Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Old May 31, 22, 9:23 am

3 day string of Friday the 13th luck

A few weeks ago I got treated to quite the string of IROPs making my way from GFK to SFO, I finally received compensation from DL, but I am curious about how the outcome stacks up against what would have been expected by other FT members.
The initial itinerary was GFK-MSP-SFO in Y, leaving in the early evening, arriving just before midnight on 5/12.
However the inbound CRJ9 had been delayed all day due to a prior mx issue, and was running about an hour late, after pushing out from MSP they had a gate return, and after about 6 hours the flight was finally cancelled. Knowing that everything the next day was full they sent us down to FAR for the night, however the same CRJ was going to RON at FAR and fly the morning departure, but at 8 am the next morning, with that CRJ still stuck in MSP they cancelled again, and sent us back to GFK.
Rebooked onto an evening GFK-MSP-SLC-SFO I thought I was set, however on departure out of MSP we were delayed by about 2 hours due to another MX issue. Upon arrival into SLC, having missed the SFO flight, we were informed that they were out of hotels and that we would have to find one on our own dime. Finally at 11pm on day 3 I boarded the SLC SFO arriving just after 12:00AM on Sunday 5/15, four calendar days after initially leaving.

Transportation to FAR was out of pocket ($200)
Voucher for FAR hotel
Delta paid for the cab back to GFK
SLC hotel out of pocket ($230)
and Hotel transportation ($25+15)

Compensation from DL was 10,000+20,000 SkyMiles (10 being auto added, and 20 from an agent)
Retroactively $30 for food
$150 for the $230 hotel
and $50 for transportation

So a grand total of 30K SkyMiles + $230, for a 3 day ordeal and what ended up being about $600 in expenses and two missed days of work.

Personally the SkyMiles seem fair enough, but I’m left wondering whether the money side of things seem adequate.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 3, 22, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by broston
I was confirmed on a nonstop SAN-JFK using Delta miles. I volunteered to give up my seat for $800 in gift cards and a rerouting SAN-SEA-JFK. Instead of arriving in NY at 9 pm I would have arrived at 7 the following morning. Two hours before the SAN-SEA flight was scheduled to depart (and well after my original flight had departed), I received a text from Delta telling me the SAN-SEA flight was cancelled. They rebooked me to leave at 6 the following morning SAN-ATL-IND-JFK arriving in NYC c 14 hours later than I had agreed to. When I protested at the gate I was told they couldn't do anything and I'd have to to take it up with a gate agent in Atlanta the next day. I walked over to JetBlue and purchased a one-way ticket SAN-JFK for $653, cancelled the SAN-ATL-IND-JFK routing and requested that my miles be redeposited. Is it unreasonable for me to ask Delta to compensate me for the JetBlue ticket?
I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. Score $800 in VDB only to have your new itinerary blow up in your face. That's also a wild routing they rebooked you on - SAN-ATL-IND-JFK?!? Just curious - were there no seats on the direct SAN-JFK's or perhaps UA's SAN-EWR? Or getting you a ride voucher up to LAX and on a LAX-JFK non-stop?
Old Jun 4, 22, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Be careful with Delta.com bidding. CMH-ATL was advertised as oversold at check-in yesterday and I put in a bid. Got to the gate and there was no trace of our bid and the agent had already taken someone else (though, ultimately, it became a moot point as, given all standbys cleared, him saying "I probably won't need them anyway" was probably accurate).
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Be careful with Delta.com bidding. CMH-ATL was advertised as oversold at check-in yesterday and I put in a bid. Got to the gate and there was no trace of our bid and the agent had already taken someone else (though, ultimately, it became a moot point as, given all standbys cleared, him saying "I probably won't need them anyway" was probably accurate).
There’s certainly room for improvement in DL’s IT, but not sure jumping to this conclusion is helpful. Your bid could have gone through just fine, but perhaps the other passenger the agent had taken also put in a bid and got to the gate before you and presented themselves. So when you approached the agent - instead of explaining why the other passenger was taken it might have just been easier for the agent to say there was no record of your bid so they didn’t have to get into a “why was their bid taken before/over mine” situation. A plausible scenario that should be considered.

