Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Not worried about MN airports taking the old licenses, it is other states accepting them. Trying to explain to RSW need to accept a non compliant ID might be more complicated. Easier to just get the new compliant EDL now
it would be the TSA so not dependent on state that determines if non-compliant ID will still be taken.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
it would be the TSA so not dependent on state that determines if non-compliant ID will still be taken.
You are right, of course. It will be interesting what happens. I completely expect chaos at MSP as someone already mentioned. What they have not advised is if the pack they have made will somehow allow MN regular DL's valid for ID for a longer time or if something else will happen.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
You are right, of course. It will be interesting what happens. I completely expect chaos at MSP as someone already mentioned. What they have not advised is if the pack they have made will somehow allow MN regular DL's valid for ID for a longer time or if something else will happen.
I'm betting they'll allow old DL to be used. I think the main issue behind this is ensuring that the person has meet verification the Feds consider good enough to verify I'D. Part of which is ensuring that a person doesn't have a license with another state.

I really wish we had just one I'D card. When you get a DL they simply update the ID to reflect you can drive. Approved for GE, update the card. I get not everyone wanting a government issued I'D. However if you want one I wish there was such an ID.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:02 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm betting they'll allow old DL to be used. I think the main issue behind this is ensuring that the person has meet verification the Feds consider good enough to verify I'D. Part of which is ensuring that a person doesn't have a license with another state.

I really wish we had just one I'D card. When you get a DL they simply update the ID to reflect you can drive. Approved for GE, update the card. I get not everyone wanting a government issued I'D. However if you want one I wish there was such an ID.
Get a Passport Card. It only shows the state where you were born, gender and DOB - no home address or height/weight info.

GE/NEXUS only shows citizenship, gender and DOB. But that carx is a little less recognizable than a passport card.

To much info getting disseminated is a bad thing....
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:05 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdix
I simply use my GE number at the kiosk. It's quicker than futzing with the stupid passport reader.
How does that work? Is there an option to just enter the KTN?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Global entry got approved, made my interview appointment for May. Entered my ktn in delta app, still no joy this morning. Clear to regular line.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Unless something has changed, when you get the first letter, instructing you to make an appointment, your KTN will show on the letter. You can start using it immediately. If you do not follow through with the appointment, it will become inactive, but you do have a grace period between when you get the letter and when you should have had your appointment where the KTN will work.
I'm kinda surprised this "hack" exists -- to clarify, does "work" mean "gets you PreCheck" or "lets you use the GE kiosk for re-entry to the US" or both?

Originally Posted by guller
Global entry got approved, made my interview appointment for May. Entered my ktn in delta app, still no joy this morning. Clear to regular line.
My recollection is that even after an interview and full approval, adding your KTN to your FF profile only affects any new reservations you make from that point; for any existing reservations you have to add the KTN to each one manually. Could that have applied here?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm kinda surprised this "hack" exists -- to clarify, does "work" mean "gets you PreCheck" or "lets you use the GE kiosk for re-entry to the US" or both?

My recollection is that even after an interview and full approval, adding your KTN to your FF profile only affects any new reservations you make from that point; for any existing reservations you have to add the KTN to each one manually. Could that have applied here?
YEP, that's probably what happened.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
no more TSA PreCheck for flyers with status?

I am Platinum Medallion. I fly most weeks. With one exception I haven't gotten TSA PreCheck in a couple months or so.

I had seen information that suggested but did not say explicitly that TSA PreCheck was going away for anyone who didn't pay for it. Seems like this started a couple years ago but only in the last couple months did I stop getting PreCheck consistently.

I tried just now saving again the Secure Flight Passenger Data part of my Delta profile to see if that would accomplish anything. We'll see.

Anyone know any more than this?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 24, 2017 at 6:18 am Reason: Merged into the existing thread on this subject
Old May 23, 2017, 7:34 am

If they did change it I am happy with the change. I paid for the product and at times the pre check line has been terrible. At times I think the regular line would have been quicker. If they limit it to people that paid for it that sounds good to me. Getting it is only 80 bucks for 4 or 5 years or get global entry for 20 more and it includes pre check.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Contradancer
I am Platinum Medallion. I fly most weeks. With one exception I haven't gotten TSA PreCheck in a couple months or so.

I had seen information that suggested but did not say explicitly that TSA PreCheck was going away for anyone who didn't pay for it. Seems like this started a couple years ago but only in the last couple months did I stop getting PreCheck consistently.

I tried just now saving again the Secure Flight Passenger Data part of my Delta profile to see if that would accomplish anything. We'll see.

Anyone know any more than this?
It's no longer a regular thing for FFs. The TSA's algorithms might grant it to you, but it's not guaranteed anymore.

Just sign up for global entry, or if you don't want the hassle of that, stand-alone PreCheck.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA formally announced that it was phasing out the pilot program in which Pre-Check was offered to certain individuals where the carrier had a good deal of information --- mostly for those with status.

About six months ago, TSA announced that the program had been discontinued.

You may apply for Global Entry ($100 for 5 years) or save $15 and apply for Pre-Check only ($85 for 5 years).

If you fly one round-trip every two-weeks, Global Entry works out to 39 cents per use.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I can't figure out how to link on my tablet, but if you search precheck, you will find the thread discussing it.

My wife and I both got our free precheck last week at MCO and LIT.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...travelers.html
Old May 23, 2017, 7:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I've never paid for PreChek, and still got it as recently as my round trip to MEX last Thursday and returning yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.