Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what happened w/ DL68 NRT-PDX diverting to Cold Bay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know what happened w/ DL68 NRT-PDX diverting to Cold Bay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
I would love to see a D1 lounge with *ANY* kind of Champagne....

TFD
Since there's no D1 lounges it'll be hard to find anything. The SC do have it although not free. I think they could do like AA at least and give premium passengers a coupon for free premium drink at the bar.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What SC's are left that have a bar that is not a luxury bar? And for that matter, what bar that was not a luxury bar offered anything other than the standard complimentary options?
For starters, any place without bartenders, including DTW, MSP C, and temporarily MSP F/G during their renovations.

The SCs with luxury bar aren't all equal either. ATL F had better champagne than MSP F/G before the changes. During last year's flash your DL AmEx card promo, I managed to find links to the luxury bar menus and there seemed to be several distinct tiers, with ATL F and JFK T4 obviously at the top.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since there's no D1 lounges it'll be hard to find anything. The SC do have it although not free. I think they could do like AA at least and give premium passengers a coupon for free premium drink at the bar.
I'd enjoy that more if the premium drink D1 coupons could be saved for use later as it doesn't seem necessary to me to consume alcohol in a SC when lots will shortly be served on board.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LR Flyer
I was actually on the flight.

Great crew and not a bad experience but I was in business class. They allowed folks to stay on the plane until the replacement plane arrived - which was about 7-8 hours later.

My biggest complaint was that it actually took that long to get a replacement plane from Seattle???
Just wondering as I had a friend on the flight (though not in business)...How /What does/did Delta do to compensate you? Miles or Voucher?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A couple years ago I was flying SEA-AMS and our 767 had a rolling MX (every hour pushed back by another hour)

Finally after about 5 hours they said they were bring over a new plane for us -- a 330.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
A couple years ago I was flying SEA-AMS and our 767 had a rolling MX (every hour pushed back by another hour)

Finally after about 5 hours they said they were bring over a new plane for us -- a 330.
Hopefully, different pilots, too - - - but, NOT new ones.

Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Hopefully, different pilots, too - - - but, NOT new ones.

The A330s aren't so new anymore either. PMNW purchased them well before the merger. There would be a much longer wait if DL purchased a new plane for the stranded passengers.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AA diverted there a couple of months ago with mechanical issues also. CDB has a very long runway capable of taking most any size plane. In the case of AA, the Pax were let off of the plane and hosted by the people of Cold Bay. AA sent representatives with a full Thanksgiving dinner to the town to thank them for their excellent response to the situation and stepping up to help out.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
AA diverted there a couple of months ago with mechanical issues also. CDB has a very long runway capable of taking most any size plane. In the case of AA, the Pax were let off of the plane and hosted by the people of Cold Bay. AA sent representatives with a full Thanksgiving dinner to the town to thank them for their excellent response to the situation and stepping up to help out.
That's classy.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Zorak
I only recognize the town name because Cold Bay has popped up numerous times on Deadliest Catch as a dispatch point for Coast Guard rescue helicopters/medical evac type stuff.
During peak fishing season, the Coast Guard keeps helicopters and rescue crews in Cold Bay. During the off season, they will load a helicopter on a cargo plane and ferry the helicopter out to Cold Bay, so they can get to the far reaching Aleutian islands and Bering Sea.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For starters, any place without bartenders, including DTW, MSP C, and temporarily MSP F/G during their renovations.
Sorry, I meant tended bars, because in the post of yours that I was responding to you said "Any SC with a bartender should have some sort of champagne, including the small bottles. The luxury bars have better choices." But I don't know of any tended SC bar that is not a luxury bar that sells anything, including champagne--they just serve the complimentary offerings.
I don't even know how many tended bars that are not luxury bars are left....is SLC still one? FLL? Since SFO moved I am not in any clubs without luxury bars in my regular travels.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Good to see ETOPS keeping everyone safe.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by berliner5000
The pax are probably held in a holding area if available.
Obviously you have never been there. No "holding area." It is a VERY small terminal. I was there on a diversion with 30 people and we almost filled the terminal

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Interesting. I wonder - does Cold Bay have immigration there or how could they stop people from leaving the terminal?

Did the captain ever say what the maintenance issue was that caused the divert?

Also - what happened to the crew of the original flight? Was there enough room on the rescue plane to accommodate them or how did they get back to SEA?
No immigration. Terminal has a couple of vending machines and toilets when I was there. It is a short walk into "town" but really not much to do in town. I am sure it would be easy to find anyone who left the terminal. Pretty hard to hide in Cold Bay!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Just wondering as I had a friend on the flight (though not in business)...How /What does/did Delta do to compensate you? Miles or Voucher?
35k miles. Is that a fair amount? Below is the email from Delta.

I would like to extend my sincere apology for the disruption to your travel plans today. As you know, Flight 68 had to land in Cold Bay, Alaska due to a problem with one of the plane’s engines. Arrangements were then made to keep you as comfortable as possible while waiting for a new plane to arrive. This is a situation we never want our customers to experience and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

We Appreciate Your Business
As a goodwill gesture, I’ve deposited 35,000 bonus miles into your account. Please allow three business days for the mileage to be posted.

Thanks for Flying Delta
We look forward to seeing you on another Delta flight.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When the B777 from JNB/ATL was diverted to Ascension Island for engine trouble, I believe they each got a free RT ticket to anywhere Delta flies in whatever class of service they were currently booked in.

That said, I think they were delayed something like 19 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.