Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any reason to gift gold/silver medallion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

My wife only travels on Delta with me (shes an AA EXP), any reason to gift her Gold or Silver for my choice benefits? I need to order my GUC's today and want to make sure before I bank another 45k miles.
I know this has been asked 1000x times, but I couldn't find a quick answer....Im dumb.

Last edited by thepaul500; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Now that companions receive the same benefits, not really in your case.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've booked my wife/kids on miles and bought my ticket revenue to earn miles. Gifting them status can help with seat selection and other perks. If you're always on the same itinerary it doesn't help much. Sometimes I go on a work trip and they meet me later, so same thing applies.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Only really helps if she travels on DL without you somewhat regularly. If she does, gift gold. UGs + free SDC + free bags make it worthwhile
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
Now that companions receive the same benefits, not really in your case.
Companions do not receive same benefits when traveling on award tickets or PWM tickets if they have no status. Companions need to have some level of status, or you will both be disqualified from upgrades on these types of tickets (if you stay together on the same PNR). I've also found that my spouse pretty much consistently gets Pre-Check when she has status (she does not have GE). She stopped getting it when I let her status drop for a few months. I've been debating whether to gift her Gold again next year. But since we frequently travel on award tickets when traveling together, I suspect I will choose it again.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 11, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Companions do not receive same benefits when traveling on award tickets or PWM tickets if they have no status. Companions need to have some level of status, or you will both be disqualified from upgrades on these types of tickets (if you stay together on the same PNR). I've also found that my spouse pretty much consistently gets Pre-Check when she has status (she does not have GE). She stopped getting it when I let her status drop for a few months. I've been debating whether to gift her Gold again next year. But since we frequently travel on award tickets when traveling together, I suspect I will choose it again.
The limitations on award tickets are rather obnoxious.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks everyone for the help. She will make silver no problem by march anyways and we only have revenue flights booked till then, so it looks like its all moot.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
If you'd like to make someone's 2017, you could gift me status! @:-)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
In the holiday spirit (albite a bit late), I would love to exchange gifts. PM me.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I would say no in OP's scenario. She'd probably prefer a $200 Tiffany gift card.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The other significant benefit that does not extend to companions even when traveling together is free same day change, for which you need to be gold or higher to qualify. We use this more frequently than almost every other benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.