Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Medallion // Hertz Status Benefits Consolidated Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Threads from the Hertz Gold Choice Forum that may be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1793054-questions-discussion-about-hertz-ultimate-choice-service.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...ead-guide.html
Print Wikipost

Delta Medallion // Hertz Status Benefits Consolidated Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Great thread, thanks for the tip! I just registered up.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
As a PC member I will warn the noobs not to expect much. Hertz has gone downhill over the past couple of years. PC will usually get you past the line, but does not give significant upgrade in car class or quality at most locations. I am moving a large portion of my spend to National in the coming year after a number of unsavory rentals. YMMV
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My last Hertz rental was a disaster. Almost literally, as it came close to dying on the interstate but I was instead able to limp along under 40 mph where the speed limit was 75. Scary. Then I had a long fight with Hertz to get them to do something to get me a car that worked properly.

I've been in the process of switching, but the lure of Presidents Circle (with cars that at least are parked closely and under the cannopy, unlike my Gold Service vehicles where I've been batting 50-50 on the roof) is making me think about reconsidering. Maybe I've had PC envy?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My last Hertz rental was a disaster. Almost literally, as it came close to dying on the interstate but I was instead able to limp along under 40 mph where the speed limit was 75. Scary. Then I had a long fight with Hertz to get them to do something to get me a car that worked properly.

I've been in the process of switching, but the lure of Presidents Circle (with cars that at least are parked closely and under the cannopy, unlike my Gold Service vehicles where I've been batting 50-50 on the roof) is making me think about reconsidering. Maybe I've had PC envy?
While disastrous events like these aren't common at all, it seem quite a few people have at least one story like this with Hertz.

Since people with United status are getting PC as well, I'm expecting a huge drop in service in January from the people evaluating what their new PC status will get them.

Switch to National, sign up for Emerald Club (even if you have to pay for it) and never look back. For locations with Emerald Aisle, it's like you're getting PC upgrades every time.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Both my wife and I are National EE and Hertz 5 Star before this promotion. We rent mainly at LGA and MSY.

Both National and Hertz absolutely suck at LGA. If you get to National after 10 AM the Executived Aisle will typically have mini-vans and more empty spaces than cars. Hertz will have the low end models of each category assigned to you and unless you want to spend extra time fighting for a different car, you're stuck with crap. They'll be happy to "Upgrade you" for ridiculous $.

National at MSY is different, maybe because we've gotten to know many of the staff. There's usually a good car selection and if we need something special like a minivan to haul stuff or people, they've always accommodated us. Hertz is better than they are at LGA but still not great.

We've evolved to shopping on price. Hertz prepay, when available and if you can use it, can be a big saving, usually about a 33% discount.

Booking through DL is expensive, we can always do better with the AAA rate.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I usually use a AAA rate too and prepay is rarely much cheaper, although I don't reserve my cars very far in advance, except possibly for European rentals.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I usually use a AAA rate too and prepay is rarely much cheaper, although I don't reserve my cars very far in advance, except possibly for European rentals.
YMMV. I'm on a Hertz prepay from LGA right now. 4 days, Hertz prepay < $200, Hertz and National AAA discount ~$300, DELTA Web Site Link ~$400.

Prepay done 4 days in advance.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:04 pm

You have a good rate for a NYC area airport on-site and full-servcie car.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:17 pm

You have a good rate for a NYC area airport on-site and full-servcie car.
Thank you.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Glad Delta is offering this. I'm a little disappointed there's nothing for Silver Medallions, but at least GMs get something back after the recent EC/C+ news.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Thumbs down meh

It's better to HAVE the "Presidents Circle" status than NOT to have it, sure, but...FYI....Hertz is garbage. Specifically, their rewards program.

Presidents Circle peeps get this benefit, whooppeeeedooo:

"675 points after every 15 qualifying Hertz rentals"

That means, for 15 rentals (likely 30 or more actual days)....you get ONE free day. This is not even a drop in the bucket.

Compare this loyalty program to Avis First, where they give you "Two-day Weekend Rental Rewards with every fourth qualifying rental of two or more days."

So if you have 16 rentals....Avis gives you 8 free days, and Hertz gives you 1.

I say all of this as a person who rents very frequently and today I actually achieved Presidents Circle by the normal way - renting a lot of cars.

Also keep in mind that Hertz's website is impossible to use, really janky, and much of the time, you are not able to use your points on a rental anyway, or at best, never for more than ONE free day of the entire rental. Good luck trying to redeem 2 days at once, meaning, the cash add-on for the other days will almost always be a factor in your redemptions. In my experience, one free Hertz day + one Hertz paid day can actually be more expensive than 2 paid Avis days.

