Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:48 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nichelle
This is fine by me. I went through the south pre-check line at MSP this morning. After watching a man walk through while holding a large cup of coffee, two other passengers go through with phones in their pockets and another with metal in his shoes, the TSA agent became visibly frustrated.

He raised his voice, pointed and said "This detects metal!"
So, it detects coffee, too?!?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I've gotten pre for free once, As a silver...on a paid longhaul D1 ticket. Now, as a PM, haven't had it free once.

Oh well.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Bad news for me. I got it but cant get Pre because not a US citizen
Are you a permanent resident? Those are eligible.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
As someone who holds a greencard who is about to go in for their GE interview tomorrow (which also gives me PreCheck), I am happy with this. The few times premium tickets got me into the PreCheck lane, I was amazed with the incompetence of people in it that had water on their person or in their bags and stuff in their pockets. I hope this'll make things better.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
As a data point, when my Dad has traveled with me on the same reservation, he has been granted PreCheck.
If one gets it everyone on same reservation that checks in at same time normally gets it. Checking in separate normally cause only those qualified to get it.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Widgets
While this applies to all airlines, this affects Delta frequent fliers. Starting February 2017, the TSA will stop all free access to PreCheck. Previously, the TSA has granted free access to airline frequent fliers and to other passengers randomly. Since the TSA feels that enough paid subscribers have enrolled, they're finally ready to restrict PreCheck to only paid subscribers. I think this is great for the subscribers since they'll see fewer clueless travelers who slow down the line. If you haven't enrolled in a trusted traveler program, go ahead and start.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-precheck.aspx
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then at least, free PreCheck access will continue.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If one gets it everyone on same reservation that checks in at same time normally gets it. Checking in separate normally cause only those qualified to get it.
Often normally, all in the party get it; and sometimes normally, some but not all in the party get it.

Originally Posted by yohanson
I consider this good news mainly because I assume this will eliminate everyone who doesn't know the rules for PreCheck.
The above post reads like wishful thinking. I've seen plenty of GE members who seem pretty clueless about PreCheck; that, and sometimes the TSA directs people with PreCheck to do something other than what most of us here have gotten used to doing when using PreCheck.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 27, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I think GRALISTAIR knows that he is eligible as a UK citizen, but that he was turned down for it for reasons unknown. As a data point I am a UK citizen, with a British passport, and have had GE for a few years now as have a lot of Brits.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
(Saw this thread linked from the Flyertalk homepage)

+1. I'm a British AAdvantage Platinum member living in the UK, and I reckon over the last few years I've had Pre on 75% of domestic US flights. Granted I only do maybe 10 a year, but it's a fantastic perk, particularly as there seem to be fewer priority lanes around these days, and those that remain aren't much quicker than the general lanes.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know Norwegian and Swedish citizens who are not residents of the US, don't have GE or anything allowing them to load up the KTN field with a valid number and yet they have gotten PreCheck at 100% rates in the past 2-3 years of travel on numerous US flights -- even as they mostly have no elite frequent flyer status. And I'm speaking of people who are between the ages of 18 and 60 years.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Anther data point: this german resident has a 100% ( yes, one hundred percent ) Pre-check rate via GE. Works fine so far for this non-US resident.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It's about time
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM
FANTASTIC news.....lately it seems most in Pre have no clue what it is or what to do...taking off shoes, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
FANTASTIC news.....lately it seems most in Pre have no clue what it is or what to do...taking off shoes, etc.
Some shoes do set off metal detectors. My boots do and they're coming off. Invariably some busybody in line is screaming "you don't have to take your shoes off". Please don't be "that guy". It could just be that you're wrong. (take no offense Bubba, I'm not talking to you, I'm just using your quote for reference)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Fantastic news if they actually mean it this time
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
Some shoes do set off metal detectors. My boots do and they're coming off. Invariably some busybody in line is screaming "you don't have to take your shoes off". Please don't be "that guy". It could just be that you're wrong. (take no offense Bubba, I'm not talking to you, I'm just using your quote for reference)
What is funny is my boots do as well.....about 60% of the time. I fly in and out of smaller stations and it's always at the smaller stops, like JAC, EWY, or HRL they set them off. Check in at SFO, LAX, LAS and I can walk right through with the same boots on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.