantly about two hours ago to the DM line!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
A quick Google search would suggest that the airline industry, collectively, is falling on it feckless face when it comes to IT issues. Major system-wide FUBARs include:
  • Delta - January 29, 2017
  • United - January 23, 2017
  • Air Canada - January 17, 2017
  • United - October 13, 2016
  • Delta - August 8, 2016
  • Southwest - July 20 - 23/2016
  • Jet Blue - January 16, 2016
  • American - September 17, 2015
  • Southwest - October 11, 2015
  • United - July 8, 2015
  • United - November 15, 2012
These are only the major issues, resulting in significant numbers of delayed and cancelled flights. This does not reflect major website issues hampering ticket purchases, check-in etc. Info on these can be found by going to downdetector.com and searching each airline for past problems.

With airlines making money hand-over-foot, perhaps it is time to devote additional resources to attending to IT inadequacies. Empirical evidence would suggest that this is not happening.

Someone, in another post, asked what this would accomplish. The CEO sets the course, established the priorities, and defines the culture of the organization. Despite Ed's public statements when each FUBAR occurs, one has to wonder how much priority he is giving to addressing IT inadequacies. Someone must be held accountable. Is anyone?

Perhaps... but CEOs cannot control the weather. They can, however, control IT system budgets and priorities. You are making and apples and oranges comparison. The customer deserves service reliability greater than what is being provided.
But apples and oranges are the same from a purely financial point of view - they both cost money. And there is the possibility that they are willing to risk (pay for, reserve for (?!)) another fruit, be it an east coast snow storm or a broken band aide on the IT system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.