I haven’t bid on a VDB in a while on DL so not sure if their app displays if you do, but last week on AA they were asking for volunteers to bid on taking a later flight and on the AA app I could see a banner above my flight noting I was on the list and the $ amount I bid. Anyone know if the DL app displays this also?
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:15 pm

Had two flights on consecutive weeks cancel. One was IRROPS on a short flight out of DCA because of thunderstorms. The second was a transcon out of SAN with no explanation, but the arriving plane was canceled and I assumed caught up in the Memorial Day weekend mess. In both cases I canceled the flight myself, got a refund and booked my own alternate travel rather than trying to slog through multiple hours on hold.

Three days after the second cancellation Delta sent me an apology email with a 10k mile gift. The deposit was actually 15k miles.
Old Jun 5, 22, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI View Post
I haven’t bid on a VDB in a while on DL so not sure if their app displays if you do, but last week on AA they were asking for volunteers to bid on taking a later flight and on the AA app I could see a banner above my flight noting I was on the list and the $ amount I bid. Anyone know if the DL app displays this also?
Not that I've ever noticed; AFAIK you can't even submit a bid when checking in via the app. Any time I suspect a flight might be overbooked, I make sure to check in via the website if I want to bid (though the GA still has complete discretion over whom to choose, as you noted). Would be nice to display it just so you know it "took" though.

BTW although I know this came up in the context of the subsequent IRROPs after OP's VDB, further VDB-related followup should probably migrate over to the dedicated VDB/IDB thread: Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]
Old Jun 6, 22, 11:02 pm

I bought 3 tickets flying direct from Seattle to Tampa, scheduled to land 5pm. The flight was cancelled and we were booked on a redeye flight with a stopover in Atlanta, arriving 6am the next day.

I open a complaint case online. It has been 2 months, and I have not heard anything back. I called the number listed under Comment/Complaint 1.800.455.2720. The customer service agent told me he can offer me $25 credit for each ticket. I asked for more as the direct flight was priced couple of hundred more than the redeye at the time of my booking. He told me that I need to talk to customer service that handles complaints. But the line was cut off as he was giving me the number.

Anyone know what that number would be?
Old Jun 7, 22, 7:36 am

Add me in on the baggage discussion.
Previous time checking bag was on a reward trip with my family when two of my 4 bags missed the connection in ATL. Was not informed, and had to look it up after all bags were delivered to baggage claim. I requested delivery to the hotel and was told that it would not be possible so I would have to return two hours later, nearly midnight to retrieve the bags on the next flight. I wrote up a nicely stated complaint and beyond the robo response, I received no acknowledgement. It's been 10 weeks.
Most recently flying back on Delta 1 with a 3+ hour layover in ATL, one of my 2 bags did not make the connection, at least I was alerted upon arrival. They offered to deliver it to my house overnight and drop it on the front porch. Sure enough a bag was on the front porch, just not mine. Its been over 24 hours and they have not responded to my multiple inquiries. I have since been in contact with the bag owner, who had my bag and we were able to meet and swap the bags.
Compensation be damned, I would at this point just appreciate acknowledgement. at least have the common courtesy to tell me to jump in a lake.
Idaho Territory and altabello like this.

Last edited by ThompsonBr; Jun 7, 22 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:34 am

ETA it has now been >48 hours since they delivered the wrong suitcase and have not responded to multiple inquiries.

Originally Posted by ThompsonBr View Post
Add me in on the baggage discussion.
Previous time checking bag was on a reward trip with my family when two of my 4 bags missed the connection in ATL. Was not informed, and had to look it up after all bags were delivered to baggage claim. I requested delivery to the hotel and was told that it would not be possible so I would have to return two hours later, nearly midnight to retrieve the bags on the next flight. I wrote up a nicely stated complaint and beyond the robo response, I received no acknowledgement. It's been 10 weeks.
Most recently flying back on Delta 1 with a 3+ hour layover in ATL, one of my 2 bags did not make the connection, at least I was alerted upon arrival. They offered to deliver it to my house overnight and drop it on the front porch. Sure enough a bag was on the front porch, just not mine. Its been over 24 hours and they have not responded to my multiple inquiries. I have since been in contact with the bag owner, who had my bag and we were able to meet and swap the bags.
Compensation be damned, I would at this point just appreciate acknowledgement. at least have the common courtesy to tell me to jump in a lake.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:05 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I just got an unprompted 10k SkyPesos for my 2 cancelled flights, 2 mechanical delays, and subsequent missed connection during this past weekend's meltdown. It equates to 50% of the pesos that I used to buy the R/T ticket. I am currently a PM.
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by ThompsonBr View Post
ETA it has now been >48 hours since they delivered the wrong suitcase and have not responded to multiple inquiries.
Update, or lack thereof

