Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Buys LHR Slot for $19.5M

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A non-hub/rival hub international flight is a relic of a bygone era. That PHL-LHR flight is such an oddity that if you fly it, you should maybe keep the tickets in mint condition. They might be worth something on Ebay in 20 years .
I don't think it really is, since LHR is a (joint venture) hub. DL operates flights from joint venture hubs to several non-hubs at least part of the year, including CDG-PIT, CDG-ORD, CDG-SEA (long before SEA was a DL hub). DL has shown more willingness to be creative with operations of TATL flights with their joint venture partners than UA and AA have for a long time. If it makes sense for DL/VS to fly LHR-PHL (which it does; PHL is a major market) but the best airplane for the market is a 757, it makes sense for DL to operate it (since VS has no airplane as small as a 757).

Of course, PHL has the added peculiarity that it's a LHR slot that can only be used for PHL for six seasons, but the flight isn't really an relic. If anything, it's a harbinger of the new era: joint venture hubs are hubs.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I don't think it really is, since LHR is a (joint venture) hub. DL operates flights from joint venture hubs to several non-hubs at least part of the year, including CDG-PIT, CDG-ORD, CDG-SEA (long before SEA was a DL hub). DL has shown more willingness to be creative with operations of TATL flights with their joint venture partners than UA and AA have for a long time. If it makes sense for DL/VS to fly LHR-PHL (which it does; PHL is a major market) but the best airplane for the market is a 757, it makes sense for DL to operate it (since VS has no airplane as small as a 757).

Of course, PHL has the added peculiarity that it's a LHR slot that can only be used for PHL for six seasons, but the flight isn't really an relic. If anything, it's a harbinger of the new era: joint venture hubs are hubs.
I'll give you Chicago now but that's also a huge market, the third largest in the country - considerably bigger than PHL. Connecting LHR to PHL makes sense but it's an AA city on the U.S. side and a BA hub on the UK side. That's a OneWorld route if there ever was one and there's bound to be a legion of AA/BA elites now on both sides of the Atlantic.

I don't know if I buy LHR as a VS hub. A hub needs spokes - VS has no spokes. VS flies out of LHR but it's not really counting on connecting traffic. VS is mostly a "Brits Abroad" airline for vacationers and flies from LHR to collect the mass of the population living in Greater London and the Home Counties. To have connecting feed here you probably need feed from the Philly end and there's nothing. So really this route is counting on Brits flying to Philly on vacation and SE PA people who want to go to London and aren't going with AA/BA to get status i.e. mostly leisure travelers. Is that viable yield?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
PDX possibly (leave around 1800 local time, land around 1200 UK time); another possibility is CVG (leave around 2230 local time, land around 1130 UK time).
Please God let it be CVG. A 752 could make it with no problem.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Please God let it be CVG. A 752 could make it with no problem.
Not having M/F is a real problem though. Maybe DL and VS can reshuffle to free up a slot for those two days? DL would benefit from CVG's increased ability to provide incentives for new service. Add that to some seat guarantees from local Fortune 500s.

In reality, CVG will probably have to wait for the PHL slot to open up.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Not having M/F is a real problem though. Maybe DL and VS can reshuffle to free up a slot for those two days? DL would benefit from CVG's increased ability to provide incentives for new service. Add that to some seat guarantees from local Fortune 500s.

In reality, CVG will probably have to wait for the PHL slot to open up.
Yeah that makes sense. It needs to happen though, one way or the other. Cincinnati has decent financial sector and obviously London certainly does.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:58 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by jrl767
a screenshot of a confirmation email and a BP?
You mean like this?
Attached Images  
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You mean like this?
It's an awesome flight for low-level business awards. FB seems to be the best booking option. 125K miles and $250 in fees RT. Korean Air wants 80K miles, but a ridiculous $800 in fees. Normally I value miles a little more than cash, but 45K miles ≠ $600.

Meanwhile, I just snagged the last J award seat on a VS flight. SFO-LHR. Feeling accomplished. There is an insane amount of TATL availability this summer. I mean insane. Must make the AA folks jealous.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jan 12, 2017 at 11:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by WWads
It's an awesome flight for low-level business awards. FB seems to be the best booking option. 125K miles and $250 in fees RT. Korean Air wants 80K miles, but a ridiculous $800 in fees. Normally I value miles a little more than cash, but 45K miles ≠ $600.
Agree. I also do a lot of one way awards ex-USA, often buying ex-EU discounted J. I also tend to be very last minute.

As an aside, one of the best Delta One flight attendant crews. It's truly a "jigsaw puzzle" doing a full service on a 757.

I actually wrote about this the other day. (Note : this link is to a site that I operate...)

Pondering Business Class Award Travel USA to London | British Airways and Delta
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Agree. I also do a lot of one way awards ex-USA, often buying ex-EU discounted J. I also tend to be very last minute.

As an aside, one of the best Delta One flight attendant crews. It's truly a "jigsaw puzzle" doing a full service on a 757.

I actually wrote about this the other day. (Note : this link is to a site that I operate...)

Pondering Business Class Award Travel USA to London | British Airways and Delta
Is it sad that you're the first person I thought of when this flight came into the discussion?

Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
Is it sad that you're the first person I thought of when this flight came into the discussion?

No, it's AWESOME.

Last year, AA (ex-USAir crew and plane) was flying AMS-PHL-AMS on a really crappy 757 (also empty in Y) for €24 base fares.

I must say the Delta 757 is AMAZING in comparison to the Ex-USAir old 757. Not to mention, Delta has "lie flat" in DeltaOne.

Service was very good on the AMS-PHL-AMS also, actually the best AA service I had last year. I'm convinced because it was Philly-based ex-USAir crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.