So, it's amusing that today's news came just as I had already decided to focus 100% on Avis next year so that I can earn Avis First in due time. Still, of course I registered. At least, in 2016, I will still be Presidents Circle, even though I plan to rent from Hertz almost never again.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by marcworld
It's better to HAVE the "Presidents Circle" status than NOT to have it, sure, but...FYI....Hertz is garbage. Specifically, their rewards program.

Presidents Circle peeps get this benefit, whooppeeeedooo:

"675 points after every 15 qualifying Hertz rentals"

That means, for 15 rentals (likely 30 or more actual days)....you get ONE free day. This is not even a drop in the bucket.

Compare this loyalty program to Avis First, where they give you "Two-day Weekend Rental Rewards with every fourth qualifying rental of two or more days."

So if you have 16 rentals....Avis gives you 8 free days, and Hertz gives you 1.

I say all of this as a person who rents very frequently and today I actually achieved Presidents Circle by the normal way - renting a lot of cars.

Also keep in mind that Hertz's website is impossible to use, really janky, and much of the time, you are not able to use your points on a rental anyway, or at best, never for more than ONE free day of the entire rental. Good luck trying to redeem 2 days at once, meaning, the cash add-on for the other days will almost always be a factor in your redemptions. In my experience, one free Hertz day + one Hertz paid day can actually be more expensive than 2 paid Avis days.

So, it's amusing that today's news came just as I had already decided to focus 100% on Avis next year so that I can earn Avis First in due time. Still, of course I registered. At least, in 2016, I will still be Presidents Circle, even though I plan to rent from Hertz almost never again.
Having President's Circle at Hertz makes NO difference between you and any other Gold member (I was 5* until October...nothing has changed). I could cite many experiences, both positive and negative with Hertz but one thing stands out to anyone who rents from Hertz, their cars these days have more mileage on them then Rent-a-Wreck (and are in worse shape...rarely ever cleaned well). I rented a minivan on Sunday (reserved and was given an MVAR). Was given a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan with 5 miles short of 60K miles at LAX (in the FURTHEST space from the Gold Office, in the 800's, quite a walk especially if you have luggage...which I did not since I am a local). Plenty of dents and dings on it. Good thing for me, the keys were not in the vehicle. Went back to the Gold office. Was given a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 40K mileage after an extensive search (again in the 800's). In ok shape. Drove it for about a day but it stalled on us a number of times so I returned it yesterday and was given a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan with just over 4K mileage. Much better but still it could have been cleaned better. Status was NEVER mentioned one time in this rental. I also earned my status.

I disagree with you about the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, though. Frequent double, triple point promos, add on features bonus points - such as for SiriusXM or LDW, 250 point birthday bonus (which for me got doubled this year stacking with a double point promo), the 25% bonus for President's Circle members, nets you points pretty fast. For 20 rentals this year, some of which were reward rentals with insurance or Sirius/XM add-ons and count towards the 20, I'm sitting on enough points for 4 free weekly full size car rentals. Currently paying $145 per week - for 3 weeks - for a Minivan (MVAR)...which I couldn't find at any other agency in Los Angeles. If you know how to work Hertz with various CDP's and PC's (promotional coupons), you can get some very good deals at Hertz. Just wish the vehicles were like they use to be a few years back.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I disagree with you about the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, though. Frequent double, triple point promos, add on features bonus points - such as for SiriusXM or LDW, 250 point birthday bonus (which for me got doubled this year stacking with a double point promo), the 25% bonus for President's Circle members, nets you points pretty fast. For 20 rentals this year, some of which were reward rentals with insurance or Sirius/XM add-ons and count towards the 20, I'm sitting on enough points for 4 free weekly full size car rentals. Currently paying $145 per week - for 3 weeks - for a Minivan (MVAR)...which I couldn't find at any other agency in Los Angeles. If you know how to work Hertz with various CDP's and PC's (promotional coupons), you can get some very good deals at Hertz. Just wish the vehicles were like they use to be a few years back.
Well, I personally don't have the liberty to book whatever CDPs are offering bonuses, I am bound to use my corporate travel agent and the same CDP all of the time.

Although FWIW, renting from SFO, I usually get a decent car that is mostly new.

So it seems their service and cars and everything about Hertz is very hit and miss. Just not impressed, at all. (I could go on about all of the ...-brained things they do at the SFO location, but surely there is another thread for that.)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This agreement is kind of odd seeing how UA and Hertz just announced an "exclusive" partnership agreement.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Having President's Circle at Hertz makes NO difference between you and any other Gold member (I was 5* until October...nothing has changed).
Almost ... This.

Don't want to start a debate over Gold / 5* / PC - we can all head over to the Hertz form for that one - but there are a few times where I've been welcomed as a 5* above a normal customer. Some of the HLE's I rent at appear to truly value their frequent fliers - others, not so much.

Then again, I'm going to be 4 rentals short of PC this year, and not going to attempt to get it - I don't see the value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.