Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta employee @JFK attacked by connecting DL passenger on bigoted tirade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Originally Posted by Washington Post
The Queens District Attorney’s Office said Robin Rhodes, of Worchester, had arrived from Aruba and was awaiting a connecting flight to Massachusetts Wednesday night when he approached Delta employee Rabeeya Khan, who wears a hijab, while she was sitting in her office.

Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said Rhodes came up to the door and went on a profanity-laced tirade, asking the woman if she was praying. Rhodes then allegedly punched the door, which hit the back of Khan’s chair. Khan asked Rhodes what she had done to him and Rhodes replied, “You did nothing.” He then cursed at her and kicked her in the leg, Brown said.

When another person tried to calm him down, Brown said Rhodes moved away from the door and Khan ran out of the office. Rhodes followed her, got down on his knees and began to bow down in imitation of a Muslim praying, shouted obscenities and .....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.19af82f9faee
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Is the Washington Post that lousy of a publication that it can't even spell Worcester, MA correct? What the hell is 'Worchester?'
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Is the Washington Post that lousy of a publication that it can't even spell Worcester, MA correct? What the hell is 'Worchester?'
It's actually an article from the Associated Press that is being used by the Washington Post, but typos take place from time to time. I'm sure we both have made some typos before, perfect as we are, right?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:33 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Sort of surprised this happened inside a SkyClub (or maybe not so much?)... I'll assume he gets banned for life from DL.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
That's awful. Hopefully the man gets prosecuted fully and that Delta offers whatever support is needed to their employee. Not much more that can be said in a non-OMNI thread.

Here is a different article with the correct spelling or Worcester
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/n...tack.html?_r=0

Last edited by TTT; Jan 27, 2017 at 5:55 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Please delete - duplicate.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Such a shame... hope Delta comes down hard on this guy, fortunately the feds are charging him with a hate crime which believe it or not is still a crime in this country.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
Such a shame... hope Delta comes down hard on this guy, fortunately the feds are charging him with a hate crime which believe it or not is still a crime in this country.
The Feds? I thought it was the (Queens) county prosecutor's office using state laws, not federal laws.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
You'll be happy to know that they've now corrected the spelling.

Now if only there was some type of wall we could put Mr. Rhodes behind that he wouldn't be able to get back to be a jerk.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Feds? I thought it was the (Queens) county prosecutor's office using state laws, not federal laws.
Hmn, not sure. I saw hate crime and assumed Federal. You're probably right.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not aware of how passengers at JFK can get to an employee office with a door. AFAIK all customer facing staff work at counters/desks except for the baggage service offices which are genuine offices at some airports, but a connecting passenger shouldn't be in the baggage claim area. IIRC Aruba flights do immigration and customs PreClearance, so the passenger shouldn't have been around the customs exit service area either.

ADDED: I see it occurred in a SC at JFK, but again I cannot picture an employee office in the lounge that a customer can access.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not aware of how passengers at JFK can get to an employee office with a door. AFAIK all customer facing staff work at counters/desks except for the baggage service offices which are genuine offices at some airports, but a connecting passenger shouldn't be in the baggage claim area. IIRC Aruba flights do immigration and customs PreClearance, so the passenger shouldn't have been around the customs exit service area either.

ADDED: I see it occurred in a SC at JFK, but again I cannot picture an employee office in the lounge that a customer can access.
Never been to any of the SkyClubs at JFK so I'm just speculating...but something tells me an A-Job like this guy wouldn't be bothered by an "Employees Only" Sign.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
Never been to any of the SkyClubs at JFK so I'm just speculating...but something tells me an A-Job like this guy wouldn't be bothered by an "Employees Only" Sign.
Perhaps, but how would he have seen the victim to be motivated to go to the office door? Do you think he just decided to roam around the staff areas in search of someone to attack? I wonder what her position was in the SC if she had an office back there.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I can't picture the layout of this club right now, but I have been to Sky Clubs where you pass an office on the way to restrooms or something and have seen an open door.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Or maybe she was sitting behind the shower check-in desk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.