I still have not received any contact from Delta regarding the delivery of the wrong bag. Wheresmybag.com finally responded with a "not my problem, contact Delta" canned response.
I have received two $100 eCerts and 10k SM for a recent rerouting from a cross country redemption trip with a connect to a direct, albeit worse seats.
I did not complain about the rerouting and was not expecting comp. IMO the bag screw up is much more worthy of at least an acknowledgement.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:38 pm

I'm curious about what I can reasonably expect in my current situation. I was scheduled to fly BWI-JFK-PRG. The day before the trip I was informed that the BWI-JFK leg was cancelled because of weather. I was offered BWI-MSP-CDG-PRG, but asked whether I could just take the train up to New York to catch the JFK-PRG flight. I was informed that that would work (the representative said that she added a needed segment to the flight information so that the system would know that I was taking different transportation, and later reconfirmed that the JFK flight would not be affected -- we corresponded online, so I have the text of the exchange). As I'm sure you can guess, when I arrived at JFK I was informed that my flight had been cancelled and I couldn't board; I was then referred to a supervisor who kept me waiting twenty minutes and then routed me elsewhere, and I missed the flight. Because of limited rebooking options for getting to PRG, it doesn't make sense for me to go now.

Representatives with whom I've spoken all have stuck to the line that Delta's not responsible for weather cancellations. From my perspective, I accepted that when I paid out of pocket for the train to New York -- the issue here is that their representative promised something about a flight that wasn't affected by weather that they didn't actually deliver. After complaining over the phone, I was offered reimbursement and a $200 voucher (but no hotel for the night in New York), which would just about cover the cost of the train to and from New York, but not address my being stranded in New York or unrecoverable hotel and conference fees in Prague. Is that the most that I can expect here? For what it's worth, I don't have an established prior relationship with Delta.
Old Jun 27, 22, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Just got a call from DL about my request for reimbursement for expenses on a May 16 incident -
Flying LHR-BOS-DCA on a D1 award ticket. LHR-BOS was fine, BOS-DCA departed a bit late but then weather caused 40 minutes of circling for DCA, then diversion to CHO (Charlottesville) where we sat on the ground, got refueled and then had the crew time-out. DL rebooked me for the next day - CHO-LGA-DCA preserving my FC seats.
The contract agents unloaded the bags and put them on the belt, but there were no gate agents - I tried for a 1 way rental but the car rental companies weren't having that so I booked myself a room at the Hilton. Transport, hotel, food, etc came to $231. Sent the receipts to Delta - got a call today and was offered a credit for $250 or a check for $231. I took the credit since I've got enough travel planned to use it. Delta also proactively credited my SM account for 15,000 miles the day after the problem. Not thrilled with an extra day of travel, but am satisfied with how DL handled it.

Traveled RDU-ATL-SFO on Saturday, June 25 - the ATL-SFO flight was cancelled the day before and I was rebooked on an earlier connection and held on to my C+ upgrade. That flight went out about 2 hours late, planned 45 minutes late but then delayed at the gate as they were trying to get 12+ volunteers for the oversell. Ended up arriving in SFO about 1 hour late. Yesterday I got an email-
Dear XXX
We apologize for the travel disruption you experienced yesterday. Reliability and providing excellent customer service are always important to us, and we fell short of our standards.
We will be issuing compensation via the email address or SkyMiles account we have on file within the next 5 business days.
If you need ongoing support for your travel, please log into
delta.com or the Fly Delta app. Please know that we’re doing everything possible to ensure your future travels with us are the best yet.
Thank you for choosing Delta.

I'll be curious to see what my compensation is for that one.
Credit posted today for 10,000 SM and labeled as Flight Cancellation Goodwill Gesture

Last edited by mot29; Jun 28, 22 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:42 pm

I received 10k SkyMiles as a Platinum because my seat had crumbs all over it and the air vent was leaking water. It took ~1 month for Delta customer service to get back to me though.
Old Jun 28, 22, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ankster View Post
I It took ~1 month for Delta customer service to get back to me though.
That seems to be the norm now, sadly. I still haven't gotten a response from a complaint I sent in on 6/17 which involved a cancelled flight. I remember when 48 hours was a long wait for a response.

Search this Thread