Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by enviroian
As it should be. Everyone is elite these days and if they are giving TSA pre the lines are already way too clogged. In fact I wish they would up the fee to say $300 from $85 or whatever I paid. That's way too cheap.
I'd be willing to pay double for precheck if they would only give it to people with a TTN, not more giving it out to random or to people just because they have kids or are over a certain age (who IME are the worst ones about slowing the line down) and I'm sure anyone who flies regularly would be willing to. That would still come out to only $1.25 a flight for those that only fly 1 RT a month and a lot less for your typical flyertalker.

Seeing it's a benefit with a lot of credit card companies I don't see that happening though.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Obviously, none of us know if it is guaranteed or not (as long as everything is correct on the ticket), but I have had GE for almost six years, flying at least 48 round-trips per year, and I have never missed it. My wife, who has also had GE for the same amount of time, has never missed it either. In fact, I have gotten it numerous times, when I have booked flights by phone on my way to the airport.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's DL's statement about DHS limiting access. Does not claim to eliminate it completely for status holders, but claims they will get it "much less often". Could be DHS has just finally gotten around to implementing the new policy.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...bers-only.html

Last edited by xliioper; May 23, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old May 23, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'd be willing to pay double for precheck if they would only give it to people with a TTN, not more giving it out to random or to people just because they have kids or are over a certain age (who IME are the worst ones about slowing the line down) and I'm sure anyone who flies regularly would be willing to. That would still come out to only $1.25 a flight for those that only fly 1 RT a month and a lot less for your typical flyertalker.

Seeing it's a benefit with a lot of credit card companies I don't see that happening though.
Well of course the proper thing to do is to direct people to the Übermenschen line at whatever rate maximizes total checkpoint throughput. The Übermenschen line takes less time per passenger and so moving people from the regular line to that line increases total throughput, which is more efficient and safer. All that's needed to educate people about what to do is for the TSA clerks to be taught to use their indoor voices. I personally have not seen any "clueless passengers" in front of me in the Übermenschen line, but I have been ALONE in that line at JFK T4 from the time I got to the document checker to the time I came out, and that is a disgrace and a waste of government resources. And it endangers passengers, because whatever threat exists is the threat of an attack on the checkpoint queue.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Contradancer
I am Platinum Medallion. I fly most weeks. With one exception I haven't gotten TSA PreCheck in a couple months or so.

I had seen information that suggested but did not say explicitly that TSA PreCheck was going away for anyone who didn't pay for it. Seems like this started a couple years ago but only in the last couple months did I stop getting PreCheck consistently.

I tried just now saving again the Secure Flight Passenger Data part of my Delta profile to see if that would accomplish anything. We'll see.

Anyone know any more than this?
To answer your question, TSA has been phasing out what they call "Managed Inclusion" which is the inclusion of people who haven't paid for PreCheck. People who haven't enrolled in PreCheck are still being funneled into PreCheck lines, but this practice has been declining. (There are actually multiple forms of the managed inclusion program; you can read more about this here.)

WPBP (What PreCheck Buy PreCheck)

Last edited by rucksack; May 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Or pay 30$ less and get both Precheck, GE, and NEXUS for 50$.
It's $35 less, but you need to go to a NEXUS processing point, which generally means the Canadian border.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Just because you take your shoes off doesn't necessarily mean you don't understand Precheck. If happen to wear shoes with steel shanks (such as those of us who wear heeled boots) you still need to to take your shoes off or they will set off the detector.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Bon Voyage, Managed Obstruction.

Disney bound, extended families gumming up the works while digging for fruit roll-ups, you are in the big line over yonder!
Old May 23, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if you have PreCheck, I don't think that guarantees that you'll get PreCheck for all flights.
I signed up for PreCheck at least 2 years ago or whenever TSA dropped the FF beta test and wanted people to pay for it. Before that, I had not gotten PreCheck on 2 flights out of over 100. After they switched, I got it twice out of the next 6 flights so I paid for it. I have now gotten it every single time (over at least another 100 flights) but I have had to have extra screening after the metal detector gave off the random extra screening beep a few times.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Fleck
Bon Voyage, Managed Obstruction.

Disney bound, extended families gumming up the works while digging for fruit roll-ups, you are in the big line over yonder!
Aren't people with children under a certain age (I think it's 12) allowed to opt out of the nude-o-scope and use precheck still (and in those cases they allow the whole family to go through which really backs the line up)? I know they allow people over a certain age to use the precheck lane as well as military (I have no issues with military using the lane since they know the routine of clearing security fast).

A thread pops up every few months saying that TSA free precheck is going away. Hopefully the rumor is true this time.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:25 pm

AS a GE holder it infuriates me that I can't use pre-check if my foreign airline doesn't participate. I am KNOWN, what difference should it make which airline I fly. FF status is a ridiculous criteria, IMO. The 9/11 terrorists probably had FF status, the did so much flying around checking things out. Just because you've flown a lot--doesn't mean you aren't a danger to the aircraft and those around you. You are still unknown!
Old May 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm 100% with pre-check since buying into Global Entry. I did get randomly selected a few weeks ago for a date with with nude-o-scope and one of the frisky TSA guys, but that is the only hiccup I've run into.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by awayIgo
AS a GE holder it infuriates me that I can't use pre-check if my foreign airline doesn't participate. I am KNOWN, what difference should it make which airline I fly. FF status is a ridiculous criteria, IMO. The 9/11 terrorists probably had FF status, the did so much flying around checking things out. Just because you've flown a lot--doesn't mean you aren't a danger to the aircraft and those around you. You are still unknown!
As a corollary to this, I don't understand why Delta doesn't offer an airside jitney between T2 and/or T4 and T1 at JFK. I guess they really want out of towners to endure a uniquely New York experience (T1 security is the nastiest I've encountered in this country).
Old May 23, 2017, 2:37 pm

Delta DOES offer a jitney between T2 and T4 ( the two terminals they use) However, if someone is arriving internationally the DO go through customs and immigration--thus leaving the secure side!
Old May 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Aren't people with children under a certain age (I think it's 12) allowed to opt out of the nude-o-scope and use precheck still (and in those cases they allow the whole family to go through which really backs the line up)? I know they allow people over a certain age to use the precheck lane as well as military (I have no issues with military using the lane since they know the routine of clearing security fast).

A thread pops up every few months saying that TSA free precheck is going away. Hopefully the rumor is true this time.
If the parent gets precheck then they can take children under 12 with them. They don't get to use it just because they have children under 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.